LegacyGT.com

Subaru adondoning manual transmissions?

Given US preference for AT's; for every potential specB buyer who would only consider a MT there may be 5 potential buyers who would only consider an AT. Not such a stupid idea from a sales perspective.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Given US preference for AT's; for every potential specB buyer who would only consider a MT there may be 5 potential buyers who would only consider an AT. Not such a stupid idea from a sales perspective.

IF i were gonna drop 35k i would have waited for the g35 306hp version.

I dont understand where this American prefernce for Autos came from. Big Impalas of the 50s? I dunno. But I don't like companies telling me that I (as an American) don't want to drive an Explorer with a MT or even a V6 Fusion with an MT or a Malibu.

Now Buick, thats a different story. I don't want those old peoples' commutes to become any more difficult. Keep the autos in there.

Better fuel economy than the automatic-equipped version

Cheaper than the automatic-equipped version

A manual provides more driving fun

A manual provides more control over the vehicle in emergency situations

A manual provides more control when driving in the mountains/hills

A manual is better for off-road/dirt road driving

A manual is better in inclement weather

A manual offers the best performance in terms of acceleration, handling and overall speed

YES.

Hydraulic automatics are an option for some, but why should that ever preclude a manually shifted transmission?

I still say that the DSG/SST/SMG, whatever the letters, should replace automatic option on sporty cars, like coupes, and sport sedans like the Legacy GT, with the manual still standard.

And it should be added to cars that really aren't suited to a manual, and currently only have automatic transmissions. Like the Hyundai Genesis sedan, or something that is probably going to be 'hydramatic' only, but has some sporty potential. Leave hydramatics only to the buick type cars luxo-cruisers and such.

But I didn't buy new, so I didn't get the survey. I didn't buy new because I couldn't find a new Legacy turbo with manual transmission in Red.

I think that says something to Subaru, too. Don't build what I want, and you won't get my sale, I'll buy used, or something else.

No Manual, no deal.

I believe that's the purpose of the Legacy 3.0R, which has Bilsteins but comes only w/ an AT. Alternatively, the LGT is available w/ the 5EAT.

Auto sells better when new

Auto sells better when used

The majority of car buyers in the USA prefer Auto

If Subaru ditched Manual it would a annoy a very vocal minority.

Will Subaru ditch manual? Probably not

Personally I stopped driving manual years ago. There wasnt any real reason to continue driving manual. Auto does what I need it to do.

Better fuel economy than the automatic-equipped version

Actually some autos get better mileage on some cars because of overdrives and lockup converters. It's all about final drive ratios.

Cheaper than the automatic-equipped version

Initially yes, but most people need a clutch replacement during the life of the car. Factor that cost in.

A manual provides more driving fun

Depends on the car. Small spirited engines yes, large torque monsters and trucks less so.

A manual provides more control over the vehicle in emergency situations

Ha Ha!! In emergency situations, most drivers panic! No time for anything! Plus the tendency to stall a manual may push that argument to the other side.

A manual provides more control when driving in the mountains/hills

Maybe. Autos are getting good with sport modes, gear holding and paddle shifters.

A manual is better for off-road/dirt road driving

Actually no! Most offroaders preffer autos for rock crawling, smoother action and ease. No clutch to burn out also.

A manual is better in inclement weather

I'll say no also. Smoother response on an auto will break traction less. Also the ability to start out in second with most autos is a good thing.

A manual offers the best performance in terms of acceleration, handling and overall speed

Only if the driver is good! (many are not) Autos will give VERY consistant launches and times when accelerating. One bad launch on a clutch and you won't catch the auto car.

Look, seems like a young crowd here and I drove sticks for years. Get a little older, sit in traffic one time too many with a clutch and you will enjoy the luxury of a fine automatic tranny.

sit in traffic one time too many with a clutch and you will enjoy the luxury of a fine automatic tranny.

This is what baffles me, I find MT easier to drive than AT in heavy traffic. This makes me wondering about your MT driving skills.

This is what baffles me, I find MT easier to drive than AT in heavy traffic. This makes me wondering about your MT driving skills.

MT is definitely not easier to drive in stop and go traffic. Clutch in, shift, clutch out, clutch in, gas, clutch out, brake, clutch in, shift, clutch out, brake, clutch in... That was me last night getting stuck in traffic working it's way around an 3 car accident on a one-lane road... And no the half clutch in coasting doesn't work because I was going slightly uphill. :mad:

part of the mystique of MT ownership is a sense of pride, ego, and 'im a slightly better class of driver than the masses' which is part of the reason i kept w MTs, but im over it now.

That's such bullshit, gimme a break. Ego? Slightly better that the masses? whatever, man. Maybe in your world. I hope you felt superior if that was your goal.

In my world I like manuals because they're tons of fun to drive and more engaging. DSG is a joke. I don't care if it's slightly faster than a stick or not, you're still just steering the car with one hand and jerking off with the other while the car does the work for you.

