LegacyGT.com

Does Anyone Have A 5 Speed Without A Stinky Clutch?

Guest turboman

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No hard launches for first 750 miles and no smell. Between the 750 and the 950 it has now I have been forced to make two hard lauches when a G35 was next to me at a light and then a Maxima .:lol: Smelled it immediatly ........ I smell it a bit when I back up in my driveway as it is on an incline.

First off, been driving only manual transmissions for 15 years and the only time I ever "stunk" my clutch in the past was when I was learning to drive stick.

Normally, with day to day driving in my wagon I have little to no stink -- when I do, it's infrequent, and only when entering my driveway (not a steep grade, but a sharp angle that will bottom out on the front end if not taken delicately).

However, I was up snowboarding a couple weeks ago and the slow line of cars up the hill to the parking lot forced me to do some gas/clutch pedal modulation to slowly "creep" up the hill without rear-ending anyone. Result? The foulest, most wretched smell that necessitated rolling all the windows down. This has never happened before in any other car that I've taken into the mountains.

This is with ~6K miles on the odometer.

AWD cars, you want the clutch to slip, rather than your gears suck up the shock.. believe me youd rather your clutch slip on these situations than your gears :) WRX's have this problem but people shred gears the legacy has gobs more torque. If you slip your clutch it will stink. If your clutch isnt slipping it wont stink.

the engagement is different than any other stick ive driven but i like it better.

Listen, this problem is on all 5spd LGTs, if you drive hard and burn the clutch, you get that wonderful pull of acceleration and then the waft of a horrific fart/sulphur smell as you scoot away.... When I drive people for the first time I have to warn them, "It was the car, I swear..."

However, I was up snowboarding a couple weeks ago and the slow line of cars up the hill to the parking lot forced me to do some gas/clutch pedal modulation to slowly "creep" up the hill without rear-ending anyone. Result? The foulest, most wretched smell that necessitated rolling all the windows down. This has never happened before in any other car that I've taken into the mountains.

This is with ~6K miles on the odometer.

:) THIS IS WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT

:: EVERYONE ::

Please fill this out, it's the least you can do to help this situation.

http://subaru.com/contact/contact/middle.jsp?track=homepage_footer and choose Vehicle Problem.

I am taking mine to the dealer today (2/7). While I expect the dealer will just shrug it off, I plan to bitch at SOA until they do something.

::UPDATE::

So I took it to the dealer, the service dept mgr went out for a short ride with me. I was able to demonstrate the problem, he got a blast right in the face. At first he said its prolly the exhaust, got out, smelled the tail pipe --nothing, and I explained when/why this was happening.

Got under the hood, no smell, jumped back in the car. Did it one more time to him on this lil uphill driveway and whammo -- one more blast. He was disgusted.

Got back to the dealer, he told the manager, I filed some paperwork and that's it. I have done my part to get this some attention and I have exhausted my complaint options.

Lets get this fixed.

noobie here, i also have a stinky clutch on my 05 gt ltd.it is most noticable when i back up my driveway which has a moderate incline,it always stinks unless i get a running start to go up but i cant do that all the time.it will stall if i let it out too fast or as in most cases when i let it out as fast as possible so it wont stall it is overwhelming with the clutch smell.i am calling the dealer on monday to try to fix this.

My question is are we kidding ourselves to think that Subaru can fix our stinky clutches. The way I see it, Subaru designed the clutch to operate this way to avoid warranty issues with the transmission. It's unfortunate for someone like me because I never launch the car and as such probably would never have had a transmission issue had the clutch not been designed to be the weak link. Yet, I have to drive in stop and go situations, no two ways around that. Originally, I was hopefull that there was a bad batch of clutchs out there, but, LGT's of various 05 vintages have reported the problem. So I've got to agree with the posting where someone said all the MT's have stinky clutches, even though some people report otherwise. Just calling it like I see it or am I missing something.

I submitted a complaint via the form above. They directed me to my local dealer's service manager to have them look at the car, ignoring my statement that they had already looked at it three times. The dealer was supposed to file a report with the regional SOA service guy. Does anyone really think he did? I don't :rolleyes:

Gotta love those canned responses. :rolleyes: I worked at an office with a crew of people who sent those. They would look for key words and then drool like a pack of Pavlov's dogs and shoot out the first email that came to mind. They don't even read the whole problem.

My clutch is a stinky little sucker too. With less than 300 miles on the clock I think I'll give it some more break in time to go away. I'm not waiting it out for a year to see if it goes away when I hit 5 figure mile numbers, but I am willing to be patient for a little while.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Guest turboman

Wouldn't anything that increases HP substantially magnify the clutch stink and likely short lifespan?

With an AP and stage 1 you'll likely pick up your maximum gain in the 3500-4500 rpm range. It must be damn hard on a already marginal clutch.

I get a bad stink on my stocker (mufflers & Blitz) with a reasonably aggressive shift into 2nd and 3rd if I'm slightly slow on the release.

Could we go to a BMW dealer and have them deactivate the CDV? If you look at the clutch master cylinder there's screw in valve looking thingee sticking in the front of the cylinder with no hydraulic lines coming out of it. If you would simply screw an appropriate sized plug in after removing the valve....

Archived