LegacyGT.com

School me on home brewing

rc0032

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Mega Users

I'm planning one as well. I think my friend and I are going to do 2 different ones to see how they come out and we'll split them.

I'm thinking of using about 40-50% pumpkin in the mash and using a shit ton of rice hulls. Probably about 1.080 og with some vanilla beans and a some spices.

Ooooooh. I'm going to sit down at work once I get all caught up and try to plan out exactly what I'm doing.

Unfortunately it will be an extract brew as I haven't found a good mash tun worth the asking price at any local homebrew shop.

I might end up building my own in a few months.

• Mega Users

Or you could go with BIAB. If you know someone with a sewing machine and 5 minutes of time, you can turn your kettle into a mashtun with about $5 worth of white voile and nylon thread. Get a large colander to set the bag in to drain and your good. That's how I started out. Cost an extra $10 to go start all grain and I saved like $25 on the first batch by not having to buy extract.

How big is your kettle?

I ended up building my own mash tun. The usual cooler with a stainless braid from a sink line in the bottom.

Kettle is a 5 gallon.

I hadn't really thought about BIAB. Read a bit about it before. I'll look into that more.

That cooler mash tun is exactly what I'd been looking at.

I've already got all the stuff to do this extract pumpkin so by the next time I brew (probably mid November) ill probably have put one of those together.

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up building my own mash tun. The usual cooler with a stainless braid from a sink line in the bottom.

I went this route and brewed the beginnings of a bourbon vanilla porter this weekend.

Got that fermenting away, a pumpkin ale which I will be adding vanilla and cinnamon to during secondary (it's a week into primary) and I also started a 4 gallon batch of blackberry honey cider from fresh organic Yakima valley apple cider.

• Mega Users

Denny's bourbon vanilla porter recipe? If so, that was my second ever batch. It's a great recipe!

Currently waiting another week to bottle a wheat wine. Still have the red rye in the fermenter. I need to bottle it ASAP but can't find the time!

Thats the one!

I tweaked it a bit though. Used a bit more chocolate malt and debating adding some cocoa nibs to get a bit more chocolate flavor (Wife like's chocolate and said she wants that to be one of the flavors that comes through).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I've got my Christmas ale aging on Oak cubes right now. It's starting to get really tasty. I think it's about ready to be bottled. It's a 10 gallon batch. I think I'm going to let the second half have another 2-3 for some extra woody oakyness, then keg. I have a session Pale Ale planned for Thursday and might even do a Rye IPA on Friday if the weather holds up.

Archived