LegacyGT.com

Pontiac G8

Then maybe they are potential buyers. I just don't enjoy the looks of the car. It a personal thing.

I think it might be because.....this

http://www.velocityjournal.com/images/full/2007/221/pn2007g8gtshowcar22113985.jpg

Reminds me too much of this....

http://www.nissanhelp.com/Models/2005/Altima%20SE-R/02_2005_altima_se-r.jpg

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SRT4 was.

I don't think you can really call the G8 sedan ugly as sin. maybe not everyone's taste, but a lot of people think it is a handsome full-size sedan, somewhat like the E39 BMW 5-series. Standard looking, but still handsome.

It isn't sexy as we've ever seen, but it's a sedan, after all, and not a Quattroporte or Rapide.

The interior on the car is different. It is a step up from the standard GM interior. Everything about this car is straight from down under. From the center console mounted window controls to the blaupunkt head unit. It felt alright when i sat in it. It did have the standard big ass GM steering wheel though. Except the airbag piece was dead center instead of off center, which is a plus.

I sat in one at the Denver auto show too and again I wasn't impressed by it's interior. It's not as bad as others but it's still inferior to a lot of other ~$30k cars that I sat in that day. Don't get me wrong, it's a great performance value for the dollar but I suppose they had to save money somewhere. Speaking of bad interiors for a $30k car, both the Evo X and STI interiors were pretty awful in person, yikes.

GM has had center console controls since atleast the late 80s in camaros

Um...I am talking about where the cupholders are in our cars....isn't that the center console? As far as I know, GM does not have the window controls there in the center. The window controls are always on the doors in GM cars. The controls in the center is a British, and therefore Australian design.

What 30k car that even comes close to matching the performance of the G8, has a better interior?

Even without the performance measure the G8 interior is as good as most cars in the 30k range. The G8 starts at 27k and tops out at 33k (without taking on the $5000.00 dealer markups that are happening)

The interior is better then the:

Nissan Maxima

Dodge Charger/300C

Kia/Hyundai Sedans

Ford Taurus

Lincoln Zephyr

Same as the Legacy GT

But not quite as good as the:

Honda Accord

Toyota Camry

1 series BMW (if you can fit and find one with pleather)

G35 (if you can find one that cheap)

TSX

Whats wrong with the dynamics?

No idea. Maybe nothing. Haven't driven one. Just going on past history of the brand. There hasn't ever been one decent handling Pontiac that I know of.

I am talking of driver feedback, steering feel, balance, chasis response, weight transfer etc, not about speed.

However I know this is a brand new platform so who knows...

No idea. Maybe nothing. Haven't driven one. Just going on past history of the brand. There hasn't ever been one decent handling Pontiac that I know of.

I am talking of driver feedback, steering feel, balance, chasis response, weight transfer etc, not about speed.

However I know this is a brand new platform so who knows...

The Pontiac Solstice is pretty good dynamically for its price range. Again a clean sheet design, not a FWD chasis redone for the 10th time in 20 years.

If you read up a little bit on the car you will find that Pontiac had nothing to do with the engineering of the G8. Its dynamics are there.

Now if you could only do a clean sheet design for the dealership network.

Nice boxer-populated garage, there.

Thank you.

I wish Pontiac the best of luck with it. The GXP version is a very appealing package for a sub $40K sport sedan. And I think the cars design looks great. I'm sure it will freakin' move in a straight line, and the sound of that V8 will be intoxicating I bet. I hear the interior is great and all the reviews I have seen appear positive, so I think Pontiac may have a winner on their hands.

The RWD platform will make a world of difference alone.

Um...I am talking about where the cupholders are in our cars....isn't that the center console? As far as I know, GM does not have the window controls there in the center. The window controls are always on the doors in GM cars. The controls in the center is a British, and therefore Australian design.

Yes i know what the center console is, and in late 80s camaros and in some saturns which is GM they have window and hatch release contorls right buy the shifter on the center console. I was just saying GM has had that since 1987 i believe so thats 21 years.

I was 10, and my first car (that I bought) was an '88 in 1995. When 05GT Guru was only 8.

My/the wife's miata has central window controls. it always made sense to me. easier to reach than some on the doors, which usually end up behind my left knee, and a forward reach.

Plus it is fewer redundant switches, and less wiring into the doors, especially the driver's door. As long as one doesn't dump a drink into those switches, and ruin them, it should be just as good or better than switches on each door. (although the rear doors in the G8 probably each have a window switch, as it is harder to reach the main window controls on the console)

I was 10, and my first car (that I bought) was an '88 in 1995. When 05GT Guru was only 8.

My/the wife's miata has central window controls. it always made sense to me. easier to reach than some on the doors, which usually end up behind my left knee, and a forward reach.

Plus it is fewer redundant switches, and less wiring into the doors, especially the driver's door. As long as one doesn't dump a drink into those switches, and ruin them, it should be just as good or better than switches on each door. (although the rear doors in the G8 probably each have a window switch, as it is harder to reach the main window controls on the console)

You must have been rolling in '95 scoring an '88!...my first car (also bought in '95) was a '78.

It didn't have any features except a V8 and RWD...what else do you need?

Central switches are a decent idea, some cars integrated better than others.

Damn I feel old now...

My last car was a Celica GT-S with central window/door control, it's located right after the shifter. I always liked that design until the dogs figure it out. We have a community mail box so I usually leave the car running and just run out to check the mail. Well one day I had the dogs in the car and as soon as I left the car and closed the door, the dogs walked over to the driver's seat to see what I was doing. Of course they managed to push the central door lock button and locked me out. I walked around for a minute or two trying to figure out how to get back into the car. Then I realize there was a reason why I cary a spare key in my wallet. :p Morale of the story, central door/window control is great idea unless you have dogs. :lol:

I bought a 2700$ Fox mustang hatchback with a 2.3 liter and AOD automatic. it was a piece but it was pretty reliable and it was mine. Paid it off 6 months early on an 18 month loan.

Excellent experience for a teenager, more so now that I look back on it. I wished it had a V8, but I would have just gotten into trouble with it. I do really wish it were a 5-speed, though. The AOD was crap, and the ultimate downfall of the car. Rebuilt once for more than ~1000$, and I sold the car the second time it blew, for 300 bucks whole, and not moving, although it ran fine.

A 5-speed stick would have made the 2.3 liter passable, and fixed the only major reliability problem the car had.

I replaced it with a $6500 1993 Probe GT 5-speed with 79k miles at the time, in 1999, while I was in college. Much better car, FWD was the only drawback of any kind, aside from having a hell of a time getting the right ignition coil from the parts store. They didn't get it that it was a mazda engine, and kept giving me a generic ford coil that in no way fit.

Damn I feel old now...

My last car was a Celica GT-S with central window/door control, it's located right after the shifter. I always liked that design until the dogs figure it out. We have a community mail box so I usually leave the car running and just run out to check the mail. Well one day I had the dogs in the car and as soon as I left the car and closed the door, the dogs walked over to the driver's seat to see what I was doing. Of course they managed to push the central door lock button and locked me out. I walked around for a minute or two trying to figure out how to get back into the car. Then I realize there was a reason why I cary a spare key in my wallet. :p Morale of the story, central door/window control is great idea unless you have dogs. :lol:

I'm happy GM included Onstar with the remote unlocking feature....

Archived