LegacyGT.com

Legacy S Concept @ Tokyo Auto Salon

chenc544

HELLO ALL!!

I'm new to the Subaru world. I just bought my first one tonight. I bought a 2006 Legacy GT 5-spd with 22,000 miles. The previous owner said he upgraded the turbo and innercooler to a 2007. The car seems to run ok, but it has a terrible exhaust/oil smell that fills the inside when driving the car. Any ideas out there? Maybe his mods were wrong and something is leaking? Please advise! Thanks!

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
what exactly did this previous owner do. As far as i know the turbo charger on the 2006 is the same as the 2007 the same with the intercooler. maybe you mean it has an upgraded aftermarket turbo or an upgraded top mount intercooler or upgraded aftermarket front mount intercooler. That smell of oil is most likely un burnt fuel.

13.6 @ 102 untuned FTW

SmartWax - Spec Clutch - Team Scp 1

http://newenglandsubarus.com/

IIRC, they were indeed functional, they just didn't feed directly into an intercooler or intake. Non-functional means either fake, or real scoop with no airflow. If the GC Imprezas were like my '98 LGT, the scoop is real, and directs airflow into the engine bay. Yes, it's restricted, but it sure isn't non-functional.

Yes, non functional on the US but that was the WRX/STi in the rest of the world so it sure as well was functional.

what exactly did this previous owner do. As far as i know the turbo charger on the 2006 is the same as the 2007 the same with the intercooler. maybe you mean it has an upgraded aftermarket turbo or an upgraded top mount intercooler or upgraded aftermarket front mount intercooler. That smell of oil is most likely un burnt fuel.

He just said the 2007 turbo was better for some reason. I think he raced it up a bit and I smell coolant too after driving it. The cabin fills with an exhaust/warm oil smell, then when I turn off the car.. the engine smells like coolant. No leaks, but something is wrong I feel. But I'm not sure what. I plan to drop it off to the Subaru dealer tomorrow.

Archived