LegacyGT.com

Legacy S Concept @ Tokyo Auto Salon

chenc544

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I kiind of disagree with you on this. Being the fact this is about the end of this body LGT its very possible they would make a LSTi. My reasoning is that they could easily push out a few hundred extra cars by making it. A lot of manufacturers have been know to come out with special editions at the end of body style life. Dodge came out with the SRT4 Neon until the Neion was discontinued. Audi makes special edtions all the time at the end of a body. Hell Subaru sold 800 extra STis when they made the STi Limited in 07. I just don't think they'll make it cause they never bring the real "good" subarus to the north american market.

Well, what is being talked about in this thread is a new drivetrain. Which would requires getting recertified for emissions and fuel consumption. Also, if they put a new drivetrain in the BL/BP it would be required to be crash tested again. That's a lot of expense for a limited run for just one year.

They could possible do this if there is alot of carry over to the new gen Legacy. However, that has been rumoured to be based off the Tribeca platform.

Personally, I think a bigger Legacy is a mistake and Subaru should just create a new bigger sedan model.

An unmodded Legact GT is faster in most aceleration tests then then any year G35/37. Unfortunately, as the G has picked up power it's gain a significant bit of weight which kills performance.

Nissan has said they are looking at minimum reductions of 15% weight across all their next generation models..

+1 My friend and I went to dyno, he has a stock 07' G35x w/ the 306hp VQ. dynoed only ~230whp and 201wtq. My stock 08' LGT dynoed in at 220whp and 251wtq. and his car weights about 300-400lbs heavier than the legacy too.

I dont think the g35x will be faster than the legacy. Looks nice though.

Well, what is being talked about in this thread is a new drivetrain. Which would requires getting recertified for emissions and fuel consumption. Also, if they put a new drivetrain in the BL/BP it would be required to be crash tested again. That's a lot of expense for a limited run for just one year.

They could possible do this if there is alot of carry over to the new gen Legacy. However, that has been rumoured to be based off the Tribeca platform.

Personally, I think a bigger Legacy is a mistake and Subaru should just create a new bigger sedan model.

Very true, but the powertrain could always be a carry over to the next platform Legacy. They may be willing to test a few expecially if they already have the parts on the shelves for other markets. Again I doubt the US will see it either.

Very true, but the powertrain could always be a carry over to the next platform Legacy. They may be willing to test a few expecially if they already have the parts on the shelves for other markets. Again I doubt the US will see it either.

I would even be happy with the STi turbo on the legacy - I am sure with some minor tweaks they could get it just north of 300 hp while still maintaining a somewhat smooth power delivery (without requiring new emissions testing). With that engine and the 'tuned by sti' suspension, drivetrain, break, and cosmetic upgrades, we would have one sweet car. In terms of performance, it would be a poor man's 335i.

I would even be happy with the STi turbo on the legacy - I am sure with some minor tweaks they could get it just north of 300 hp while still maintaining a somewhat smooth power delivery (without requiring new emissions testing). With that engine and the 'tuned by sti' suspension, drivetrain, break, and cosmetic upgrades, we would have one sweet car. In terms of performance, it would be a poor man's 335i.

Camber was correct when he said that you would have to get the car recertified. You would really be surprised that the smallest of changes require the car to get recertified for. Even if they use parts from another car in their own line up (such as borrowing the the turbo, intake, etc from the Wrx STi) they would need to get the car emission and mileage recertified. Their best bet would be to use parts from the existing LSTi that is in other markets and work till it would meet US standards.

^^^ I can a test to that. When I tried get info from SOA on my STi 6MT swap. That was thier line. It don't matter if the part was on the shelf & test in another car. If wasn't test in that car's model yr. It must be recertified. For ex. 6MT is in 07 Spec.B, because it wasn't tested in the 05 GT [same body] they could not recommend the swap or help me in any way.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

What's interesting is that they widened the front fenders...but not the rears. I'm assuming because it's a lot more complicated to make a new piece for that section, while the front fenders are a simple adjustment to the mold/easy to one-off.

One of the Subaru guys told me that was exactly why -- it would be too costly to do the rear widebody.

