LegacyGT.com

Dude, why'd you pay extra for the Spec b?!

well, I got asked why the hell I paid C$12,000 more for my STi over the WRX and the answer was simple:

-$4000 brembo's -gotta admit, they're nice and if you're coming off an STi, you miss em!

-nice seats

-$4000 6 speed tranny (have to admit, you may not need the 6 speed, but it is cool isn't it?! ;)

-adjustable center dif

-66 extra, ummm, warranty-approved HP!

-bigger turbo, IC, sodium-filled valves etc etc

-IC water sprayer (not necess but nice to have)

-limited slip rear diff ($2000 installed?)

-forged BBS wheels, great tires ($1300ea rim at dealer), let's say $4000 wheel/tire package

-having something a bit different than all the WRX's out there

So, add it up, the STi is a friggin bargain!

Now the Spec b:

-$4000 6 speed tranny

-$2000 torsen limited slip rear diff

-$2000 DVD Nav

-$1000 for interior?

-$1000+ for a kick-ass stereo

-$1300 or more for Bilstein's

-$800 or more for alum suspension bits

-$1200 for better tires

-$0 for the heavy 18" wheels

Add up the bits you like and the Spec b isn't that bad a deal, is it? ;)

Now, all this extra crap comes with a price, and that's weight, the Spec B is heavy as compared with the standard GT.

Gonna take a lot of power to make up for the extra 170 pounds or so the Spec b's got.

Bottom line: Bang for the buck, you cannot beat the Legacy GT

If you like the toys, the Spec B is the way to go, and you don't see many on the road either...

Spec_b

Cobb Stage II @ 18.2psi, K&N Typhoon, Shifter Bushings, waiting to install Perrin TMIC, Hawk Street Pads

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your last line is key. If these things are important for you, then it is indeed a bargain. Another way to look at it is what's the **difference** in cost rather than what's the cost. For you, the spec B is a bargain. You want the things and to upgrade the LGT would not make sense. For me, the LGT has more stuff than I would want, if given the choice. On the Spec B, I'd take the torsen rear LSD and bilsteins. Nothing else is of value to me (to me).

jack

It's been a year since I bought mine, and I've heard lots of interesting comments about my car.

"A subaru spec b" What's that?" "Oh, yeah, those Subaru's are good value" in a condescending tone

"Wow, you could have bought a BMW for that much!"

etc etc

truth is, I looked at what else I can buy that will seat four adults or kids in the back etc and still move out well with AWD etc and you know, there's not much out there!

What other car goes as well as the LGT / Spec B, has a really good AWD system, and tons of upgrade potential THAT DOESN'T BREAK ALL THE TIME?!?!

I'm not aware of ANYTHING that comes close to it.

S4 - too small for me

RS4 niiiiiiiiice, but $93,000 in C$

BMW 335 - too small

535Xi - 4000 pounds(!) WTH? and $80,000?

What other car offers the legroom, AWD, bullet-proof drivetrain, and mod potentional?

I love my LEGACY! :lol:

Plus, if you add up all the component parts of a LGT using your math, it's a $100,000 car. Sweet--we all drive Ferraris!

Spec_b

Cobb Stage II @ 18.2psi, K&N Typhoon, Shifter Bushings, waiting to install Perrin TMIC, Hawk Street Pads

The only things of importance for me - on the 07-08 B Specs are (in order of importance):

1) VDC

2) Torsen

3) 6-speed

All the rest is stuff that I can out-spec the B if I tap into the aftermarket potential of the GT. I already out"navigate" and out"sound" the Spec for ...errr 2000 less (according to OP's listed prices) and out-spec the B in a couple other areas.

I agree with you completely

Your last line is key. If these things are important for you, then it is indeed a bargain. Another way to look at it is what's the **difference** in cost rather than what's the cost. For you, the spec B is a bargain. You want the things and to upgrade the LGT would not make sense. For me, the LGT has more stuff than I would want, if given the choice. On the Spec B, I'd take the torsen rear LSD and bilsteins. Nothing else is of value to me (to me).

jack

Spec_b

buddy, I don't know about the sound unless you go alpine/kenwood etc. I did a JL Audio system for my STI, cost at least $3000, prob more if I add up all the goodies ;)

it's true you could out-spec the spec going to the aftermarket...

The only things of importance for me - on the 07-08 B Specs are (in order of importance):

1) VDC

2) Torsen

3) 6-speed

All the rest is stuff that I can out-spec the B if I tap into the aftermarket potential of the GT. I already out"navigate" and out"sound" the Spec for ...errr 2000 less (according to OP's listed prices) and out-spec the B in a couple other areas.

Spec_b

I traded my STi in on the Spec b, now I have an inferiority complex due to the lack of HP. Stage II should cure that... ;)

Why does everyone that owns a LGT get their back up over spec owners braggin about their car?

Personally I enjoy ppl talking about something that might have a small edge over my whatever.

Yet others really seem to take it personally, I don't get it. If I had a standard vette and someone went on about their Z06, it'd be cool. Yeah, those carbon fenders are better, and yeah your car is lighter and more powerful and more exclusive than my run of the mill chevy. I'd like to hear the differences and would feel zero resentment if his car cost more that mine. They're all cars, and they're all cool in their own way, IMO.

Did you buy a STi or a Spec B :confused: I am guessing a STI, because of the larger turbo, 66 more HP. Everybody knows that the Spec B has like 1,000 more hp than a regular Legacy GT :lol:

They are like Ferraris only better :lol:

Spec_b

I know, I agree, I hate the 2.5 but a lot of ppl like it for some reason... :eek:

It is because a lot of Spec B folks insist on difference that aren't there ;)

And all cars are not cool in there own way, consider the 2.5i :lol:

Spec_b

thanks man. I guess it's part of net-based communications. We'd be a lot nicer to each other if we were at a car show with all our hoods up. I did it once with my stock STi and it was amazing! A lot of great comments, esp from the american muscle crowd...:)

Spec-B: I agree with you 100%. People ought to relax and chill a bit more. There is alot of my car is better than your car going around.

Spec_b

I meant to say the 2.5RS, the non-turbo model. Doesn't it have a fake hood scoop as well?

I know, I agree, I hate the 2.5 but a lot of ppl like it for some reason... :eek:

Spec_b

I have a GT Limited, but hell, I'd have taken the "unlimited" cheaper version over it, if given a choice. Toys=overrated for an automobile.

Give me a punchy engine, a nice manual, heat and A/C and good visability, and it's all I need.

Heated seats? Whatever. Power seats? Whatever. Nav? Whatever. Sunroof? Whatever. Leather? Whatever. CD Player? (yah, I said that!) Whatever. Don't even give me cruise control...Don't give me any of that shit...and make my LGT with all the "bones" that matter for 20K MSRP.

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

I know, but I just couldn't go from a 6 speed STi to a 5 speed legacy. Doesn't it seem like a step back? I traded in my STi just over a year ago and miss the raw feel of that car, so I know what you mean. All that crap doesn't take the place of the STI's screaming accel and feel that I just couldn't bottom out the car (look at the STI's pistons - the spec b's aren't that big are they?) no matter how fast and how big the speed bump was! :lol:

I have a GT Limited, but hell, I'd have taken the "unlimited" cheaper version over it, if given a choice. Toys=overrated for an automobile.

Give me a punchy engine, a nice manual, heat and A/C and good visability, and it's all I need.

Heated seats? Whatever. Power seats? Whatever. Nav? Whatever. Sunroof? Whatever. Leather? Whatever. CD Player? (yah, I said that!) Whatever. Don't even give me cruise control...Don't give me any of that shit...and make my LGT with all the "bones" that matter for 20K MSRP.

Spec_b

Ive grown out of that attitude as cars and absolute performance dont matter to me much anymore. Now that I have different priorities and interests in life, I want a car that has features and luxuries, but with performance potential underneath. If i wanted a pure performance car at the expenses of comfort, a Legacy isnt the smartest platform to go, i'd get something like a Lotus Elise anyday.

Ive grown out of that attitude as cars and absolute performance dont matter to me much anymore. Now that I have different priorities and interests in life, I want a car that has features and luxuries, but with performance potential underneath. If i wanted a pure performance car at the expenses of comfort, a Legacy isnt the smartest platform to go, i'd get something like a Lotus Elise anyday.
:whore: I dont care about the powah in the Spec, I'm building a car for that aspect

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Now the Spec b:

-$1000+ for a kick-ass stereo

Just a quick note - the stereo in the Spec b is no different than the LGT except for the steering wheel controls (however, I think all '08 LGT's get the steering wheel controls too).

Guest heightsgtltd
I traded my STi in on the Spec b, now I have an inferiority complex due to the lack of HP. Stage II should cure that... ;)

Why does everyone that owns a LGT get their back up over spec owners braggin about their car?

Personally I enjoy ppl talking about something that might have a small edge over my whatever.

Yet others really seem to take it personally, I don't get it. If I had a standard vette and someone went on about their Z06, it'd be cool. Yeah, those carbon fenders are better, and yeah your car is lighter and more powerful and more exclusive than my run of the mill chevy. I'd like to hear the differences and would feel zero resentment if his car cost more that mine. They're all cars, and they're all cool in their own way, IMO.

:lol:

Don't even try to suggest that the Spec B is to an LGT, what a Z06 is to an Vette :lol: :lol:

Guest heightsgtltd
Just a quick note - the stereo in the Spec b is no different than the LGT except for the steering wheel controls (however, I think all '08 LGT's get the steering wheel controls too).

No no, it had the special SpecB pixie dust sprinkled on it at the factory :spin:

Archived