LegacyGT.com

M3 --> Lgt?

BMWs do handle well but i am a person who likes to be put into his seat on a straight away, the M3s feel like they are lacking torque everytime i have driven one.

I don't think you drove those M3's properly :p 295 ft·lb of torque on the new M3 or 262 ft lb on the old is a lot.

You are comparing naturally aspirated engines to turbo engines. You have to work the power band in a natural aspirated engine. Turbos always feel like they have more power because the power comes on in a rush its not progressive it just hits you and you're off. Thats why the torque figures of Turbo cars almost always nearly match their HP number.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Or maybe its just because my T/A was making 360 torque the the wheels and my supra was 487 to the wheels. I drive alot of N/A v8 cars so i know what powerband feels like. The m3 was a 260trq which comes to about 220 to the wheels, that isnt that much for a rwd car.

What's wrong with you people? :lol:

The M3 may not BE a better car but the vast majority of people THINK it is a better car. If you don't believe that then look at Subaru sales results vs BMW sales results in the US.

The BMW is certainly better appointed. Just deal with it.

RC - stop with the LSX swaps into everything; there are very few BMW LSX swaps around. Mine is special ;)

Wow lots of responses. If the M3 wasnt such a beautiful and respected car it would be a lot easier to make a deicion without all the superficial factors getting in the way. Although it is hard to give up the presence the car has. It is a great handling car but im not much into Autox so that isnt a big issue. My M3 is probably a better investment over the long run in terms of depreciation, but the age of the car and maintenence that goes with it pretty much makes it flush. Plus the fact that I can go stage 2 for less than what a full exhaust will cost me for the M3. What it comes down to is all season driveability, rewarding straight line power, and overall reliability (an 07 has a 4yr factory warranty??). I dont have navi now, so thats a plus, and things like the gauges and heated wipers are cool features. Just would need a few cosmetic mods so I can garner at least a few stares from other drivers :)

Cracks me up how quickly this turned in to an apples versus oranges comparison. I would take a 'stock' m3 e46 any day over my stage 2 lgt if I could afford the maintenance, not just because the e46 won't fall flat on its face while it pulls to red line like the lgt's vf40 turbo will but because its an M3. Face it guys, the legacy gt will never get the same respect an M3 will. The m3 drives like a dream, as for the mention of lack of torque on the M3, is that a joke? It has much more torque off the line than our 4 cylinder and will pull till redline. My buddy has one and I don't want to race him, because I know who is going to win and its not going to be my stage 2.5 lgt. (I can't wait to hear someone say if you knew how to drive you would smoke the M3):lol:

As for handling on the dry, the specb will never run like an M3 will stock. You can put whatever suspension you want on the spec b, it will handle great but not like the M3.(wheel base, 50/50 weight distirbution, rwd) If you slap some good tires on the M3 it will be fine in the snow, my buddy runs his in colorado with snows in winter and hasn't had a problem. If you are planning on getting a spec b you will need snows anyways because the tires that come on the spec b are dedicated summer tires.

The spec b is great car for the value, as RC said. The M3 stickers for almost twice the price the spec b and it feels like it when you drive it, to compare these two cars is not fair. The spec b is a family sedan, the m3 is a sports car, the two are not in the same class. If you can afford to maintan the m3, do it. If you're like most of us on here and want a reliable car with minimal maintenance, and have the ability to mod cheaply get the spec b. My .02.

I own a 05 lgt and driven 02 M3 on a regular basis about six years ago. If you like driving and care to save $$ without any doubt you should go with lgt. You don't even have to go for spec b. Regular lgt + $3k (at most) and your lgt will beat any stock m3 any given day and if on that given day it happened to rain for an split of a second you can even afford to wait a couple of seconds before you give it some gas. on the other hand even as a lgt owner I do have to admit that M3 looks far better than lgt.

