LegacyGT.com

School me on home brewing

rc0032

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any recs?

I think this is the one I read and I really liked it! Easy read and good info.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0937381888/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1342639075&sr=8-1

I'll double check when I get home later tonight to make sure that's the one.

I lied.

This is the one I read. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Illustrated-Guide-Brewing-Beer-Comprehensive/dp/1616089172/ref=sr_1_28?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1342650578&sr=1-28&keywords=brewing+beer]Amazon.com: The Illustrated Guide to Brewing Beer: A Comprehensive Handboook of Beginning Home Brewing (9781616089177): Matthew Schaefer: Books[/ame]

I have flipped through the one you ordered though and it seemed like a great book!

• Mega Users

Also keep in mind that howtobrew.com is the older version. Palmer has admitted to going along with internet trends that are not correct. He fixed a bunch of things in the new version. Plenty of good info on getting started though.

I got into the jamil show on the brewing network because it gives recipes for beers I can buy. IMO, there's no point in making clones, but it can really help get you familiar with ingredients and how potent they are. Its nice to drink a beer that you like and know the ingredients, amounts, and process that went to it. Its valuable information for recipe writing.

I also recommend going to a U-Brew place if you have one over by you. I did my first batch at home that was an extract.

The next batch my dad and I went to a place called Portland - U - Brew & Pub to do our second batch which was a 15 gal. all grain batch. The cool thing about doing that was:

a. There were 2 brewer's there to walk you through the whole process

b. It was like $170 and yields about 140 beers (12 oz. bottles) so a little over $1 per beer.

and c. We had the pub right upstairs to keep our glasses full the whole time!

You can get a lot of insight as to why things are done how they are from the brewers while they walk you through the process. It really helps to clear up any confusion you might have being able to talk to a knowledgeable person who can answer your questions.

Sounds like a good time, gotta check it out.

I also recommend going to a U-Brew place if you have one over by you. I did my first batch at home that was an extract.

The next batch my dad and I went to a place called Portland - U - Brew & Pub to do our second batch which was a 15 gal. all grain batch. The cool thing about doing that was:

a. There were 2 brewer's there to walk you through the whole process

b. It was like $170 and yields about 140 beers (12 oz. bottles) so a little over $1 per beer.

and c. We had the pub right upstairs to keep our glasses full the whole time!

You can get a lot of insight as to why things are done how they are from the brewers while they walk you through the process. It really helps to clear up any confusion you might have being able to talk to a knowledgeable person who can answer your questions.

• 3 weeks later...

So... If i got a stage 2 ebrew kit... (6 gallon kit)... How much space would this take up in my basement? Ie - what's the approximate thumb print dimensions that you would estimate i need?

I honestly dont think i have the space for it after we finished our basement, and left a fairly small unfinished area... With a kid coming, that small storage area is only going to get tighter!

• Mega Users

Also do some research on two stage. IMO, it's a waste of time and it will only add O2 to your beer. I've had great results with single stage just leaving it in the fermentor for around 10-14 days (for low-medium abv beers) if fermentation temp is good. Transfer directly to bottling bucket with priming sugar or dried malt extract and you're ready to bottle. Most yeast will fluctuate out in that time and as long as you give it time to resettle after moving the container, it will be fine.

This is one of those areas where you'll get huge variations in opinion.

All you need is a little closet space for everything like seabass said.

I put my kettle, carboy(s), bottling bucket, bottles, and various utensils and what not all in the closet along with my vacuum and a few other items.

Also, don't order offline for a starter kit. Go to a local home brew shop and talk to them. They usually have package deals with better quality materials for around the same price as your finding online. Plus they can tell you what you really need an don't need based of of what your goals are.

• 1 month later...

Bump. What's everybody brewing lately?

You end up taking the plunge?

Thanks guys. I would buy it in store. I was using that link as a reference more or less.

Still on the fence. Wish my garage was climate controlled. Hmmmmmm... :)

Archived