LegacyGT.com

Subaru adondoning manual transmissions?

This is my second Subaru. The first was an '05 Impreza with a manual trans., which was my first choice at the time. When I decided to buy an '08 Legacy, after driving an '08 Impreza, I wanted a non-turbo with a manual. I was told there were only three in California at the time. Using an internet buying service, I was able to purchase one of the three. I am not sorry that I bought the manual, and in fact would probably not have purchased a Subaru if only an automatic was available. The only regret was that I could not have optioned a 6 speed manual with the non turbo. I think it would be a mistake for Subaru to eliminate manual transmissions, if in fact that is what they are considering.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Of course Nissan op for a DSG type in it's uber-car GT-R too.

A member over at the freshalloy.com got to drive the GT-R through a canyon road. His comment on the GT-R tranny:

The cars tranny is cool and its absolutetly genius on its up and downshifts.. but if you PUSH.. i mean PUSH the car through a windy canyon hard.. well your going to wish you had the control like you do in a manual.. no questions asked...

I'm starting to wonder if these production type dual clutch transmissions get balky when push very hard(like road course type driving).

Dual clutch transmissions aren't new technology but making one for a production car is another story.

Anyways, with new CAFE rules coming into effect this will probably be the last batch of hi po cars for a decade. Get them while you can....

Damn you, I just made a new post about this and I didn't even see this thread.

I got this, and every question that was hinting at the fact that if they didn't offer a m/t, my answer was I'd go elsewhere.

well your going to wish you had the control like you do in a manual.

I wonder what he means by "control". Obviously you can put the transmission in manual mode and have it stay in whatever gear you want, so that can't be what he means. Not sure how often slipping or kicking the clutch would be useful on a track either, unless you are drifting. :lol:

The one area where I think it would be annoying is if you need to skip a gear while down shifting. I'm not sure a DSG would allow you to directly down shift from 4th to 2nd. You probably would have to down shift to 3rd then 2nd.

Subbie's Mt drivetrain is much different than the AT drivetrain. Just because the trans can hold a gear doesn't mean the power is going where it will do you the most good or where you want it. I find the MT system very predictable or proactive, the AT I last drove, '02 GT, was not it was only reactive and late at that.

You should be able to get an AT "programmed" to be pretty close to the MT performance. But that is not for everyone. Maybe Si drive will alter trans programming in AT soon?

Peace,

Greg

The driver was using the semi-automatic mode.....

It seeems that the shift times on EVO X suffer from lateral and deaccelerative forces. Also, we have one case of anecdotal evidence that the GT-R exhibits the same type of behaviour.

Maybe a sign of someething systematically less then ideal with this first generation transmissions?

The GT-R tranny is made by Borg-Wagner. Who make the EVO SST transmision?

It seeems that the shift times on EVO X suffer from lateral and deaccelerative forces. Also, we have one case of anecdotal evidence that the GT-R exhibits the same type of behaviour.

I can believe that. The clutch engagement speed and clamping force is part of the TCU logic. Lateral and deceleration force would certainly change the amount of force needed. I know in the GT-R they have a lateral accelerometer but I don't know if it feeds into the TCU's logic. They will also need a longitudinal accelerometer too. Those accelerometers should feed into the TCU to determine the engagement force/speed.

The GT-R tranny is made by Borg-Wagner. Who make the EVO SST transmision?

No idea.

Disagree. It's still stupid auto, just fast shifting. It's not substitute for manual transmission with clutch.

And there it is. For me, I just like pushing my left foot in and pivoting my right foot with the gas as I row through the gears. I also enjoy making a game out of hills either, trying to roll back at all or to see how far I can roll back on purporse because the jackass in the Windstar behind me got up on my bumper. The cherry on top: my buddy thinks he is a racecar driver and I find it fun to taunt him about he cannot drive a stick for his life. So what if Im immature?

Wait, it's completely electric. 135 miles per gallon of what? :confused:

Thats the equavialent that you are paying to the power company and not the gas pump.

Question. Isn't the whole point of the 6MT to sell the Spec. B? If you put an auto in it, it would be a LGT with bigger wheels and a beefier suspension. Whats the point?

I for one never owned a manual before my car, but I like knowing that I am in full control of the car minus the ABS. It gives me a much better sense of connection between the car and the road and makes for a more satifying feeling of fully operating that beautiful piece of machinery.

Now for my case as to why automatics ruin driving for everyone:

What happens when you have an automatic transmission? You no longer have to focus on shifting, just steering, accelerating and braking. As a result, you no longer anticipate and predict the flow of traffic around and far ahead of you since you don't have to exert effort to shift. Now your brain is working half as hard on driving so the average driver now fills this brain capacity with talking on the phone, eating, reading, smoking, makeup, etc, all things that have nothing to do with the risk-filled task at hand. Suddenly your ability to identify, mitigate, and manage risks is severly hampered and you wreck your car into some other driver who is on the phone, smoking, putting on makeup and sucking down a double tall sugar free non fat vanilla latte.

Grr

Oh and you can't skip gears in a DSG. The S is for sequential. You can shift down really fast to where you would think you skipped a gear, but you can't go straight from say 4th to 2nd.

Oh and you can't skip gears in a DSG. The S is for sequential.

Actually no, S is for Shift. Direct Shift Gearbox or more literal translation of Direct Switching Gearbox from Direktschaltgetriebe. But you are right DSG is a sequential type gearbox.

i do a lot of that shit and i drive a manual. :eek:

Well I don't usually do all that sh!t but shifting is so second nature to me that I don't think about it. There is no need to think about what gear I need to be in, I just kindda know.

I hope they don't get rid of the manuals that would be a real shame :(

As others have said, I like driving a manual because I tend to concentrate more on driving the car rather than being on auto pilot. I also just enjoy shifting gears.

The GT-R is such a dream car. I made the mistake of reading reviews and watching videos last week. Atleast at only $70k it is more of a goal than a dream. From what I understand, put it into R mode and the tranny is super smooth and super responsive. And with shifts at only .2 seconds it changes gears faster than you can pull the lever, making multiple downshifts easily obtainable.

The AYC in the EVO X induces oversteer when you turn-in, the fastest way around the track in that car is by drifting, and the only way to control those drifts is with control of the clutch. If you want to drive that car hard, you have to go with the 5MT, and those DST problems have not been worked out as far as I know meaning if Mitsubishi didn't outright refuse every warranty claim they would be replacing alot of trannys in the first few months. Regardless the EVO X looks like a very promising car indeed, and the DST shouldn't cause to many problems with the crowd that will be buying them, the ones serious about performance and tracking will still elect for the 5MT.

Meanwhile, Subaru will have completely ditched the MT fans and put 4EATs in everything to save costs. What are they thinking putting a jerky 4spd auto in a WRX when even a Miata comes with a smooth 6spd auto (and manual).

as rudy said...they could very well be checking the future option of having a sequential.

then...would they drop the auto and stick in favor of? i believe vw dropped the auto and keeps the manual and the dsg.

i will only drive auto/sequential/dsg and i am no brand whore.

as i said before. IF the MS6 had an auto i would have that instead of the gt.

Archived