Maybe i'm going crazy, but not being able to drive my M3 much at all in the last few months has really got me wondering if an all season performance car is the way to go. I've liked the LGTs for awhile, when I sold my RSX it was between a Spec B and an M3, i went with the latter, an 02 however. The car is amazing and it would be hard to part with it, but between the weather and the horrible roads around here i'm not able to enjoy the car to its full potential. Ive also been checking out S60Rs, but the LGT-B seems more... painless to own and mod.

So the question is, can I build an LGT to M3 performance numbers and still maintain a civilized vehicle? I do own an '00 outback now and im definitely not crazy about the ride quality and rattles (although it does have 82k, 78k of which I didnt own the car for). Next question would be... who wants to trade me theirs? :)

why not a 335xi?

Yes, that is why i am goin stage 2 probably around summer time, i wanna run the car atleast once stock. The trq increase on a stage 2 LGT will kill anything you could bolt on to a m3 to increase its torque

torque in an all out drag race is only applicable in first gear.

what are the trap speeds of said cars?

that stage 2 etc bs is only for stop light racing. try a highway "pass".

they are rated practically the same for torque but the hp is much better for the m. you guys really need to give credit where it is due. i would love to see a stock subie out handle an m3.

Ummm..

I was pointing out the fact that LGT and e46 M3 have basically exact same supension setup. There is nothing magically about the M3 suspension.

The M3 is not a sports car get over it. The M3 is no god car either

I actually chose a spec. B over a used E46 M3.

If we're taking about suspension designs, the 911 is unspectacular as well. It uses Macpherson front struts and an impaired(by space) multlink suspension in the rear. Ever driven a lowered new 911 at the limit?

Fun experience....

in that sense...

how many "sporty" cars have double wishbone with anti roll bars? lots right? you can't fairly call that as a equalizer.

what about the bushings? camber? caster? etc...last i checked everything played a part and not just what looks similar on paper.

One time on the way to Philly, I was driving the GT (completly stock) and a dude in a white M3 ran up on me in the left lane and tried to go around, and I don't know what he did, but I just put it in 4th and he couldn't get by me before the car in the right lane was right in front of him and he had to nail the brakes.

Probably a stick and he had no idea what he was doing. But I took him, so I didn't know they were that fast. I guess I just got lucky?

One time on the way to Philly, I was driving the GT (completly stock) and a dude in a white M3 ran up on me in the left lane and tried to go around, and I don't know what he did, but I just put it in 4th and he couldn't get by me before the car in the right lane was right in front of him and he had to nail the brakes.

Probably a stick and he had no idea what he was doing. But I took him, so I didn't know they were that fast. I guess I just got lucky?

a geo metro could have done the same stunt. you didn't "take" him. you simply played traffic cop.

torque in an all out drag race is only applicable in first gear.

what are the trap speeds of said cars?

that stage 2 etc bs is only for stop light racing. try a highway "pass".

they are rated practically the same for torque but the hp is much better for the m. you guys really need to give credit where it is due. i would love to see a stock subie out handle an m3.

finally someone with some sense.. its scary to think that even V6 accords now are getting traps over 100mph.. definitely dont want to try that on a highway pass

If you're a stock lgt racing an m3, the m3 would blow the doors off your ride. He either wasn't trying or didn't have enough real estate to make the pass.

finally someone with some sense.. its scary to think that even V6 accords now are getting traps over 100mph.. definitely dont want to try that on a highway pass

new accord coupe ala mag says trap is 103.

camry was already cracking 99.

what is the trap of a stock sti?

just funny that the "Faster" cars are driven by older folk who don't abuse what they have.

Too overpriced.. if I go AWD it'll be the Legacy or an S60R.. although its hard to find a lot of feedback on the Volvo.

if?

every owner of the 335i says they beat your model m3. there is a chip you can get for it and run probably very close to the newest m3.

i am sure you can spec one at 40k.

Stock for stock the M3 is a bit quicker than the 335 but its not hard to blow it away with some chipping no doubt. Ive seen some 335i's below 40k, but the Xi is only available as an 08 I believe. I'm looking to keep cost the same or less as what my car is valued at (26-28k).

Archived