LegacyGT.com

Does Anyone Have A 5 Speed Without A Stinky Clutch?

Guest turboman

When I was changing the oil I noticed that a waxy rust proofing had been sprayed on the underside of the car (which is a good thing!). However there was a lot of this orangey waxy stuff on the transmission bell housing. I'm wondering is the heat from the clutch is smoking this stuff and causing the smell (since I can't imagine the friction places smelling like this). Next time I'm under the car I'm going to scrape some of this stuff off, put it on the foil and heat it on the stove and give it a good sniff. If anyone wants to second this test, it would be great to get some confirmation.

This stench has to go!!!!

Also, I will join the countless others that keep reiterating THIS IS NOT DRIVER ERROR. I've been driving stick in all my cars, and my last one (which I still drive as a 2nd car) has 200k miles on the original clutch (car driven hard and AutoX'ed). I've never had stench like this before. Also, burning clutch and break pads just don't stink like this -- hence he reason I'm thinking is must be related to clutch heating the surrounding area.

I wish it were just a simple burning smell -- it's much much worse!!

Ok, I'm ranting -- sorry :-)

Joe

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
600 miles on the clock, and i've never had a smell at all.

Launch the car relatively hard (just pretend you need to quickly

get out of the way of an out of control 18 wheeler heading

directly at you) or back up even a mildly steep driveway or incline (say

a local parking garage...just pretend you passed up an open spot

and need to back up 20-30 feet)...you'll then get your

first whiff!

I didn't get my first whiff of the stink until I had about 1800 miles

on my car and I did ONE hard launch in a fun run with a buddy

in his 05 Audi S4.

Since then, even the slightest clutch slipping will evoke the smell.

In "normal" driving...no problem.

That's pretty much how it is for everyone standard across the board.

As I continue to obsess about my stinky-clutch I had to following idea. Probably dumb, but here it is anyway J

I think one of the main defects is that the stink is allowed to get into the cabin (even when HVAC is on recirculation – which also sucks in a little bit of outside air) and this happens due to the location of the points in the bell housing where the stench gets out (note the slave is up on top quite close to where the cabin air gets sucked from). What about controlling where the bell housing vents and run a vent tube under the car (any old 1” rubber tube would do). By running the vent to a place far away from where the HVAC system gets its air could minimize the cabin stench. It may not help on reversing, but certainly would on forwards motion. All other vent points in the bell housing could be sealed up. I know – it’s probably going to lock in more heat and make things worse.

Perhaps the defect is that there is a leak in the firewall right where the clutch fork comes out of the housing.

Ok, it’s probably a stupid idea – I just thinking of all options other than aftermarket clutch (when one comes out).

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

I may start looking at the NJ Lemon Law. I wonder if certain states make it easier than others to pursue. Man, I wish it didn't have to go this far!!! Changing the clutch on a $30 car (and it's not all of them) doesn't cost SOA that much.

Good luck on the Lemon case -- please keep the board posted.

Joe

BTW... for those of you who are interested. They actually tried to tell me it was Sunoco 94 creating the smell. So they said switch gas and we'll pay for 4 tanks..... reeeeeediculous.....(they *say* the check is in the mail at least.....)

-------------------------------------

Dear Mr. Sullivan:

Thank you for your email. We have reviewed your concerns here with your

vehicle. If you feel the issue has not been resolved you are welcome to

bring the vehicle to a different dealer for inspection. Norwood Subaru is

one option.

I sent out the goodwill reimbursement check to you for the four tanks of

gas.

Regards,

Maigann Westfall

Subaru of America, Inc.

Case #714936-----

Cutback99: You must be totally frustrated over this. There is nothing worse than a big company trying to pass the little guy off as a fool. I hope you have the stamina to pursue this and get some resolution. I feel resigned to the issue right now, due to lack of time to pursue (lots of work related travel over the next several months).

I have had 400 miles and no stink, have been following factory break in with the exception of a few blips up to 5 grand. I even let my friend who is still learning stick drive it around his hood and he killed it like 3 times and no stink.

