LegacyGT.com

School me on home brewing

rc0032

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bottling is easy. It's just tedious. Make sure you measure your priming sugar correctly.

I don't like the rack and siphon. It was a pain in the ass if I had an air bubble or something. an did have to fill the tube with water and create the vacuum again. I'm looking into some kind of spring loaded bottler. Any recommendations?

This is why I keg now. So tired of bottling.

Plus a chest freezer and a few Corey's take up less room than cases of empty/full bottles

Well, Im only doing 1 gallon batches now at the moment :lol: one day maybe Ill start brewing enough to get a keg. Id like to get my feet wet with smaller batches until I learn the proverbial lay of the land

Your bottles are gonna blow up!

I was expressing concern to lady about how I measured out the honey/sugar exactly, but was worried because I was about 11oz short of the expected yield that they might over carbonate and explode. I was half joking, but her face was sheer horror :lol:

One concern I had big time, as as i got to the bottom of the fermenter, it was basically just cloudy, murky stuff. I was unsure or siphoning it, because I didnt want to get any yeast and have it spoil the flavor. I opted out of siphoning it, and was left short one bottle of the expected yield. Next batch, should I have the some concern? or should i just get it all, as long as its not the heavy sediment on the bottom?

I don't like the rack and siphon. It was a pain in the ass if I had an air bubble or something. an did have to fill the tube with water and create the vacuum again. I'm looking into some kind of spring loaded bottler. Any recommendations?

You want an auto siphon and a bottling wand.

http://morebeer.com/view_product/8126//The_Easy_siphon_3_8_inch

http://morebeer.com/view_product/6949//Bottle_Filler_with_Removable_Spring_3_8_in

Are you using a bottling bucket?

One concern I had big time, as as i got to the bottom of the fermenter, it was basically just cloudy, murky stuff. I was unsure or siphoning it, because I didnt want to get any yeast and have it spoil the flavor. I opted out of siphoning it, and was left short one bottle of the expected yield. Next batch, should I have the some concern? or should i just get it all, as long as its not the heavy sediment on the bottom?

It won't really affect the flavor if you rack a little of that stuff over. You see yeast sediment in a lot of bottled commercial beer. If you refrigerate your fermenter (aka "cold crash") for a few days before bottling, it helps to pack that stuff down there tighter. Overall I wouldn't really be concerned with it unless you are racking a bunch of it over.

The first things to get under control are yeast pitch rate and fermentation temperature control.

So, I checked out my bottles after one week of carbonation.

Some of the bottles have a good amount of sediment on the bottom. The most being almost 1/8"

Should I assume these will have some off flavors? it's an IPA.

Also, what is a good method of bottle carbing? For some reason, Im not a fan of the method I used. It just doesnt seem exact enough for me. and would rather have something I measure out int to the bottle directly.

Also, I believe I will be switching to a bottling bucket. Way easier!

Never used them because it seems way more tedious a task to me. But for 1 gallon batches your probably only getting 10-12 bottles? Probably not that bad. Give it a shot!

Exactly my thought process. Plus I like tediousness :redface:

Im going to head to my brew shop next week and get some stuff for my next batch.

Im going to get:

Bottling Bucket

Conditioning tabs

Auto Siphon

and MAYBE one of these bad boys:

http://stores.mdhb.com/-strse-266/Vinator-Bottle-Rinser-for/Detail.bok

Yeah Those are nice, and if you plan on bottling for a while it will pay for itself in time saved

I need to get/make a carboy/keg washer

Im going to give myself 5 batches. if I can get 5 batches done well, that are plain and to the recipe, then I'm going to start experimenting.

I'd like to re-make a batch of chocolate cherry stout that I made once with a Mr. Beer kit that was... not very good. I feel I could re-make it with real grains, and it would end up being a great beer

I would look up recipes on homebrewtalk.com . You can find recipes that have been tested and tweaked that you can go by for just about anything you want to make.

i tink I actually have an account there. My brewshop has a wall full of recipes for free. They include a lot of originals, but also famous beer clones. There's one for SNPA and Stone IPA. I remember those off the top of my head.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Mega Users

HFF, look up some can you brew it recipes from the brewing network. Most of them were given directly from the brewers so they could clone the commercial beers. It's a good way to hone your process when you are making the exact recipe of a beer you're familiar with. The recipes have been transcribed in a thread on homebrewtalk.

I'm gonna finally bottle about 12 gallons of beer that have been sitting for a month. I've been busy with other obsessions lately.

• 2 weeks later...

Will do!

this is a Peanut Butter Porter that sounds interesting enough to try!

3 quarts water for mash

1 gallon of sparge water

2.4lbs Pale

.2lbs Carmel 60

.1lb Chocolate

.2lb Roasted Barley

.2oz Northern Brewer Hops

.1oz Fuggle

1/2 cup skimmed natural peanut butter

pinch of irish moss

60 min mash @ 150F, then mash out @ 170F.

75 min boil, adding .1oz Nor Brew hops & peanut butter @ 30 min. Add remaining .1 Nor Brew hops @ 45 min. Add Fuggle and pinch of irish moss at 55 min.

Chill to 70F, rehydrate dry yeast and pitch. 7-10 days in primary, and 7-10 days in secondary.

its for a 1 Gallon batch

• Mega Users
That looks good, but with that much roasted barley, you're gonna get a lot of roast. Not a bad thing if that's what you're going for, but it's way more of a stout than a porter. If you want intense dark with less astringency, look for dehusked caraffa or blackprinz malt. They will give a malty roastiness that is mellow while adding a ton of color.

That looks good, but with that much roasted barley, you're gonna get a lot of roast. Not a bad thing if that's what you're going for, but it's way more of a stout than a porter. If you want intense dark with less astringency, look for dehusked caraffa or blackprinz malt. They will give a malty roastiness that is mellow while adding a ton of color.

I honestly kind of thought the peanut butter aspect would work better with a stout. I feel the peanut butter flavor is better with a more...full beer. Does that make sense?

• Mega Users

Bottled 6 gallons of creme brulee stout last week. It came out awesome. Going to finally bottle my belgian pale ale today. It's a trial run for the recipe and if good, I'll be rebrewing it with brett.

After that, it's a corn and rye "beer", then my annual english barleywine for next winter.

• Mega Users
I honestly kind of thought the peanut butter aspect would work better with a stout. I feel the peanut butter flavor is better with a more...full beer. Does that make sense?

It will definitely work. I just wasn't sure if you were looking for a stout or porter since you called it a porter.

It will definitely work. I just wasn't sure if you were looking for a stout or porter since you called it a porter.

Thats what the guy who gave me the recipe called it. Im happy with a "peanut butter beer" :lol:

my first porter will be done fermenting this Saturday. So i might chuck it in my fridge for a couple days before bottling and see if that helps things out for me. I haven't picked up anything for my next batch.

My first batch, my IPA was weird. a gallon yielded about 10 bottles. My first 3 were great, exactly how they should be, then the next 3 were gushers. I'm not sure why. They WERE in my car for a 6 hour trek to CT, so they got kind of warm, and maybe shaken? then the last one I had was not a gusher, but tasted a bit medicinal. I THINK it was an off taste from the amount of sediment that was in the bottle. I had trouble bottling my first time and got way more in than i wanted. i still have two bottles in my fridge, so I want to try them

Archived