LegacyGT.com

Does Anyone Have A 5 Speed Without A Stinky Clutch?

Guest turboman

My clutch stopped stinking last summer at 8500 miles. When the weather got colder it started again, just as bad as it always was. I've written (letter, certified delivery) the VP of SOA and Customer Service Supervisors at corporate. At my appointment with the area service rep, their man drove into the garage and it stunk real good. Rep and service writer agreed, "...boy, that sure stinks. Never heard of that problem before". Nothing fixed.

My WRX got a new clutch at 35,000 and nothing really was wrong with it (supposed "chatter on cold mornings). Go figure. Just wait until you try to sell your car and you have to demonstrate it.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interesting to note that my 2000 Outback had the exact same stinky clutch syndrome as my 2005 LGT caused by slipping the clutch. Makes me wonder if has something to do with material or coating on the plates used only by Subaru.

I've got 28000 miles on my OBXT and the clutch only stinks when my clutch-work is extremely poor:

slipping on monster hills

My roommate's '93 Audi 90 stinks a bit too under bad slippage, but it's a different kind of stank, and I think the clutch is about to go.

Those cars set aside, NO other 5 speed I've driven has ever smelled like the XT.

Radbert, I'd say you're probably in the right ballpark.

Cheers.

8.900 miles...have never had a stinky clutch. I drive the car hard but haven't done any high RPM launches. I'm way too old for that...but I remember laying down some 66's on the pavement with big Detroit V-8s in my younger years...88's were possible if you had a Goat, GTX, Road Runner, 4-4-2 or other mid to late sixties muscle car. Didn't have the money then to buy one of those cars. Closest I came was a '66 Pontiac 2+2 421 4-speed my senior year in college. Sold that car for $500...A cherry one today fetches $30,000+.

• 3 weeks later...
I have about 10k miles on my 2005 LGT and I almost never get the stink. If I back up a steep driveway, then yes I will smell it, and it STINKS... If my brain is really out to lunch and I slip it way too much I will get it, but that hasn't happened in months and months. In normal driving, even aggressive driving, I don't get the stink at all. There has to be something different from one clutch to another if so many people have this problem. My stink was worse the first 1k I had the car, now it isnt' even an issue.

Nothing noticable so far @ 2850 miles.
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

• 4 weeks later...
ok... add me to the Stinky Clutch club. i am not sure the build date on my car, but the (out of state) dealership i bought it from took delivery in June 2004. i guess i should register my complaint with my local dealership.:confused:

• 2 months later...

Mine stinks every now and again. Mostly edging up hill on my drive way, worse in reverse. Dont like the clutch action, total lack of feel and bite. Been driving stick since before most of you where in school.

2006 LGT

1500 miles

• 8 months later...
My 3.0RB had the smelly Clutch for the first 6000 Kms or so. I now have 21000 Km and have not had any problems since. I think because the take up point of the clutch is higher than on most other cars, even though you have driven manuals before you are inclined to accelerate the car before the take up point is reached and because revs climb quickly your engaging of the clutch is not fast enough and slippage occurs causing that awful smell:lol:

I don't know if this is related. The 1st 6000 m my clutch stank like crazy. Then the smell was gone.

At 32000 it burnet out. $1700 repair. Was told there were signs of hard driving ---no warranty repair.

I havr driven only mannuals over the tears (mainly Nissan cars) and never had this happen,

"Hard Driving"?

That's no excuse. I've always driven hard, and always MT cars, for decades without any clutch issues, including 60K on my 02 Stage II WRX. There's no excuse for either the clutch "stench" or failure at 32K.

You should have gotten warranty coverage for the clutch replacement. Perhaps you can still get it covered retroactively if you pursue it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just chiming in w/ our stinky clutch story. Yes, it is heinous. We learned quickly to hit the garage door opener button as early as we could so you wouldn't have to stop in our steep driveway and then start back up to get in the garage. Major stink. It's much worse when Rob drives it, but i figured out that if you're super, super gentle with the gas it doesn't slip and stink as much. It means i kill it more than he does (compounded by the fact that my integra's clutch is significantly different than the legacy's), but even in stop and go atlanta traffic i can make it home without it stinking. I usually let the car in front of me get ahead a bit, punch it briefly, then put it in neutral and let it coast as long as possible. I can ride the (original) clutch in my (97,000 mile) integra all the way home w/ nary a smell.

So really, if your clutch stops stinking, it's because you're getting better at driving the car. :) If i was the only one driving it, i'd think that it had gone away, but i only have to ride w/ my husband to know that it's still there. :) Seeing the luck that other people have had, i think we'll go ahead and start hassling one of the local dealerships for a replacement (we have the lease 60k extended warranty that covers the clutch) and see how that works.

Just chiming in w/ our stinky clutch story. Yes, it is heinous. We learned quickly to hit the garage door opener button as early as we could so you wouldn't have to stop in our steep driveway and then start back up to get in the garage. Major stink. It's much worse when Rob drives it, but i figured out that if you're super, super gentle with the gas it doesn't slip and stink as much. It means i kill it more than he does (compounded by the fact that my integra's clutch is significantly different than the legacy's), but even in stop and go atlanta traffic i can make it home without it stinking. I usually let the car in front of me get ahead a bit, punch it briefly, then put it in neutral and let it coast as long as possible. I can ride the (original) clutch in my (97,000 mile) integra all the way home w/ nary a smell.

So really, if your clutch stops stinking, it's because you're getting better at driving the car. :) If i was the only one driving it, i'd think that it had gone away, but i only have to ride w/ my husband to know that it's still there. :) Seeing the luck that other people have had, i think we'll go ahead and start hassling one of the local dealerships for a replacement (we have the lease 60k extended warranty that covers the clutch) and see how that works.

I totally agree with you. More gentle technique helps to prevent stink.

My clutch has been replaced under the warranty and still stinks if/when I want it.

just had 15,000 mi service on the 06 gtltd (build date 08/05). i have the stink every once in a while. i told the dealership and they didnt really care and even though mario came out in his helmet and firesuit to test drive the car, he said he couldnt reproduce the smell. i dont drive easy...and dont intend to start. the first thing one of my co-workers said about my suby was "damn, that looks fast". my response "yes, yes it is!!!".

Archived