What RPM are you guys launching at? I'm doing between 1500-2000 when the clutch is fully engaged...

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Tx Joe,

The only frustrating thing is.... it is such a great car and I really don't wanna make such a big deal out of it.... but it's not perfect, and perfect is what I thought I drove home from the dealer

Ok. So here's an update.

+ Clutch Stink

+Take to dealers

+They admit there is a problem

+SOA says its the gasoline (um yaaah), they offer to pay for 4 tanks of Mobil.

+Still stinks

+They send me a check for the 4 tanks of gas

HERES THE KICKER----

As I was about to sign the check I noticed that it CLEARLY states BY ENDORSING

THIS CHECK I ACKNOWLEDGE FULL AND FINAL SETTLEMENT OF CLAIM #714936.

Excuse me? Nothing has been solved here. I own a 30k Subaru that

smells when I drive it. How does $121.24 solve this?

Ass!@#$!!!!!!!

Back to appealing to a higher power....

Though I haven't smelled the "clutch stink" in weeks (mostly because I haven't

had to drive up an incline, or haven't even done a moderately hard take off)

things like the above about SOA are what's continually pushing me away from

Subaru.

The GAS??? LOL Yeah, the gas makes it down to the clutch assembly...and

it burns hotter in the clutch assembly than it does in the engine therefore

the gas smells funny...yeah that's it!!

The gas may not be the problems of the clutch stink, but it can certainly cause strange smells.

I was getting more of a catalytic smell for a while, most noticably in the winter months. In the last few months i have made a specific point to change brands of gas. Certainly we have now switched over from winter to summer gas. So far i haven't had any more problems. I definetly think the catalytic smell is a direct result of the amount of sulfer in the gas.

The sulfer content will also change depending on your location. For example CA has certain limits on what is allowed, where as i doubt NH does.

I doubt this will relate to the clutch, but certainly any rotten egg smells can be attributed in some amount to the sulfer content.

Interesting that so many of you are having such problems. I took my Gt into the dealer on Thursday the 12th for its first oil change. While there, I mentioned the stinky clutch (I also brought the case numbers of three others here). They drove the car and said they couldn't duplicate so I offered to show a tech.

Obviously I was able to show the tech that under normal driving it is problem. Today I dropped my car off at the dealer. I was told that the tech called SOA and they are replacing the whole clutch, I'll have the car back later today.

Village Subaru in Acton Massachusetts if anyone cares.

Hi Sphinx~

So I brought it out this morning, they duplicated the problem. Left it overnight and they are going to replace the same parts they did on yours. I am hopeful, but the driving will tell me if they got it or not. Pick it up in the morning....

As a sidenote, it's strange going from a stick to an auto-stick on the Outback wagon (loaner car). Getting back on Rte 2 into the city, I went to downshift and hit the brake by accident (looking for the clutch), DOH!

I will update this with my new parts tomorrow!!

Tx

Guest turboman
Hi Sphinx~

So I brought it out this morning, they duplicated the problem. Left it overnight and they are going to replace the same parts they did on yours. I am hopeful, but the driving will tell me if they got it or not. Pick it up in the morning....

As a sidenote, it's strange going from a stick to an auto-stick on the Outback wagon (loaner car). Getting back on Rte 2 into the city, I went to downshift and hit the brake by accident (looking for the clutch), DOH!

I will update this with my new parts tomorrow!!

Tx

Cutback99: After your car is fixed could you please post all info you can get off the invoice. Include dealers name, address, phone number, case number if any, any warranty numbers, etc. The more statistics we can give our dealers the stronger case we have. Sure appreciate your help.

I made an appointment at Village Subaru on monday for my clutch, unlike you guys I have a variety of other issues with my clutch that my current dealer keeps saying is "unreproducable". Talking with the service "people managers" is worse that going to the dentist.

Do you guys have any names that you can give me? service manager/tech who can reproduce the problem? I don't want to go there are have an argument for hours. Please feel free to PM me :)

Thanks a lot!!!!

Archived