LegacyGT.com

Pontiac G8

I know there are already several G8 threads but I actually bought one and driven it at length. (not magazine racing or reviews of reviews)

Basic comparison to Legacy GT (I had a GTO in between)

I really liked my LGT but I had a few gripes that pushed me to get a GTO. I loved the GTO but I missed a lot of the LGTs qualities.

I hated the LGTs seats, clutch and shifter. The studder became tiresome and embarrassing. I also wanted the sound of a V8 and the low end torque. Besides that the LGT was a great all around sports sedan. (had awesome seat heaters to keep my wife happy)

The GTO had great seats and awesome power and sound. Just not very practical and the handling was heavy. The car always felt a bit dated. The image and exhaust didn't lend itself to business but was always great driving around in the summer with the windows down and V8 howling.

When I test drove the G8 GT I realized I found the car that was the best of both worlds. Great seats, huge interior and decent fit and finish. Once I drove it I was sold. The handling was amazing for such a large sedan. It drove like a 550i BMW but the interior feels as big as a 750i. (drove both a short time ago) The engine feels great. Its quiet and more refined then the GTO but still reminds you that its a small block motor. (don't diss a Chevy pushrod V8 until you drive one) The 6 speed auto is pretty good. The sport mode actually changes the shifting and response. It doesn't feel nearly as light on its feet like the LGT but I have a lot of fun on the backroads. It actually feels like a totally complete car from GM. Every other GM car I have driven felt half baked. If you are looking to get a larger sports sedan (and you don't mind losing AWD) then take a look at a G8. They are a good performance value. I really love this car and the GXP can only make things better.

From a mod standpoint things are just starting up. A high octane tune looks like it takes the engine back to the 400hp mark of the GTOs. One outfit it claiming low 13s with just a tune.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l215/danielz1836/IMG_1886.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l215/danielz1836/IMG_1869.jpg

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh man! I sooOOOO didn't need to hear this :wub: I've contemplated one of these! Congrats! Great decision. I'm thinking about a G8 but am trying real hard to hold out for a 6MT Camaro/Z28 whatever. Sweet, sweet ride! Must make phenomenal burbling noises....

There is a YouTube video of a stock G8 pulling mid 13's and a tuned-only G8 running 13.12 btw. And for all you Subie fanbois, the thing handles pretty damn well and hooks up hard :rolleyes:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLrYJgvwtJY]YouTube - Pontiac G8 @ Tune Time Performance Track Rental[/ame]

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

13's is slow in my book. What would it take to do 12's?

Huh? 13's slow? From an OEM sedan? :confused: What were you expecting? An OEM LGT 5MT is pulling about 14.0 at best... and this is an auto.

Exhaust, pullies, intake, headers, tune (relatively inexpensive and easy) and some Hoosiers or Mickey T's and I'd gamble you're looking at mid 12's.

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

Goodluck neelnug.

Ride, handling and quality nowhere near Subaru LGT, I think.

Holden bought BMW 5 series cars and took them apart to build that car. It's almost a reverse engineered car. Look at the suspension details and the small front overhang. Here in Aussie, the two big car magazines and newspapers feed us with Holden technology week in week out.

Goodluck

I went and test drove the G8 a couple days ago. Did a little freeway and a little city driving. Did I walk away thinking "DAMN I NEED THIS CAR." Not exactly. The interior is cool, but engine is every quiet till you punch it but the punching it just didn't seem that fast :) Then again I am hard to please on speed I guess. But, really, the only thing that sucked was the plastic emergency brake. Kinda was goofy (and no fold down seats :() But other than those two things it's definatly not off my list of next car purchases. Very spacious, nice sound when you punch it, and looks hot!!

Congrats!!

Guest heightsgtltd
Motorweek show said that the lack of folding seats had to do with a desire for better structural rigidity

Motorweek show said that the lack of folding seats had to do with a desire for better structural rigidity

I think they should have said it had something to do with saving money, structural rigidity !!!! :lol:.

I think the battery they have in the boot (trunk) was something to do with weight distribution! They forgot the car needed one I guess.

No manual tranny FTL.

GM prolly wants me to fork over another 5k (or more) to get a GXP, so I can pay even more for the manual tranny option. Noice.

6spd manual is a option. I think the first few were autos. So do more reseach before you make statements.

Not knowing what you are talking about FTL.:lol::lol:

Nice car I am on the fence right now. I still like my LGT wagon and just bougth a 20g so, I will have to wait for the wagon and I hope the will make it in the GXP. I just hope my wife will stay be at her job when I'm ready to buy one. My wife works at a Pontiac dealer so I can get a GT auto well equip. for $29K right now.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Like I said before,in Aussie we breath holden, there is a wheelsmag on my lap and I can tell you this, only GXP (the one to have, seriously) will have manual tranny and there will be no G8 wagon, pontiac says it's overloaded.

6spd manual is a option. I think the first few were autos. So do more reseach before you make statements.

Not knowing what you are talking about FTL.:lol::lol:

Nice car I am on the fence right now. I still like my LGT wagon and just bougth a 20g so, I will have to wait for the wagon and I hope the will make it in the GXP. I just hope my wife will stay be at her job when I'm ready to buy one. My wife works at a Pontiac dealer so I can get a GT auto well equip. for $29K right now.

Not yet..... GXP will. Still possible for GT in '09.

I will get interior pics up shortly. The pics aren't of my car. (exact same combo, another G8er got the same car the same day so I used his pics)

Huh? 13's slow? From an OEM sedan? :confused: What were you expecting? An OEM LGT 5MT is pulling about 14.0 at best... and this is an auto.

Exhaust, pullies, intake, headers, tune (relatively inexpensive and easy) and some Hoosiers or Mickey T's and I'd gamble you're looking at mid 12's.

I guess your right. 13's is a great number in OEM. The GPX next year will be a great car... so will the car in my signature..

Steven

Archived