LegacyGT.com

Does Anyone Have A 5 Speed Without A Stinky Clutch?

Guest turboman

took car to the dealer today for the stinky clutch and i had them check the rear main seal and the cdv and there was no problem with them.i have noticed now that i have 4k miles on it the smell is starting to go away,so it may just take time to "wear the clutch in".only time will tell.this was my 3rd visit to the dealer for this problem.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest turboman

If Subaru refuses to admit there is a problem and we can't get anywhere I'm beginning to think our best approach might be to just purchase a new clutch master cylinder ourselves. It's not that complicated a part. Shouldn't cost much over $100.

You could install it yourself or have a dealer do it. Shouldn't take over .75 hr to R&R. Cost about $50.

When they come out with a recall we could submit our receipt to Subaru for rebate. I don't think they'd deny it if there had been a recall of cars built before Nov. '04.

However if it is a defective clutch disc (hard to believe Subaru would be that dumb) it's more complicated and not practical for us to have done. ($700).

What is strange is no other car stinks like that even when you deliberately slip the clutch.

From talking with another member, it seems the operating cylinder is the piece of hardware that is an issue. I would suggest some patience with SOA, as you would void any warranty on the drivetrain if you went the route suggested above. I will go that route myself once all avenues are exhausted though.

Well the build date on my car is 09/04, I hadn't had any stink issues until last week .. that was when I slipped the clutch a bit too much in first gear trying to get around traffic ... its horrible . the smell :) The second occurance was backing up into my driveway, these cars sure don't like reverse! I forgot to add that I have about 5500 miles on the car now.

Guest turboman

Went to the dealer today. I took along 12 pages of these complaints printed from this thread. I told them to give the papers to the Zone rep. Later, as I walked past the service desk several writers were reading the sheets with interest.

The Service Manager took me aside and we sat down and talked. He had gotten a copy of my letters to the SOA Corp. offices. He discussed the clutch issues. He said until SOA came up with an authorized fix there wasn't anything he could do.

I asked him can I pay for the parts and labor myself and would it still be warranteed? He said that would be fine. I would do this if I was sure the CDV was the problem. Will keep this forum posted.

I went to Parts to get some stuff on the CDV.

- Clutch Master Cylinder (CDV) ...37230AE040 price $119.95

- Damper (screws into bottom of CDV) 37261FC000 $48.07

Parts guy said if I you bought the whole Master Cylinder it also includes the Damper. But I don't think so. Dealer labor cost $105.00 from the flat rate book (I think that was for the master Cylinder).

If there are any adventurous souls reading this you might want to just buy a DAMPER, and change it to see if that is the problem. Hundreds of us would be eternally grateful. Maybe I'll do it.

I still have some doubts. I've intentionally slipped the clutch on a LOT of cars in a fast launch, and I've never spelled that kind of a stink. Today, starting up on a steep hill at a stop light the engine shot to 5000rpm instantly before the clutch grabbed. What a stink. Smelled just like millions of dead alewives on the beaches of Lake Michigan last summer. The clutch disc may also be part of the problem. Damn.

To reiterate, the operating cylinder has the suspect item, not the MC. The clutch damper on the MC is not the issue, but a similar item on the operating cylinder is AFAIK

Guest turboman
To reiterate, the operating cylinder has the suspect item, not the MC. The clutch damper on the MC is not the issue, but a similar item on the operating cylinder is AFAIK

Howdy old buddy. Please clarify. Clutch circuit has a master cylinder and a slave cylinder.

Which is operating cylinder. Me stupid. Thanks.

slave cylinder is what you want. Subaru calls it the 'operating cylinder'. When I back home I can send you the right doc....like the one I did already, but with the right part. Might have it stored on my email....

Guest turboman

I deleted relevant names and addresses for obvious reasons. The rest is unalterted..

Gerilyn Carr

Team leader

Customer/Dealer Services

Subaru Plaza

P.O. Box 6000

Cherry Hill, NJ 08034-6000

Dear Gerilyn:

This is the 2nd letter I have sent to Corporate. My dealer, XXXXX SUBARU, in XXXXXX, was contacted by your people. I appreciate that. But nothing was corrected. Not XXXXX fault, they were most understanding. But their hands are tied by your office and the Company’s resistance to admit there is a big problem.

We took delivery of out 2005 Legacy GT Limited 5-speed wagon in Dec. ‘04. I was built in 06-04. Now it has 3000 miles on it. It is such a beautiful car. The interior was the nicest I’ve ever had in the 35 new cars we’ve bought in the last 40 years. This is our 4th Subaru. My wife hasn’t driven it yet, for the reasons below. After yesterday, she’s scared to death to drive it .

Yesterday my wife, XXXXX, was along when I attempted to leave a stop light on a hill and the engine shot up to 5000 rpm and the clutch stink was the worst smell we‘ve ever encountered. Like dead rotting fish. It permeated the interior for 20 minutes. The smell is still in our noses and memory.

The engine revs instantly because of the turbo and the throttle pedal is so sensitive. The clutch is two seconds behind everything else. Your engineers understand why. The restrictive ferrule in the clutch Operating Cylinder.

XXXXX refuses now to even attempt to drive the GT. She cries when I try to get her to try it. I taught her to drive a stick 35 years ago and that's all she's ever driven. She has a 5 speed PT Cruiser with B&M shifter and drives like a pro. She drove my '02 WRX 5 speed with absolutely no problems.

I'm just feed up and pissed off and I’m sick of trying to convince people. As soon as I can economically get out of this car I will never again go to Subaru.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX cc: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

XXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXX.

XXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXX

XXXXXXX

XXXXXXX

I'll send another to this person as well. Do you already have a case number?

Sorry to tell you but there is a typo ::

"I'm just feed up and pissed off and I’m sick of trying to convince people. As soon as I can economically get out of this car I will never again go to Subaru."

Guest turboman
I'll send another to this person as well. Do you already have a case number?

Sorry to tell you but there is a typo ::

"I'm just feed up and pissed off and I’m sick of trying to convince people. As soon as I can economically get out of this car I will never again go to Subaru."

Think I had a case number about 3 months ago when I wrote the 3 top execs, but can't find it. Copy of the letter got to my dealer through the Zone rep. Dealer was most gracious yesterday.

Typo: Poetic license. Demonstrates uncontrolled fury. lol Too bad my wife didn't see it. She's a retired English/Reading teacher. She always catches that kind of stuff.

Hi;

Can you forward this to the service manager (MIKE) please? Tx

-------------------------------------------------------------

Mike,

Thank you for scheduling me for next week (Monday 3/14). This *clutch stink* issue is really annoying so hopefully you will be able to pin point the issue. BTW- As it turns out I will need some temporary transportation as my girlfriend will be away next week.

Now I am not the Subaru expert but just so I have it written down, the following is the problem and what I believe could be the possible issue(s). I have also included the website that lists the other owners having the same issues.

** Issue: Case # 714936 -- 2005 Legacy GT Limited

The car emits a foul odor (rotten eggs) in the cabin when the clutch is slipped on inclines, or in reverse on inclines, or it slips in the snow on a start. The odor is smelled faster with the cabin heater/fan on. I am not dumping the clutch and it is not driver's error. I have driven a manual for as long as I have been driving. I have been to Cityside once already for a preliminary diagnosis.

** Possible Problems:

- From what I have read from other 05 Legacy GT owners, the issue seems to be on cars manufactured before 10/2004, mine was built in 8/04.

- I have read it could be the clutch disc, slave *aka* operating cylinder, Clutch Delay Valve or damper.

- It is NOT the exhaust or cat converter.

- Car has 5300 miles, the clutch isn't new anymore

- If SOA will not support a fix by the shop I would be willing to pay for the replacement parts myself in the hopes that I can be reimbursed when the actual recall happens.

I really appreciate your attention to this Mike and hopefully it can be resolved. I love this car and this is the only blemish, my friends refuse to ride with me b/c of the smell and the fact it lingers so long after the occurrence.

Links:

Different Cases and Descriptions :

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6052

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5377

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6928

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8345

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8541

Thank you,

I deleted relevant names and addresses for obvious reasons. The rest is unalterted..

Gerilyn Carr

Team leader

Customer/Dealer Services

Subaru Plaza

P.O. Box 6000

Cherry Hill, NJ 08034-6000

Dear Gerilyn:

This is the 2nd letter I have sent to Corporate. My dealer, XXXXX SUBARU, in XXXXXX, was contacted by your people. I appreciate that. But nothing was corrected. Not XXXXX fault, they were most understanding. But their hands are tied by your office and the Company’s resistance to admit there is a big problem.

We took delivery of out 2005 Legacy GT Limited 5-speed wagon in Dec. ‘04. I was built in 06-04. Now it has 3000 miles on it. It is such a beautiful car. The interior was the nicest I’ve ever had in the 35 new cars we’ve bought in the last 40 years. This is our 4th Subaru. My wife hasn’t driven it yet, for the reasons below. After yesterday, she’s scared to death to drive it .

Yesterday my wife, XXXXX, was along when I attempted to leave a stop light on a hill and the engine shot up to 5000 rpm and the clutch stink was the worst smell we‘ve ever encountered. Like dead rotting fish. It permeated the interior for 20 minutes. The smell is still in our noses and memory.

The engine revs instantly because of the turbo and the throttle pedal is so sensitive. The clutch is two seconds behind everything else. Your engineers understand why. The restrictive ferrule in the clutch Operating Cylinder.

XXXXX refuses now to even attempt to drive the GT. She cries when I try to get her to try it. I taught her to drive a stick 35 years ago and that's all she's ever driven. She has a 5 speed PT Cruiser with B&M shifter and drives like a pro. She drove my '02 WRX 5 speed with absolutely no problems.

I'm just feed up and pissed off and I’m sick of trying to convince people. As soon as I can economically get out of this car I will never again go to Subaru.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX cc: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

XXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXX.

XXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXX

XXXXXXX

XXXXXXX

Instead of writing letters why not call SOA and voice your concern?

You also may want to revise your grammar / punctuation as well.

Guest turboman
Instead of writing letters why not call SOA and voice your concern?

