LegacyGT.com

Pontiac G8

Don't forget the HUGE head/cam/intake/exhaust aftermarket for the LSx engines!

12s should be a walk in the park for this vehicle.

+1. Polish/ported heads, rockers, cam + previously mentioned "standard" hot rod mods and I wouldn't discount even high elevens.

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This car really excites me. The GXP model might be my next car. The interior (as seen at NAIAS) was allright. The buttons and stuff were better than standard GM fare, but I feel that the LGT interior switches and what not were slightly better. Better accents, better fonts...I would like to see what the car looks like at night with the illuminations...I think the LGT has done a really good job with that, so I would like to compare. In the end though, this car is probably quicker than the LGT in a straight line (not too much of a twisty guy myself...cmon I drive on the highway!), and for the amount you'd spend on stage 2 mods on an LGT, the mods for this car will probably far surpass the LGT in straightline accelleration. Plus, the LGT is paid for...I am never getting rid of it! :)

I have done alot of work with lsx cars, my ls1 with just headers and catback was running 12.6s-12.8s, it was 6 speed stick. The g8 could be a 12 second car with headers, exhaust and a tune. You would be around 420-430hp at the crank with those mods. If you really want some easy bolt on power just get a supercharger kit that pushs 6-8psi and it would be a low 12 second car with bolt ons and drag radials 11s would be easy. Or you can go with a cam setup or cam/nos. The internals can handle about 450-500rwhp, i have seen people push almost 600rwhp but thats not a good idea.

Fit and finish on my car is as good as the LGT. Quality of materials is better then the LGT in some areas (like the leather covered doors and center dash controls) but worse in other areas. (cheaper plastic by the defroster area in the front of the windshield) I don't care for the ATARI looking graphics on the top of the dash that shows oil pressure and volts. People are already working on mods for that area.

Audio: Better then the LGT. Still messing around with the gain for the subs. To me the Legacy was a 5/10 the G8 is a 7/10 for a stock system. The system has 11 speakers and 230 watts. It could really shine with some aftermarket speakers and amps. Good speaker mounting locations.

Power:

0-50mph: The LGT launched well when it was on boost... Very rocketship like. The G8 just goes but feels less manic doing it. The G8 feels slower until you look at the speedo. I haven't really launched the G8 real hard yet. Overall very close.

50mph + no contest. The G8 keeps pulling even as you get into triple digits. Its just a steady flow of torque through each gear. A stage 2 LGT will do the same thing but the G8 feels like it isn't trying as hard. With some mods it will really take off. The 6 speed automatic is really nice and smooth and gets better in sport mode but it is still no manual transmission. Tuners are already working on difference programs for the automatic. Not bad for an auto.

Driving comfort: The LGT rode well but I had a big problem with the seats. After 1 hour my back would ache. It just wasn't a good fit for me. (wish I would have figured this out during the 10min test drives) I'm 6'1 and 250lbs so I don't fit into everything. The G8 rides just as well even with the 19in wheels I have on mine. It is a solid yet forgiving ride. On the really torn up roads by my house the G8 takes them with ease. (it would upset by LGT a little and really threw the GTO around) 2 weeks ago I spent a lot of time driving a Mercedes S550 around. The G8 rides very similarly to that when I had the S550 in sport mode. It doesn't beat you up at all but won't let you fall asleep either. The seats are very good. Not as good as my GTO but they are easier to get in and out of because the bolstering isn't as thick. My wife says they are harder then the GTO also. More like a BMW seats then Volvo seats (remember the 780 volvo...wow). Back seats are GREAT. Confortable and very big. I can sit behind myself and have plenty of extra legroom.

One thing amazing about the car (other than performance and price) is the freaking monster trunk. Holy crap it's huge! You could fit like 2 bodies in there.

But, like others, I am waiting to see the GXP. A corvette engine in a sedan? You got my money!

Guest heightsgtltd
I have a hard time believing that the interior is any worse than ours. Our isn't bad, but the pics I have seen of the G8 look better. Maybe they aren't in person?

One thing amazing about the car (other than performance and price) is the freaking monster trunk. Holy crap it's huge! You could fit like 2 bodies in there.