--Dan

Mach V

FastWRX.com

Subaru has the same mindset that Cadillac used to have: Take care of your existing best customers first. Those people buy N/A 2.5 Outbacks and Foresters. We are a very small part of the Subaru market in the US. Subaru's "Halo Car" is the 3.0 Outback LL Bean edition. Subaru used to be afraid to bring the WRX to the US because rallying isn't popular here and they thought we wouldn't get it. Now they're afraid to bring a LSTI here because it would take marketshare from the WRX STI. SOA also thinks of themselves as competitors with Camry and Accord when the LGT and SpecB are more in line with TSX, A4 etc. Check out the few ads they did run for the Leggy, emphasizing AWD not near luxury class high performance. I bought my LGT because it was obviously faster than the G35, TL, IS300, S40T-5 etc I test drove at the same time. And no one at the Subaru dealership wondered why I wanted a MT or tried to tell me I couldn't get one unless I took whatever color, wheels etc they could get. I recognise that for Subaru I am a minority buyer. That's why they spend their money on stuff for the Outbacks and Foresters not the LGT. Do I want a better sound system? You bet!! And many other things that G35, 328, A4 etc owners take for granted, but I won't hold my breath waiting for them because I am not SOA's main market. Would I buy a LSTI? If I could afford it, but the LGT dinged my budget pretty hard, so it couldn't be too much more expensive. Oh well! I can wish and hope, that's free.
You're just jealous that the Voices talk to Me. :cool:

The fender vents aren't such a bad idea. One of the shops i had my car worked on notes there are internal engine bay vents that go out to the front fenders. Having functional external vents might actually help get rid of underhood heat.

• 4 weeks later...

according to the link posted which appeared on the front page of the site, there are two things at the moment which i find most noticeable is that the Legacy S concept has 6 Pot Brakes in front and 2 in the back. but wouldn't that mean the brake bias would be seriously more to the front?

i know that one person in HK has actually went ahead to try 6 pot in front and 4 pot in the back which is already SERIOUS stopping power but with a difference in 6 and 2 pots...i'm really wondering how is the stopping power gonna be like for the S concept.

and after taking a minute to use the Excite website to translate the text....

It is ultimate Regashi in the development concept that can experience the start of the supremacy that STI presents as for "Ultimate grand touring car". A special engine of 2.5L turbo is installed, and the power-up in a flat torque and the high rotation region from the low rotation is achieved at the same time.

1. Reception desk lip spoiler(carbon)

2. Front grille

3. Widening reception desk fender

4. Money belonging Totonotosou Doamirar

5. Riyaspoirar

6. Genuine leather seat

7. Panel trims

8. Black interior trim

9. Shift knob

10. Saidoshilprat

11. Carpet mat

12. Reinforced transmission

13. Painting engine cover

14. Sports muffler

15. F opposing 6pot Brembobraki

16. R opposing 2pot Brembobraki

17. F2 piece disk rotor (Φ340)

18. R disk rotor (Φ316)

19. Bilshutainsaspention

20. Coil spring

21. F flexible tower bar

22. BBS aluminum foil (18×8.0J)

23. Bridgestone Tire Co., Ltd.(235/40R18)

so...in proper english terms - only rewriting the list

1. front lip spoiler(carbon)

2. Front grille

3. Widened fender

4. Money belonging Totonotosou Doamirar (no clue what it is)

5. Riyaspoirar (no clue again)

6. Genuine leather seat

7. Panel trims

8. Black interior trim

9. Shift knob

10. Saidoshilprat (no clue again x2)

11. Carpet mat

13. Painted engine cover

14. Sports muffler

15. Front 6pot brembo brakes

16. Rear 2pot Brembo brakes

18. R disk rotor (Φ316)

19. Bilshutainsaspention

20. Coil spring

21. F flexible tower bar

22. BBS aluminum foil (18×8.0J) [that means the rims like 99% sure i think)

23. Bridgestone Tire Co., Ltd.(235/40R18)

The Legacy S is planned as a 2.5L Turbo; but no "2008" model released in Japan yet, and the specification *will* change from the Auto Salon model

GW

Features of the AUTO SALON model ( which may, or may not, correspond to what Subaru actually produce for an S or STi '08 )

1. front lip spoiler(carbon)

2. Front grille

3. Widened fenders

4. Retractible door mirrors

5. Rear Spoiler

6. Genuine leather seats

7. Panel trims

8. Black interior trim

9. Shift knob

10. Sidesill pair

11. Carpet mats

13. Painted engine cover

14. Sports muffler

15. Front 6pot brembo brakes

16. Rear 2pot Brembo brakes

18. R disk rotor (Φ316)

19. Bilstein suspension

20. Uprated Coil springs

21. F flexible tower bar

22. BBS aluminum Wheels (18×8.0J)

23. Bridgestone Tires Co.(235/40R18)

GW

I've got to be honest, unless I see a bump in power (from a new turbo), it's really not worth it for me. I'm stage two with brembo's and bilsteins already. Plus that would mean that it would just be more expensive stuff I was pulling off the car to mod it. The only advantage I could see would be the 6speed tranny.

6 pot fronts do not necessarily mean more clamping force. (each piston is smaller, depends if the combined area is smaller then a 4-pot, and it also depends on a whole bunch of other stuff)

Either way the Master Cylinder will be engineered to apportion the pressure correctly.

Archived