LegacyGT.com

M3 --> Lgt?

Ah yeah I recall reading those. 350 hp est. pretty weak. Lexus just put it up on their website. 418 hp. 0-60 in 4.6 seconds. 16/23 mpg. Not too shabby IMO. Lexus just needs to grab the 6MT from the STi and stick it in there.

Lexus has there own 6 speed manuals that have proven to take more power than any 6 speed sti tranny

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You said "LEXUS", and yes I know that Lexus is an arm of Toyota.

There is no current car using that transmission, since the IS doesn't seem to be getting much of a manual transmission option.

So when you said "Lexus has their own..." You meant "Toyota had their own... once upon a time."

Next time, say what you mean, and mean what you say. :D

Yep, lol, i was just making the point that they have experience with a successful 6 speed and could easily have another. When they bring the supra back im sure there will be a 6 speed option. Im just waiting for those 93+ models to drop in price, they are ridiculous, people want 15k for a non turbo with under 100kmiles its sad.

What 3.5l are you talking about? And no lexus doesnt exsist in JDM, but the 2JZ exsists in lexus, the Is300 the Sc300 all had that inline 6 3.0liter that can handle gobs of hp. I think supras sold bad because they were setup to sell bad, my 87 was a 30k+ car in 1987, and it made 245hp at the crank and weighed 3800lbs. They were overpriced and underpowered. The 93+s still 3800lbs but now they came with the 300hp, still not worth 40grand in 1993. They are overpriced for what they are

Americans won't spend the big bucks on a Nissan, Honda, or Toyota. That's why they came up with those names. I remember there was a huge discussion about whether to make the S2000 an Acura or a Honda. They thought it would sell better as an Acura, but they wanted to show what a Honda could do. Or something like that.

Americans won't spend the big bucks on a Nissan, Honda, or Toyota. That's why they came up with those names. I remember there was a huge discussion about whether to make the S2000 an Acura or a Honda. They thought it would sell better as an Acura, but they wanted to show what a Honda could do. Or something like that.

Mazda thought about going that route as well.

Yes but by having these brother companies they arent just making the same exact car, sure the engines and trannys are the same, but the cars themselves are far better. Interior wise lexus owns toyota, same with Acura over honda by far. I odnt really car what happens in JDM world i live in America and if they wanna make more luxurious versions of there cars to sell to us let em, atleast we get the cream of the crop.

Mazda didn't commit to it, though, and the Millenia was only one model. You can't build a second brand with only one model.

Subaru couldn't with the Alcyon (sp?) either, what we know as the SVX.

And toyota may build 40k cars now, but they didn't when the first Lexus LS came out in the 90s. And I doubt Toyota could market the current LS through Toyota dealerships, alongside the Yaris. There is a Lexus version of the Land Cruiser that is even more expensive, as well.

A Toyota LS is not going to have the same panache or dealer experience as the Mercedes S-class. That is why Lexus exists in the US.

Toyota in Japan is the home team, as are other Japanese companies. They don't need as much differentiation to compete with premium products from Europe, or brands in the US that try to be premium, like Lincoln, Buick, and Cadillac, which haven't traditionally been imported into Japan, which are percieved to be much more important than Ford, Chevrolet and Pontiac. Perception matters in the US market, to the US consumer, because we have been taught that for more than 50 years by the ad-men.

Japanese automotive market hasn't developed the same way, and the "domestics" in Japan have always undercut or competed directly against european imported cars, and then exported them to the US to undercut US domestics, and european cars here.

Not to mention the cultural, technological, and geographic differences in the japanese market before and after WWII, compared to the US mass-marketing the automobile much earlier in the 20th century in a much larger geographical area that utilized motorized conveyance much more than a small, culturally ancient, closed island civilization.

Show me a well equipped Land Cruiser for only $55K, my folks will buy it.:lol::lol:

Can it be pre-owned?

Oh man I didn't realize how much the cost of the Land Cruiser is now. I remember when we first looked at them back in '98 and they were $50k. Now, you might as well spend the extra $10k and get the LX570. Geeze Toyota.

Can it be pre-owned?

Oh man I didn't realize how much the cost of the Land Cruiser is now. I remember when we first looked at them back in '98 and they were $50k. Now, you might as well spend the extra $10k and get the LX570. Geeze Toyota.

I'd still buy the Land Cruiser over the LX570.

Trust me you'd want the new 5.7L V8 and the 6 speed auto. The old 4.7L V8 was kind of a dog.

I like that the 5.7L puts out 120 more hp, 50 more torques and the gas mileage is better.

Credit the double overdrive 6 speed for that. My Tundra has the same motor/tranny combo, and at 75mph it only turns over about 2000rpms. That is pretty relaxed cruising especially for a big truck with a 4.30 rear end.

On my last trip to Lincoln, NE I averaged 19.2mpg on the trip there. Unfortunately the trip back was into a 25-30mph headwind and it shot my average all to hell on the way back (16.5mpg). Oh well weather is a bitch especially when you are driving a 5600lb brick.:lol::lol:

Archived