LegacyGT.com

School me on home brewing

rc0032

• Mega Users

I brewed a ryePA yesterday with around 8oz of cascade. I went with scotch ale yeast this time since I've had some bad luck with the American ale yeast I usually use for this beer.

I'm thinking a double hefe for my next batch. The last one was awesome.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Mega Users

I'm picky about my hefes. I normally wouldn't order one, but I like making them because it's a bit more of a challenge. I do a triple decoction and ferment them at 55F so they don't taste like bananas.

I can't find citra around here for a reasonable price. I still haven't used it. I need to just order a few pounds this fall.

How about something big?

Bottled up my ESB yesterday. Took a little taste and it taste's pretty good for only a single 60' hop addition. I can't wait to see how it turns out in a few weeks after it bottle conditions.

Also went to Portland-U-Brew and Pub with my dad yesterday to go through the entire process of all-grain with a brewmaster and brew 15 gallons of a beer of our choice or own design. We ended up doing a Imperial IPA and hit our target of OG at 1.074 dead on! The brewmaster's said it should give us about an 8% ABV and 100+ IBU's.

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z386/bgreenen/P1000975.jpg

Ours is the one being filled + the two behind it. The ones to the right that were already filled is a regular who started with a Mirror Pond clone and has been tweaking it little by little every time he comes in. Smelled really good and had a little bit of a chocolate note to it. The other ones were a Pineapple IPA and then one of the brewmasters was doing a wheat beer.

Great time for $150 bucks for 15 Gallons of beer!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just picked up this bad boy. 12.5 gallons.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n210/shearbiggity/eef8a228.jpg

I'm in the process of browsing upright freezers on Craigslist right now. I'm excited to finally be able to brew lagers. :spin::spin::spin:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived