LegacyGT.com

Does Anyone Have A 5 Speed Without A Stinky Clutch?

Guest turboman

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest turboman
Isn't it about time for this thread to go away and die?

Stupid question.

If SOA resolved the issue this thread would go away on its own.

It's not going to go away until we built a irrefutable case that buyers of early build cars are getting screwed.

Isn't it about time for this thread to go away and die?
If it does not affect you then just don't read it! For those of us who spent $30k on a car that has a clutch that smell worse than s**t we would like the problem fixed.SKIP THE THREAD IF YOU ARE NOT INTERESTED!!!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Around here...they sure do..that's y I always make sure to put in my: LOL's , simily faces and such.....when I'm just messing around.....

Careful they bite :D

Oh and my car is built AFTER the date and I don't smell it until forced, but I still DO smell it even AFTER the build date....usually when driving up on my ramps to do my installs and such.....

Build date is on the drivers side white sticker

Not on the door jamb, but on the end of the door itself where the latch is. It is under the curve....you have to kneel down to see it if you arre tall like me.

Guest turboman
Around here...they sure do..that's y I always make sure to put in my: LOL's , simily faces and such.....when I'm just messing around.....

Careful they bite :D

Oh and my car is built AFTER the date and I don't smell it until forced, but I still DO smell it even AFTER the build date....usually when driving up on my ramps to do my installs and such.....

Build date is on the drivers side white sticker

Respectfully, AFTER WHAT DATE?

Of course, I'm not dodge'n......I'll look again when I get home today. I just remember read'n it when the dates got posted in this thread and check'n then think'n few I'm after Dec 04'.......I will get you the exact date this afternoon (I want to make sure I'm exact =)

:: MORE ::

+ Mine was manufactured sometime during 8/04 (purchased 10/04)

+ I made a second appointment for next monday 3/14

Dear Mr. Sullivan:

Thank you for visiting the Subaru Web site and for your message. We note that you have an open case with our Customer/Dealer Services Department, case number 714936. Your message above will be entered into that case. For future assistance with this concern, please direct your messages to Ms. Westfall in our Customer/Dealer Services Department. You can continue to communicate with her by email or by phone at 1-800-782-2783.

Sincerely,

John J. Mergen

Subaru of America, Inc.

---------

Hello Mr. Sullivan,

I followed up with Cityside Subaru regarding the sulfur smell concern you

have with your vehicle. The Service Manager indicated you would be

rescheduling a time to bring your vehicle in so they can do more in depth

diagnostics. When you know the time and date you are bringing your vehicle

in please email me so I can follow up with the dealer on this concern for

you.

Thank you!

Maigann Westfall

Subaru of America, Inc.

Case #714936

Guest turboman

Saw in another thread that SOA changed the oil filter from a AA080 to a AA100 in DECEMBER of '04 without any kind on a service bulletin.

Wonder what else they changed around December? Clutch delay valve? Clutch disc?

The mystery deepens...

8/04. 6400+ miles and still stinks. But not all the time. Only if I take off kinda hard and shift quickly to 2nd gear. After a few minutes the smell goes away. i haven't experienced the driving in reverse uphill thing though.

here is my reply from SOA,notice the year of the car:confused: :confused: makes me wonder, 205?

Thank you for visiting the Subaru Web site and for taking the time to e-mail

us. We regret the circumstances that have prompted you to email us.

To date, there has been no recalls or campaigns issued for a clutch smell

concern for our 205 Legacy's. You may want to have an Authorized Subaru

dealer inspect your vehicle to try and resolve your concern. One thing you

may want to do is ride with them so you can duplicate the concern for them.

If you need our help or have any further questions, please feel free to

contact us at 1-800-782-2783 and refer to Case #727220.

