LegacyGT.com

M3 --> Lgt?

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know what to tell you about the M3. I couldn't tell you how far away the car in the right lane was, maybe like an 1/8 mile away, but he got pretty pissed. He tried again after that and he was pulling ahead, but still couldn't make it.

And Richard, your comment about the Geo is pretty stupid. He wasn't flying at me and I saw him way off in my rear view and I punched it... I was doing about 75 and he was about 4 car legnths behind me and then changed lanes to try and pass me, so I punched it. Let's see a Geo hold of an M3 right when the M3 tries to pass. Nice post...

Maybe i'm going crazy, but not being able to drive my M3 much at all in the last few months has really got me wondering if an all season performance car is the way to go. I've liked the LGTs for awhile, when I sold my RSX it was between a Spec B and an M3, i went with the latter, an 02 however. The car is amazing and it would be hard to part with it, but between the weather and the horrible roads around here i'm not able to enjoy the car to its full potential. Ive also been checking out S60Rs, but the LGT-B seems more... painless to own and mod.

So the question is, can I build an LGT to M3 performance numbers and still maintain a civilized vehicle? I do own an '00 outback now and im definitely not crazy about the ride quality and rattles (although it does have 82k, 78k of which I didnt own the car for). Next question would be... who wants to trade me theirs? :)

I don't know what kind of potholes you have out there, but I woudn't be doing much work on the suspension if you want to drive it all winter.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

in that sense...

how many "sporty" cars have double wishbone with anti roll bars? lots right? you can't fairly call that as a equalizer.

what about the bushings? camber? caster? etc...last i checked everything played a part and not just what looks similar on paper.

Your right... and guess what? the spec. b actually has more light weight components then the E46 M3 suspension:lol:

You can't get to trick with Macpherson strut suspension. The difference in what is allowable for camber, caster toe and camber curve between different manufacturer's machperson strut designs are negligible. What is truly annoying about this, is that most cars carry Macpherson strut suspension in the front of the car. Where you need the most adjusment and a good camber curve.

Anways, we're taking about suspension design. There is nothing on paper or real life that gives the M3 strut/multilink suspension any advantages in geometry over another manufacturer's setup.

Camber and caster settings do little to cure woes of the bad camber curve that macpherson strut suspension exhibit.

The M3 suspension does nothing special to gain camber during suspension compression or lose large amounts of camber during suspension expansion. Also, it exhibits changing roll center height during body roll(roll center height drops quickly under suspension compression). You can play around with camber, caster and bushings all you want. However, your fighting a losing game against the nature of Macpherson suspension. At best you might be able to miitigate bad behaviour in some situations. Again, BMW does nothing magical to combat the inherent flaws in this suspension design.

Wow lots of responses. If the M3 wasnt such a beautiful and respected car it would be a lot easier to make a deicion without all the superficial factors getting in the way. Although it is hard to give up the presence the car has. It is a great handling car but im not much into Autox so that isnt a big issue. My M3 is probably a better investment over the long run in terms of depreciation, but the age of the car and maintenence that goes with it pretty much makes it flush. Plus the fact that I can go stage 2 for less than what a full exhaust will cost me for the M3. What it comes down to is all season driveability, rewarding straight line power, and overall reliability (an 07 has a 4yr factory warranty??). I dont have navi now, so thats a plus, and things like the gauges and heated wipers are cool features. Just would need a few cosmetic mods so I can garner at least a few stares from other drivers :)

Welcome to the hornet's nest that gets stirred up whenever you start this sort of discussion! It's been a while since this sort of discussion has raged on LGT.com (since last summer, I think, but that might have been the 335...).

With any 6 year old bimmer, maintenance has to be a concern. It's not called a "break my wallet" for no reason. It seems that you are fairly knowledgable on the LGT and you probably have trolled here for a while prior to posting (I did the same thing).

One that that you need to consider on a new(er) SpecB as well are tires. The Spec has summer rubber and the very first mod on a Chicago Spec should be winter tires. The REO50s are better rubber than the RE92s on an LGT for summer driving, but you are asking for trouble in cold weather!

Other mods are great - my order was sways, STS, DP, TMIC and tune, but a SpecB will handle similarly to your M3 in the winter without making that initial change. No one else seems to mention this in their responses to your question, so I thought I'd let you know of that expense right off the bat when acquiring a SB.