You also may want to revise your grammar / punctuation as well.

Calling has nowhere near the effectiveness of something on paper they can put their hands on, show to their boss, and add it to the file.

A phone call gets a check mark on a tally sheet.

Awfully pompous about my poetic license when you are reluctant to even take pen in hand. The last sentence was intentional.

Calling has nowhere near the effectiveness of something on paper they can put their hands on, show to their boss, and add it to the file.

A phone call gets a check mark on a tally sheet.

Awfully pompous about my poetic license when you are reluctant to even take pen in hand. The last sentence was intentional.

Pompous? Please :lol:

You can step off your high horse now. What I was pointing out was if you expect to be taken seriously then you might want to revise the letter so it has proper grammar / spelling / punctuation. Why should I take pen in hand when I have no problem with SOA?

You can stick to your antiquated ways, but I like to solve my problems.

I had a fuel pump issue with my 2004 mazda 3 and had the problem promptly resolved within 2 phone calls to Mazda Corporate.

Whatever floats your boat. :cool:

Poetic License :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: etc

Guest turboman

Been reviewing NAOIC and some other Subaru sites and noticed the following.

There are a number of "how too's" on removing the ferrule in the clutch line to make it shift faster on '05 WRX ans STi's. But, nobody mentioned clutch stink. Only that is gives a more responsive pedal if the modification is done. Even the directions, with photos is there. Includes remove starter, intercooler, etc. Sounds like a big job.

All of us have slipped the clutch on other cars in a fast start. Nobody has ever complained about the kind of putrid stink we get on GT's. It has to be also the clutch disc that is creating the stink. Does anyone know if Subaru went to a carbon, or some other material, clutch on the late build '05's GT's.

Any Subaru Techs out there that could find out?

My build was 09/04, delivery date 02/26....current mileage at 500.

I've driven MT's for over 40 years and this is the hardest one to engage smoothly

that I have ever done. I'm getting much better at it tho....part of it to me is the throttle control.

I have mostly been carefull since I got the stink a few times, but starting on

a steep hill the other day, the stink lasted for over a mile...really obnoxious smell...smells more like skunk to me.

I'm not really worried about it yet, but if it persists for very long past breakin, the dealer will definitely hear about it....we have a lot of steep hill here in NW Arkansas.

Drive softly and carry big torque!

The thing that concerns me the most about my clutch problems is that I have yet to become comfortable with it.

I have driven MTs in the past, and the one in my GT is the strangest one I have ever had. Sometimes it is smooth as silk with no slipping and great power. But then my next start is jerk-jerk-jerk. Then I seem to overcompensate when trying to start smoothly, then I slip it and get the stink. I told my wife that I wanted my new car to have some personality...this car has more personality than I can handle soemtimes. :p

I swear it seems to change dynamics every time I engage the clutch. I just can't seem to pinpoint the right combination to get consistant smooth starts. This is a very unforgiving clutch, which is really a shame on an otherwise awesome car.

The Delay valve, the dual-mass flywheel, and the electronic throttle control make for a very unusual (and unusually difficult) MT experience.

I must be in the severe minority here, but while my clutch doesn't smell like roses when excessively slipped, no clutch does. I've only gotten a faint whiff now and again when starting up on steep hills or pulling up my driveway slowly (lowered on coilovers). While the smell is worse than my other MT car, I do not find it objectionable.

I also find it odd that so many people complain about the car being difficult to drive smoothly. I have no issues on that front whatsoever. Whether puttering along, or driving aggressively. To boot, my fiance, who is a relatively inexperienced MT driver, has never lodged any complaints about the clutch or the car being difficult to drive and she takes it to work about twice a week. FYI, my car is an early build, 06/04.

UPDATE: Just brought it into the Dealer *again*. Just before I parked I put a good dose of clutch stink in the cabin.

I go in talk to the service mgr, he said he saw these threads and said it seemed like the problem was going away for most people here and that he wasnt sure what to do. Said he was working with SOA on it and they didnt know what to do. I just said well, I dunno what to do... but here are some places to start looking.

I love this little game of shirking there is a problem. I even said that if it's not covered under warranty yet I'll pay for it.

We'll see what happens today but Im expecting them to just kick the tires and say problem solved. Muck in the tread.

../sully

UPDATE: Just brought it into the Dealer *again*. Just before I parked I put a good dose of clutch stink in the cabin.

I go in talk to the service mgr, he said he saw these threads and said it seemed like the problem was going away for most people here and that he wasnt sure what to do. Said he was working with SOA on it and they didnt know what to do. I just said well, I dunno what to do... but here are some places to start looking.

I love this little game of shirking there is a problem. I even said that if it's not covered under warranty yet I'll pay for it.

We'll see what happens today but Im expecting them to just kick the tires and say problem solved. Muck in the tread.

../sully

Aiight,

The dealer calls me, said SOA said it's the gasoline. I don't really buy this idea. I have been using Sunoco 93 and he said its the winter blend under load of the car that emits that stink. Said go with a different provider like 91 from Mobil or Shell....

I'll give it a try but then said Ill be back in a few weeks when this doesn't work.

Archived