LegacyGT.com

Clearing up all the oil info....

Ok, thanks a bunch. I'm thinking that I'm going to go with penzoil platinum 5w-40 for my next oil change. Is this a step up from M1? I haven't really seen much input with penzoil here but my buddy uses it in his sti and has 0 issues with it.

I've been thinking about Penn Platinum in our 2016 Outback 3.6R, been hearing good things about it.

You can get at a lot of places, sometimes on sale. It's on sale currently at walmart.

I have been a big fan of Castrol too. Use that in my lawn tractor and snow blowers and my 86' F150.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I've been thinking about Penn Platinum in our 2016 Outback 3.6R, been hearing good things about it.

You can get at a lot of places, sometimes on sale. It's on sale currently at walmart.

I have been a big fan of Castrol too. Use that in my lawn tractor and snow blowers and my 86' F150.

Where are you seeing that it's on sale? Are you talking about the pennzoil platinum 5w-30? Or the 5w-40, because I only see the 5w-40 for $10 a quart

I thought last Sunday's Walmart ad in the paper had it. one gallon for like $22. or something like that. I did walk into the automotive section and look at it, but I really needed car wash. Not ready to change the oil in the new Outback yet. Just doing my homework.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I thought last Sunday's Walmart ad in the paper had it. one gallon for like $22. or something like that. I did walk into the automotive section and look at it, but I really needed car wash. Not ready to change the oil in the new Outback yet. Just doing my homework.

Wait what.... New Outback?

Wait what.... New Outback?

Yea, We picked it up early Dec. 2016 3.6R with eyesight and pretty much everything else. Its her car. She has 1800 miles on it in almost 3 months. We put the first 1000 miles on it in about 3 weeks.

One nice feature the new cars have is a oil temp readout in the NAV unit. I watch that when she lets me drive it. It does get a run down the highway a couple times a month for about 15 miles. The oil temp gets just over 190F in the cold evening air.

I've have a Legacy 3.6R MY 2016 since August last year. Have been using Pennzoil Ultra 5-30 and will continue as long as they sell it. That was the only oil I could use without worries in my 2012 Genesis 5.0L R-Spec. There were many short block replacements of that engine due to oil consumption. The Ultra is expensive and hard to find. I don't care because it's worth it to me. JMHO.

Interestingly, M1 5-30 extended performance works extremely well in my wife's Volvo XC-60 T6 Turbo, now with 80,000 miles and zero consumption ever. Not a drop. I absolutely could not use the same oil in my Genesis. [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my wife also has a '16 3.6r outback w/eyesight. Its very nice... we get our first four oil changes free from the dealer, so I'll probably let them go ahead with that (they've already done the first one at 3k)... but afterwords the penzoil platinum is probably my go-to, if not RT6. I follow a few oil threads on nasioc and BITOG and that oil has some good analysis data.

My WRX burns 30wt like gasoline. Rotella T6 has been friendly to every vehicle I've owned, and it's convenient to stock just one oil for two turbo cars, a motorcycle, and a diesel truck.

It's not expensive either.

Ive been running 5w30 Royal Purple HPS for about 15k miles in my leggy and my brothers STI and no burning and the difference is really noticeable between the other synthetics ive used and royal purple. HPS ( synerlic additive) has like extra zinc or some voodoo in it.

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

Ive been running 5w30 Royal Purple HPS for about 15k miles in my leggy and my brothers STI and no burning and the difference is really noticeable between the other synthetics ive used and royal purple. HPS ( synerlic additive) has like extra zinc or some voodoo in it.

I watched a video on royal purple vs M1 when they were chilled at -40 Fahrenheit and royal purple was suuuper thick while M1 was a lot thinner. Personally, I could never run Royal Purple in my car year round because of the Wisconsin winters but hey, if it works it works!

• 4 months later...
A new store opened up near us at the Dixie Value Mall in Mississauga that was selling Pennzoil Platinum for a discount of 40% under the $28.88 jug price. This store was the old Sears clearance outlet. That would be $17.33 plus tax. The Miata loves the stuff (but it hated Mobil 1). The Subaru is much harder on its oil, but it does survive with Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30. The name of the store is Treasure Hunt. Edited by amptramp

• 2 months later...
I switched the oil in my new-to-me 05 lgt with 149k miles, coming up on 150k to Rotella T6 as everyone says. There's a slow leak that may or may not have been there since i've worked on a few things like the oil cooler (bad but i got it tightened up and dry). It's at the corner of the head (meaning head gasket leak) and i know this is "rare but not impossible" on our cars. as a last resort, I want to switch it back to dino. i had a benz which leaked with synthetic but stopped when i reverted to dino. i'm hoping it could work. I'll just stick to a strict 3k change depending on what I observe. What's a good dino that you guys can recommend - Rotella non-synth? That's what I used to use on the benz. I think the dino Rotella is 15w-40 - maybe too heavy. Edited by jsmythe

I would fix the leak instead of experimenting with oil that may clog something - especially when it's a turbo engine.

The oil I am going to use is approved for severe usage on turbodiesels. I would not call this an experiment. The leak is mild - a drop or two overnight. I'm not gonna spend 25% of what the car cost on an engine takedown to do a head gasket replacement on a car this old and just for that work. Besides, if it stops what do I lose? I'll report back on results...

I switched the oil in my new-to-me 05 lgt with 149k miles, coming up on 150k to Rotella T6 as everyone says. There's a slow leak that may or may not have been there since i've worked on a few things like the oil cooler (bad but i got it tightened up and dry). It's at the corner of the head (meaning head gasket leak) and i know this is "rare but not impossible" on our cars. as a last resort, I want to switch it back to dino. i had a benz which leaked with synthetic but stopped when i reverted to dino. i'm hoping it could work. I'll just stick to a strict 3k change depending on what I observe. What's a good dino that you guys can recommend - Rotella non-synth? That's what I used to use on the benz. I think the dino Rotella is 15w-40 - maybe too heavy.

In the early days of synthetics, the poly-alpha olefin base caused shrinkage of seals and this led to leaks. It was found that adding esters caused seal swelling that offset the seal shrinkage. High-mileage oils added even more esters to ensure seal swelling. The new API-SN oil grade also provides excess esters so seal will continue to swell.

If you have a head gasket leak, I doubt changing to a different oil will do as much as you would like. 15W-40 should not be used anywhere - it slows down oil movement through the bearings and puts large pressure drops across the filter. You may think that the oil pump is positive displacement and therefore the oil speed through the bearings would not change, but the bypass would open sooner and farther and divert most of the oil around the pump.

If you do use a dino oil, Pennzoil yellow bottle is as good as anything. Note that the earlier Rotella oils are API-SM rather than API-SN, so you don't get the additional esters.

Edited by amptramp
additional info

I do understand that it's a long shot and nothing will swell a head gasket. I am searching for a suitable non-synthetic "hi-mileage" oil but haven't found one. I'll report on my results. I have a Fumoto valve on there, oil changes are a snap. Edited by jsmythe

Are you sure you don't have the common valve cover gasket leak that most of us have.

HG's on GT's seem to last pretty well.

In my click here link about post 26 you'll begin to see pictures, one I posted shows the valve cover gasket leak.

That motor ran 154,000 miles on dino oil, 5w-30 which ever oil was on sale at walmart, most of the time it was Mobil 5000, sometimes Shell and Exxon motor oil's. Towards the end I would use Rotella t5 in the summer time only.

Lots of useful information here - more than most people will ever need. Takes patience to find what you're interested in, but it sure confirmed my preference for Pennzoil Ultra and more recently Ultra Platinum.

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk