LegacyGT.com

Does Anyone Have A 5 Speed Without A Stinky Clutch?

Guest turboman

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've only had the clutch stink once or twice, and both were my fault for slightly riding it up a hill. A co-worker on the other hand has repeatedly complained of it. Drove his car a few miles and I couldn't reproduce it.

close to 9k miles... on bumbper to bumper in traffic on the way to work at BWI i get it still. It just doesn't seem to like to clutch pull the car from stop... though applying gas makes it worse. Have to have my "safety" inspection this weekend.... will have them look at that

I'm not buying the operator error crap. We haven't owned an automatic at my house since 1990. Our Maxima has 88k, and my M3 has 52k miles on it. One has 190hp, the other 333hp, and more torque than our new Outback XT, so its not like I've been driving wimpy sticks, Either. It has 2500k on it, and when we get stuck in stop and go, or have to go from a dead stop uphill into my garage, it stinks. Same garage and same hill I've been parking in for 10 years with the Maxima and 3 different BMW's.

We're going in for service this week and will see what Arlington Subaru in Texas has to say. I hope they don't blame me. Thats what Audi did to its owners with its unintended accelleration problem and it took 15 years to recover.

I'll admit that the clutch engagement in the XT is much different than our other cars, and maybe having almost all the torque availble at 3000 rpm may make the XT harder on the clutch, but I think this smell is rediculous.

I've driven manual trans cars for 30 years (so I think I've learned to drive an MT car by now...) and have never had a problem like the stink on 5MT LGT. Has anyone approached their dealer about this? I thought it was an initial break in issue but 3 months and 4K miles later it's a stinky as ever. Most unpleasent...

I have a 5 speed and have not had any clutch stink however I can believe some people do and I feel for you. Hope this helps. I actually believe that this is really happening to you and believe it or not Im not blaming the owner.

We have four cars in our household, all manual, with 30 years driving stick. The '05 LGT is the only stinky one in street driving conditions. Even my two open-track cars with lightweight flywheels and hair-trigger clutch take-up are scent free.

JC, Chicagoland bassist & opentracker

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd wagon

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd sedan

I have 2300 miles on my GT Limited 5sp and still have the smell occasionaly. I brought the car to the dealer to get the subwoofer installed and asked the service manager if he's heard about this problem. And guess what? He never heard about it!!!

Surprise, surprise.

• 3 weeks later...
Mine only stinks if I rev too high with a slow clutch release. I was almost 5 years inbetween manual transmissions so I got that stink every once in a while.

It's mean that is defenitly Clutch problem not a drivers technic.

I'd driven a lot of cars in Europe and will tell You one thing ...

- I never did a drag racing, dumping clutch yes in old , new cars and never I said never had that kind of situation with stinky clutch like I do right now time-to-time on my new Legacy GT:mad:

I have almost 1400 miles and haven't noticed it yet. I did notice though that the clutch starts to grab more towards the middle now rather than almost all the way at the top when I first got the car.

Magowin You are lucky :D ... the guys in Indiana were out Clutch Delay Valve when they put together Your..

...........:lol: I wish my would be without it:lol:

I've driven manual trans cars for 30 years (so I think I've learned to drive an MT car by now...) and have never had a problem like the stink on 5MT LGT. Has anyone approached their dealer about this? I thought it was an initial break in issue but 3 months and 4K miles later it's a stinky as ever. Most unpleasent...

Close to SKUNK....just not last that long;)

Archived