LegacyGT.com

M3 --> Lgt?

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hate agreeing with RC, but he's right. People need to read, take it for a spin.

To say that the spec b interior can compete with the an m3 interior is another bad joke. In the M3 you're not going to have a slew of rattles like you will in the legacy, I know my buddies M3 with 60k has no rattles. My legacy with 43k however has several rattles. The interior hands down is not even debateable.

Let's see. Not an entirely fair comparison, but my spec.B at 15k miles has no rattles, except for a slight buzz in the passenger speaker at high volume only during certain Audioslave songs. Something about Chris Cornell's voice...

2004 BMW M3 with 50k miles had a very noticeable, loud and annoying rattle in the back deck. We tried to track it down, and couldn't place it. We thought it was the CD changer, but it was from the other side of the deck. On top of that, a brand-new E46 M3 off the lot has considerably more road noise.

What else about the interior of the M3 is that great? It's not the leather. Forgetable. It's not the user interface for the information center - even without IDrive, it's still annoyingly difficult, and I'm an engineer who speaks German!:lol:

It's not like it's a Lexus, fer criminy.

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

That would be the day, a legacy with a vf40 even being able to be in the same parking lot as a gallardo. Since this thread has gotten so rediculous I'll tell you guys about how I raced my brother's hayabusa turbo and completely smoked him, easily to 300miles an hour, you should have seen it.:lol: What you guys don't believe me? He was really trying and I was just tapping on the throttle.

2004 BMW M3 with 50k miles had a very noticeable, loud and annoying rattle in the back deck. We tried to track it down, and couldn't place it. We thought it was the CD changer, but it was from the other side of the deck.

Gotta do the "stuff the tennis balls in the rear deck" trick (in my case old nerf balls), works everytime :lol:

One that that you need to consider on a new(er) SpecB as well are tires. The Spec has summer rubber and the very first mod on a Chicago Spec should be winter tires. The REO50s are better rubber than the RE92s on an LGT for summer driving, but you are asking for trouble in cold weather!

ContiExtreme Contacts 215/50-17. Extra sidewall FTW in pot hole season.

The RE050 are summer only rubber that perfectly compliment the Spec. However, avoid using them or at least curtail nominal performance expectations below 40F.

... a SpecB will handle similarly to your M3 in the winter without making that initial change. No one else seems to mention this in their responses to your question, so I thought I'd let you know of that expense right off the bat when acquiring a SB.

Just my $3K

fixored

Your $3K because that what's it worth for a very well thought out GT suspension.

The great advantages of the BMW are ... the brakes. Fantastic brakes.

Infiniti and Honda have better feeling brakes as well. The LGT/Spec brakes are good but do not add in any great way to the elusive "driver confidence" factor. The Spec. brakes (I say Spec.B because of the different rubber) require too much commitment. They'll work pretty well if you hit 'em hard but there are more subtle OEM braking set ups out there.

With the sloppy conditions we've been getting in Chicagoland here in early 08 complete with gaping potholes, you bet your fat effing ass you're right, rao.

Well everybody races in the snow on the street :lol:

Are you saying that I am fat ???

And on a race track I am assuming that the Subaru is sTILL better, especially if it is a spec B.

This thread is silly.

Well everybody races in the snow on the street :lol:

Sure. Why not?

Are you saying that I am fat ???

Not really. ;)

And on a race track I am assuming that the Subaru is sTILL better, especially if it is a spec B.

This thread is silly.

How many cars ever see "the race track" and its perfect pavement? :lol:

This has been re-hashed so many times...

But I'll try to add on.

For X amount of money that will cover an E46 M3 or a 2006 Legacy GT Spec B... (07-09 Spec B applicable, aside from stage 2 engine tuning is different with SI-Drive...)

It depends on what you value.

All-weather chicagoland performance... Legacy GT.

Looks: For you, draw. For others, M3 wins. As a Legacy owner, the good looks of the car become evident. But to non-owners, and most people thinking that the roundel holds inherent superiority, they'll be more impressed with the BMW. Plus it is a coupe.

Reliability/Maintenance: Subaru hands down.

Mods: Subaru again, Turbo Subarus can be tuned VERY effectively, relatively cheaply, possibly within the budget of considering a nice E46 M3.

Handling. M3 stock, Legacy modified. Again, see Mods category, modding is cheaper, as well as the car being less expensive. Again, under the budget.

Brakes, same as Handling, with Brembos, or other aftermarket stainless lines, STI-sourced calipers, and pads, could probably rival BMW or Porsche.

Amenities: BMW hands down, but you'll $$$$$ Pay for it, both in sale price, and possibly in maintenance costs, if they break later.

So, it depends what you want. If you want a car for YOU, and you don't care what other people think, the Modded Legacy GT, or Spec B is probably easier to live with, maintain, and drive through the winter.

If you like other people's attention, the BMW will get you that, where the Subaru won't. If you want the toys, the BMW will do the same. But it is going to be harder to drive in the winter, more expensive to mod or repair out of warranty, and is going to be slower than someone else's modded Legacy, for the same or less $$$ for the Legacy.

(snow tires for either one, or ANY car, for the winter, BTW.)

Personally, I'll keep gradually modding my Stage 2 Legacy GT, and eventually equal or surpass every aspect of the performance of a Spec B, or E46 M3, and for less money than both.

BUT, if Subaru of America keeps up it's moronic ways of cutting down the turbo Legacy, my next car might be a used BMW or Porsche instead. BMW isn't abandoning it's performance customers. Porsche never will.

BMW isn't abandoning it's performance customers. Porsche never will.

I don't know about that.... Current crop of BMW are quite porky and the lesser engaging drive compared to previous generations. I think they are trying to turn it around with the 1 series but I don't see how how the driving experience will be markedly different from the current 3 series.

The market for Bimmers has been better over the years, although not as good as Germany. The E36 M3 we have here came with 240 hp. The European version came with 333 hp. They finally upped the power to their specs with the E40. The 1 series comes in hatchback for Europe, and Coupe here. Same engine, though.

I would buy a new M3 over an IS-F in a heartbeat.

With less performance and a higher sticker price then the M3. Why would you get an IS-F?

Your better off getting an AMG C Class:woowoo:

How do you know if the IS-F has less performance or not?

From early reviews of the car and what Lexus has stated as the performance figures.

Ah yeah I recall reading those. 350 hp est. pretty weak. Lexus just put it up on their website. 418 hp. 0-60 in 4.6 seconds. 16/23 mpg. Not too shabby IMO. Lexus just needs to grab the 6MT from the STi and stick it in there.

Archived