LegacyGT.com

School me on home brewing

rc0032

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just have a couple basic questions that I'm sure I can research, but anything beer related is blocked at my work.

Does the beer continue to ferment until it is cooled down? Basically I'm wondering b/c kits seem to typically be about 60 12oz bottles. I dont have that kind of room and would want to avoid a big investment until I see if this is for me. So, unless I get those 60ish bottles in a fridge, they will continue to ferment?

This is the quick and dirty about how it works for extract starters:

Boil water and grains (2-3 gallons) place these into a 6.5 gal container and add water to reach 5 gal total. This is the fermentation phase it will last 1 week. Then you move the beer to a secondary for clarification for 2 weeks (some argue leaving it in the first container for 3 weeks total and skipping this step) after this its "bottled" and let sit at room temperature for 3+ weeks to condition. Then place as many or few into the fridge for consumption.

A 5 gal batch will make right around 48 bottles or two cases. so you need the ability to store a bucket and some equipment; for me I stole one of the closets in our house :lol:

What would happen to those that may not fit in the fridge? If they are left in the bottle, wont they continue to condition; creating a different taste to those that went in the fridge earlier?

Basically, I have space for everything non-fridge related; we have an unfinished basement. I just dont want to have to buy an additional fridge, or make a kegerator. So, as far as boiling, the largest pot I would need is about 3 gallons (the remaining 2 gallons are just room temp water)?.

they will continue to condition and that's great because they get better (from what I have read) im at 4 week on my first batch in the bottle. So no need for a second fridge or anything. I also like variety so im looking to always have a few kinds on hand. Its like red wine and will will get better with age but peak at somepoint (time depends on brew type)

The size of the pot depends on how far you take the hobby. A large stock pot will get you started but im already shopping for a 7.5-10 gal pot :hide:

Edit: here is some info on buying kits http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/best-place-buy-brew-kit-82391/

If you plan on ever using a outdoor propane burner "turkey fryer" kits are a pretty good deal.

my problem with the turkey fryer is the heat cutoff system I keep reading about. I want something just just burns :icon_twis I am looking for a post turkey day sale ;)

If you plan on ever using a outdoor propane burner "turkey fryer" kits are a pretty good deal.

this is what i use. it was like 30$ from ebay. its probably a 10 gallon. very easy to control the heat. im not sure what i am going to do in the dead of winter though.

Im assuming you read this sticky on yeast washing, but in case you missed it...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/yeast-washing-illustrated-41768/

I did thanks! I was actually going to wash the yeast from the tripple I put into secondary but didn't have the supplies and how oftain would one really brew a tripple? But at $7 something a package it gets up there in the overall cost of a brew.

For my next 3 beers I based them all on a California Yeast so I figured I could wash the yeast after the first beer, then brew the second beer with the washed yeast and throw the 3rd beer; the AB clone with a high OG, on top of the cake from the second beer.

Tomorrow im going to do a Apfelwein :)

From what I can tell, you can get a basic brewing kit with everything need for $60 plus shipping, right? Then an extra $30 for ingredients. Plus whatever bottles set you back; maybe another $30. So an initial investment of about $120?

bottles are easy...get your friends to drink sam adams or other beers that do not have twist tops and wash and recycle the bottles. i bottled my first batch and that is what i did. i was drinking the beer anyway...no extra cost for the bottles. just a thought.

transferred the pumpkin from the primary to the secondary...tasted good...cant wait until it gets done!!

bottles are easy...get your friends to drink sam adams or other beers that do not have twist tops and wash and recycle the bottles. i bottled my first batch and that is what i did. i was drinking the beer anyway...no extra cost for the bottles. just a thought.

+1 My basement is full of bottles from all of my friends helpin me out lol

by the way, i keg now and have a crap ton of bottle caps and priming sugar and the capping tool-plastic...anyone interested? i can go get a real count on these.

500 bottle caps

8 bags of priming sugar for 5 gal brews

pay shipping and they are yours if you want them.

transferred the pumpkin from the primary to the secondary...tasted good...cant wait until it gets done!!

Can bottles just be run through the diswasher for "sanitizing"?

Can bottles just be run through the diswasher for "sanitizing"?

you will need a bottle brush or faucet connection to wash the bottles to ensure they are clean. not sure if a dish washer will leave anything soap wise in the bottles...you also need to bake the bottles in the oven for about an hour at 350 prior to use to sterilize them prior to using them. some recommend putting foil on them prior to baking others bake open. i didnt use the dish washer, so no info there. after use you will have some sediment in the bottom of the bottles that will need cleaned after homebrew use. the sediment is from the yeast that acts with the priming sugar to carbonate the beer.

by the way, i keg now and have a crap ton of bottle caps and priming sugar and the capping tool-plastic...anyone interested? i can go get a real count on these.

500 bottle caps

8 bags of priming sugar for 5 gal brews

pay shipping and they are yours if you want them.

How much would shipping be I'll take it off your hands

How much would shipping be I'll take it off your hands

i will box them up tomorrow. not very heavy and i have some bubble wrap for the priming sugar. if your serious just pm me your address and i will put them in the mail and pm you the shipping. shouldnt be much, so im not worried. let me know. i also have the bottling wand and capping tool. cleaning out my closet. let me know.

Archived