Subaru doing away with manuals would be the stupidest thing they could ever do, unless they decided they no longer care about driving enthusiasts whatsoever. Look at people trying to sell an automatic WRX or LGT. They practically have to give the car away and still beg for a sale. Personally if an auto was given to me for free, the first thing I'd do is try and get rid of it.

If the LGT's never had manuals, I'd never even be here, poking around waiting for one to buy...

MT is definitely not easier to drive in stop and go traffic. Clutch in, shift, clutch out, clutch in, gas, clutch out, brake, clutch in, shift, clutch out, brake, clutch in... That was me last night getting stuck in traffic working it's way around an 3 car accident on a one-lane road... And no the half clutch in coasting doesn't work because I was going slightly uphill. :mad:

Whaaaaaaaa :rolleyes:

Maybe Si drive will alter trans programming in AT soon?

As an owner of a 2008 3.0R (my third Scooby....all auto's) I can definately tell you, SI drive DOES alter how the AT behaves. Drop the unit into S# and the tranny will even downshift in many cases and will hold to redline without actually mashing the accelerator all the way to the floor...great for cornering, but in S#, why wouldn't you manually shift anyway?

Would I love a MT? Definately, but, with the paddles, SI drive and the instant gratification of the H6, I'm very happy. The 3.0R even "rev matches" the engine to the tranny for that smooth downshift feeling. Since it has no turbo, there is no lag to be accentuated by the slushbox (I test drove the GT with the 5EAT...not pretty, but still fun!). As close to a MT as possible with the benefits of "set it and forget it" when I need to drive a client, or, wife. ;)

Before you stand in judgement of me, I had driven standards for 20 years before getting a job that requires me to travel on average 45k miles per year. Removing some of the "fun" ergo, some of the potential for distraction has proved to be a lifesaver in several situations. Do I wish I could drive a MT? Yes. Is the 5EAT with SI and paddles better than my last two idiot sticks? WITHOUT QUESTION! When trying to drive something fun, it's important to remember your personal priorities; Try answering the cell phone, while you input an address into your GPS, with your coffee between your legs, in stop and go traffic, with your 5 year old screaming in the back seat and you'll realize why I made the sacrifice.

I will undoubtedly get responses that someone is able to do all of the above without so much as a thought. Bully for you. Don't forget to stop by the dry cleaners; They said your cape is ready.

Keep ripin' up the roads! :cool:

Skinny, blond chicks are over rated... :lol::lol::lol:

Yeah, I just divorced one! :lol:

Seriously though, I vastly prefer MT for the fun and control factor, and I use the engine to save wear on the brakes. But if I had to drive in stop and go every day (I don't!) an auto or dsg becomes much more attractive, but only with a torquey rig. I have not driven it, but the reviews on the dsg in the Audi A3 are pretty uniformly fantastic, so I would keep an open mind.

I'll keep my 5MT... I love the smell of burned clutch in the morning!

I've only driven one automatic (1980 Merc 240D) in my 25 years of driving. I liked it but much prefer my manual transmissions for being able to change my how soft or hard I want to change gears. With auto, the gear shifts will always be the same time duration. I also do not like driving an auto in the snow because I don't like fighting the auto transmission when braking.

cheers,

Mike

For me, it really comes down to this - performance over the auto.

Have any of you driven the AUTO LGT? Total POS. Dog-slow off the line, unenthusiastic everywhere else. I mean, read one of my 1st posts ever here, and you'll see my terrible review.

Then I drove the 5spd - WOW! I bought the car the next day. It's just that much better...in this car.

Now, I used to have a Grand Prix GTP - it was auto...but guess what? It was just as much fun as my LGT. Why? Insta-torque off the line (3.8L Supercharged, no lag), smart downshifts when I egged the gas a bit, and even skip-shifts (I.E. 3 -> 1). It was a fun fun car. I only sold it cause FWD suxxors.

If the LGT's auto was that good, I may be driving the 5EAT today...

Can anyone refute that?

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

Nope. Can't refute that! You site the main reason I upgraded to the 3.0R. The auto with the 6 doesn't have lag, but you will NEVER get an auto to jump off the line more than once (ergo, rev it in Neutral and drop it into gear) in an AWD car. The drivetrain would destroy itself.

Actually I think the torque converter will soak up a lot of the power if you rev it in neutral and drop into gear. You probably won't get a very good take off either. Usually you launch an automatic by doing power braking. Basically revving the engine in gear while holding down the brake. Either way, very bad for the drive train.

If the LGT's auto was that good, I may be driving the 5EAT today...

Can anyone refute that?

That's why Subaru has the 3.0R. No lag and stronger down low. Try that one. If they put the bigger six in that car it will probably wipe all the 4 banger turbos.

Archived