Chad Daniels

-----------------------------------------------------------

YOUR ORIGINAL MAIL:

i have a 2005 legacy gt ltd and the clutch smells horrible when backing up

my driveway which has a incline to it.if i let the clutch out too fast it

stalls,if i let it out with as little engine rpm as possible to get it up

the driveway it will go up the driveway but that is when i get this

overwhelming smell of the clutch.the car has done this from day 1 (bought

car 1/13/05)and i still have this problem and as i have read everyone else

with a manual trans is having the same problem.the car has just over 2000

miles on it and was broken in according to the directions in the owners

manual.please advise me if there is a defective clutch in all of these

legacys because i will not be very happy if later on in time i have to pay

for a new clutch.this is my 2nd subaru that i have owned and would like to

continue to buy subarus in the future.thank- you

here is my reply from SOA,notice the year of the car:confused: :confused: makes me wonder, 205?

Thank you for visiting the Subaru Web site and for taking the time to e-mail

us. We regret the circumstances that have prompted you to email us.

To date, there has been no recalls or campaigns issued for a clutch smell

concern for our 205 Legacy's. You may want to have an Authorized Subaru

dealer inspect your vehicle to try and resolve your concern. One thing you

may want to do is ride with them so you can duplicate the concern for them.

If you need our help or have any further questions, please feel free to

contact us at 1-800-782-2783 and refer to Case #727220.

Chad Daniels

-----------------------------------------------------------

YOUR ORIGINAL MAIL:

i have a 2005 legacy gt ltd and the clutch smells horrible when backing up

my driveway which has a incline to it.if i let the clutch out too fast it

stalls,if i let it out with as little engine rpm as possible to get it up

the driveway it will go up the driveway but that is when i get this

overwhelming smell of the clutch.the car has done this from day 1 (bought

car 1/13/05)and i still have this problem and as i have read everyone else

with a manual trans is having the same problem.the car has just over 2000

miles on it and was broken in according to the directions in the owners

manual.please advise me if there is a defective clutch in all of these

legacys because i will not be very happy if later on in time i have to pay

for a new clutch.this is my 2nd subaru that i have owned and would like to

continue to buy subarus in the future.thank- you

Please note that not everyone with a manual transmission is having the same problem. I have an LGT, built 05/04, and the clutch is fine. A friend has a GT, purchased the same month (July) as mine, and he doesn't have the problem. Another friend purchased about two months after me, and he doesn't have the problem, either.

Subaru's suggestion to visit the dealer is appropriate, and what they always suggest as a first step toward resolving the difficulty. As I wrote earlier, the dealer/service network is the first, and usually most effective step. SOA is the parent company, but they can't really fix your car the way that your dealer can.

A larger concern is that this matter might become like the WRX ABS issue. Threads on other boards regarding the problem seem to be hundreds of pages long. Yet nobody, that anyone can recall, was able to effectively recreate the malfunction for their dealer's service department, which is what they need to have happen so that things can be diagnosed correctly. Subaru of America, once an NHTSA case was opened, even bought back two cars from message board members who were among the most vociferous about the difficulty. They wrung the cars out, and even contacted the owners about the conditions in which the WRX's brakes malfunctioned, and Subaru couldn't get the same thing to happen.

None of this is in any way meant to dismiss anyone's problems with the clutch odor. As I said, my car emitted the smell for the first part of its life, but doesn't any longer. Manufacturers have been known to change part suppliers in the middle of a production run, and the like. So I feel the pain of those who get the stink all the time.

But truly, the most effective resolution method is to make it stink for your dealer's service advisior, so that he can say "Lordy, that smells," and take the next step for you.

Good luck,

Kevin

Please note that not everyone with a manual transmission is having the same problem. I have an LGT, built 05/04, and the clutch is fine. A friend has a GT, purchased the same month (July) as mine, and he doesn't have the problem. Another friend purchased about two months after me, and he doesn't have the problem, either.

Subaru's suggestion to visit the dealer is appropriate, and what they always suggest as a first step toward resolving the difficulty. As I wrote earlier, the dealer/service network is the first, and usually most effective step. SOA is the parent company, but they can't really fix your car the way that your dealer can.

A larger concern is that this matter might become like the WRX ABS issue. Threads on other boards regarding the problem seem to be hundreds of pages long. Yet nobody, that anyone can recall, was able to effectively recreate the malfunction for their dealer's service department, which is what they need to have happen so that things can be diagnosed correctly. Subaru of America, once an NHTSA case was opened, even bought back two cars from message board members who were among the most vociferous about the difficulty. They wrung the cars out, and even contacted the owners about the conditions in which the WRX's brakes malfunctioned, and Subaru couldn't get the same thing to happen.

None of this is in any way meant to dismiss anyone's problems with the clutch odor. As I said, my car emitted the smell for the first part of its life, but doesn't any longer. Manufacturers have been known to change part suppliers in the middle of a production run, and the like. So I feel the pain of those who get the stink all the time.

But truly, the most effective resolution method is to make it stink for your dealer's service advisior, so that he can say "Lordy, that smells," and take the next step for you.

Good luck,

Kevin

I took it to the dealer twice and they duplicated the problem twice (they were driving the car). They contacted tech support and they had no cure.I then took the car in for a third time so an engenier could see the problem and on that day it was very windy outside and they could not duplicate the problem at the time.I think that it being so windy out tht day it may have affected the problem because I still get the stink.I am bringing the car in Monday to have them check the rear main seal and the clutch delay valve,some have found that this fixes the problem so I shall see Moday.

I took it to the dealer twice and they duplicated the problem twice (they were driving the car). They contacted tech support and they had no cure.I then took the car in for a third time so an engenier could see the problem and on that day it was very windy outside and they could not duplicate the problem at the time.I think that it being so windy out tht day it may have affected the problem because I still get the stink.I am bringing the car in Monday to have them check the rear main seal and the clutch delay valve,some have found that this fixes the problem so I shall see Moday.

Good deal, Doogie. Keep us all posted, please. I remember the first time I got the smell...it was pretty nasty, to be sure. :lol:

Cheers,

Kevin

Guest turboman

If you are taking your car to your dealer to discuss and hopefully demonstrate the dreaded clutch stink here's a new strategy;

It'll work best when you're parked right in front of the service desk for maximum effect. They'll smell it even up in sales offices.

Pull up the hand brake tight. Put it in 2nd gear. Rev it carefully to 3500 rpm and let the clutch HALFWAY out and HOLD IT for 5 seconds (the car won't move any) (Experiment on how many seconds it will take). Double Stinkooo!

Practice it a couple of times in your driveway to see if your car produces the noxious fumes under these conditions. Going out for a drive with the service writer it's sometimes hard to find the exact combination if there are no hills in your area. Then you drive back in the garage with egg on your face and a smirk on the service writer's face.

Of course explain this is not the way you drive on the street. It is just the best way to demonstrate the stink we do get under certain conditions that may not be duplicatable today. It's to save time for the service writer and there's a mechanic close by with a nose.

If you are taking your car to your dealer to discuss and hopefully demonstrate the dreaded clutch stink here's a new strategy;

It'll work best when you're parked right in front of the service desk for maximum effect. They'll smell it even up in sales offices.

Pull up the hand brake tight. Put it in 2nd gear. Rev it carefully to 3500 rpm and let the clutch HALFWAY out and HOLD IT for 5 seconds (the car won't move any) (Experiment on how many seconds it will take). Double Stinkooo!

Practice it a couple of times in your driveway to see if your car produces the noxious fumes under these conditions. Going out for a drive with the service writer it's sometimes hard to find the exact combination if there are no hills in your area. Then you drive back in the garage with egg on your face and a smirk on the service writer's face.

Of course explain this is not the way you drive on the street. It is just the best way to demonstrate the stink we do get under certain conditions that may not be duplicatable today. It's to save time for the service writer and there's a mechanic close by with a nose.

I have already done this and it was the tech from the dealer that got a good whiff of the stink,so he duplicated the problem for me.he let the clutch out so fast i dont know how he didnt stall the car,then he got the smell so he knows what it is.

Archived