Just my $0.02...

I haven't read this entire thread, but here's my 2 cents anyways.

I looooooooooooooooove M3's. Especially the E36. After owning a stage 2+ LGT for over a year now, I decided to test drive an E40 M3. Gorgeous car, well built, and exceptional fit and finish. Very smooth and powerful motor... Very wide powerband as well. But it really did feel slow compared to my LGT.

You can build a Legacy to be as powerful or more powerful than your M3 and still be very civilized for daily duties. There are so many options for parts since we share parts with the STi. You can't do too much to the M3's I6 (except maybe a Dinan Supercharger :wub:).

Plus, 4 doors, AWD, and potential to be faster than an M3? Can't beat that.

Oh yeah... And about half the price of an M3! :p

I have an 05 lgt and my friend collects m3's he has a 95 and 02 my car beet them both. I raced the 95 when I was only stage one and then I upgraded to stage 2 and raced his 02 I won by a hair everytime I raced him, bmw likes to stretch out there hp they only have 312 to the crank we dynoed both his cars

If you wanna make an m3 really fast the only way to go is Forced induction, or put a built v8 in one. But with the inline 6 you need FI, i have seen a few with twin turbo setups making 700-800rwhp. And with the boost controller set to low boost the cars were very drivable, i mean i wouldnt want to have one as a DD but it idled perfectly at 700rpms and drove like a stock car. The only thing that was a little annoying was the stage 4 clutch and solid mounts made the car feel stiff when you shift.

The new V8 M3 should rectify the lack of power. Unfortunately, the new M3's weigh a bit more and competition in that segment of the market has become fierce.

The caddy CTS-V will be rediculous in a straight line. Hopefully, GM got everything else right...

Well the car is gonna be nice and will obviously have better suspension components over the CTS, although the CTS is now AWD. But the CTS-V will handle well, aswell as a 4200lbs car can be expected lol. The CTS wont be GM goin all out for handling either its still gonna have to keep some of that luxury ride.

Too overpriced.. if I go AWD it'll be the Legacy or an S60R.. although its hard to find a lot of feedback on the Volvo.

S60R is sluggish down low, and has nothing but problems. Parts are more expensive since it's a model that Ford pitched and haven't set up any support for them. The Halidex system is basically FWD 90% of the time, and very antiquated when it switches to AWD. Overall, the car looks tits, and is pretty nice on paper, but I've seen nothing but problems with them.

Best bang for your buck is the LGT. You can always get a faster car that handles better and breaks better but you have to pay the price. As far as I'm concerned The reliability is better in the LGT than any BMW and the performance you get for the price cannot be beat while retaining the reliability.

If i was rich i still would def not be buying 1millon dollar cars, a bumper of those cars costs 30 grand if something were to happen to it. Besides with 1.2millon i could have fully built 5 of my dream cars and the veyron is def not a dream car for me atleast.

Honestly though, I am a huge Subby fanatic, but have you honestly looked at a 04 Audi S4? Great car all the way around. I had a 2001 S4 and would love to get a newer one.

I honestly think that the Legacy GT is the best car for your money out there though.

M3 are great, unfortunitely my penis is not small enough to drive one. ( I make that joke but in all actuality my pocket book is not big enough.)

Yes they are mid to high 13 second cars, most people i have seen with stock 02 m3s have ran 13.6s-mid 14s with a novice driver. Like i said i have never seen a stock m3 run faster than a 13.6 im sure it has been done i just havent seen it. So a stage 2 LGT can run those numbers some stage 2s run low 13s. So if you wanna know how to beat a m3 with a LGT make the LGT stage 2.

Up here in the mountains, a stock LGT will run a high 14. I've seen one run low 15's (5MT and didn't know how to drive)... I ran a high 14 stock. I ran a low 14 stage 1... high 13 stage 2... 13.6 is my best at Stage 2.5. I wonder what I would run at sea level...

Well forced induction cars are less effected by the change in altitude, a friend of mien has a 500rwhp trans am all motor, ran a 10.8 at 5000ft above and 10.1 at sea level. 10.8 was his best tiem and he has been to that trakc many times, the 10.1 was on the third run of 5 and thats the only time he has ran at a different track.

Archived