But, like others, I am waiting to see the GXP. A corvette engine in a sedan? You got my money!

The should make a ls7 g8 and just say to hell with 400 we need 500.

I have a hard time believing that the interior is any worse than ours. Our isn't bad, but the pics I have seen of the G8 look better. Maybe they aren't in person?

It's a weird feeling interior. I didn't walk away saying that it was any better or worse than my LGT. It misses on some critical things, aka no Homelink. Wtf, no homelink? It's hard to compare the two on interior though because the car is so much bigger. There is alot of room that they didn't put gadgets or gizmos in, its just plain. The seats seem nicer, thats for sure. The back seats have tons of room. No folding rear seats is retarded but it has this monster pass through.

It's a weird car. It's kinda like comparing an LGT to an G35 or 3 series. Cost/performance wise it wins, but it doesn't have the extra touch of luxury that the classier brands have. It's just raw enjoyable performance.

That's not to say it has a low class interior. It definatly isn't budget, but it doesn't put it in a BMW or Audi territory.

Guest heightsgtltd
I guess the test for me would be the alu-plastic bits. They look awful in my 05 GT, but look (at least in the photos) a hell of a lot better in the G8

It misses on some critical things, aka no Homelink. Wtf, no homelink?

Also missing bluetooth and XM. GM really rushed to get this car out this year. GM was also trying to keep costs down to keep the value factor there.

'09 bring all of these options. Hopefully I can add bluetooth after the fact. I would describe the interior as solid.

6spd manual is a option. I think the first few were autos. So do more reseach before you make statements.

Not knowing what you are talking about FTL.:lol::lol:

Nice car I am on the fence right now. I still like my LGT wagon and just bougth a 20g so, I will have to wait for the wagon and I hope the will make it in the GXP. I just hope my wife will stay be at her job when I'm ready to buy one. My wife works at a Pontiac dealer so I can get a GT auto well equip. for $29K right now.

I'm sorry I was tired and rude. In many mags they say the V6 can have a 5sp manual or auto and the V8 can have 6 sp manual or auto. The manuals will come later.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Like the V6's red tail lights more than the GT's black ones. Like the subtle rear spoiler.

Still wish there were more LEDs in use, though... still incandescent indicators all over the car.

Looks like a very nice ride, potentially, though. Love the central window switches. HATE the location of the cupholders. The Legacy is barely passable between your elbow and any drink in the holder. the G8 is going to make the inboard arm rest unuseable when there is a drink in the holder.

And what the hell is with the short passenger wiper blade. I know the Legacy one is short, but that is like 6 inches long on a 3 foot arm, and very close to the wide driver's side blade.

Something else about the car I wasn't used to was the TINY side view mirrors. OMG, so small!! What was awesome, it really didn't feel alot heavier than my LGT. It switched lanes with ease (other than that small mirror). Now I just need to convince my wife that Pontiac doesn't mean white trash :(

Actually, the GXP is rumored to look just like the G8 base and GT models, with the GT's black tail light housings. (I still prefer the base red ones... the black ones are better than chrome ones, but still too "altezza" to me.)

I like the way the HSV tail lights light up, but I have no idea why they don't meet the trunk shut line. They look too small and too far apart, the way they are there. They actually look better from the side, than the back.

Just something about a lot of bumper below, a lot of body-surface above, and an extremely wide trunk between them, that make the HSV tail lights look way out of scale and shape for the car.

Something else about the car I wasn't used to was the TINY side view mirrors. OMG, so small!! What was awesome, it really didn't feel alot heavier than my LGT. It switched lanes with ease (other than that small mirror). Now I just need to convince my wife that Pontiac doesn't mean white trash :(

The mirrors are a bit small. Kinda weird for such a big car. The more i'm driving it the more I like it. You should see the attention it gets.

Lol, there is always a faster driver than the magazines, always. I have seen magazines say 98-02 ls1 F-bodys should run a 13.6-13.8 stock i went a 13.2 and i have seen a bone stock WS6 run a 12.8. Stock meaning everything down to the factory tires. Im sure a 12 second run could be done with everything perfect

Archived