LegacyGT.com

Does Anyone Have A 5 Speed Without A Stinky Clutch?

Guest turboman

That's absolutely and completely ludicrous. Given the widespread problem and various brands of gas we all use, this is obviously a stall tactic. Also, if gas were really the issue, other models of Subaru and other brands would have the same problems.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's absolutely and completely ludicrous. Given the widespread problem and various brands of gas we all use, this is obviously a stall tactic. Also, if gas were really the issue, other models of Subaru and other brands would have the same problems.

I know. I just sent a few more emails out to SOA pleading for help. It just isn't right.

Thank you for your emails. We did follow up with Cityside Subaru regarding your appointment yesterday. The Service Manager Mike advised us that the sulfur smell is related to the grade and type of gasoline. We suggest you follow their recommendation of a different brand of fuel for 4 tankfuls. They did not find anything wrong with the clutch at this time and they do feel that this concern is fuel related. If you have any questions feel free to call the Service Manager Mike at Cityside Subaru.

Thank you,

Maigann Westfall

Subaru of America, Inc.

Case #714936

-------------------------

* He said / SOA said

* Was never put on the lift for clutch inspection

* Sunoco 94 is doing this? Highly unlikely

! ! ! ! B U L L S H I T ! ! ! !

-------------------------

Maybe this should have been done a little sooner.... but those of you who are having this issue, maybe you could add your Subaru case number? May put holes in SOA's response that this is the first they have heard of the problem.

Please add your case number for :: Clutch Stink ::

------------------------------------------------

Cutback99 :: Case #714936

------------------------------------------------

No stinky clutch here. It stunk the first few hard take-offs, but has gone away since.(11,000)

Btw, I hate my dealer, everything about them is bad. Actually had a bad experience today with them.:mad: Hope you all don't have a dealer like I do.

My STi has the same problem. Usually I get the stink if I over-rev when I'm in reverse. This has NEVER happened on any of my previous manual transmission cars so I have to say it's a Subaru clutch thing.

I have about 750+ miles on my vehicle, and I can't say that i've ever encountered a foul smell from the clutch. As per normal, I did have some initial odor when I was driving off the dealers lot, but this dissipated in the first hundred miles of the car, and certainly wasn't noticeable from the interior.

As for the gasoline claims... doesn't make much sense to me, but then again thats not my area of expertise. All I can say is that my vehicle has run strictly on Shell Premium (93 octane) since the intial tank of gasoline was depleted on the drive home.

What I can say for sure though is the MT on the Legacy is by far the least problematic i've owned in the last ten years... I almost had a heart attack when I drove it the first time, seeing how much coaxing my Porsches require to remain smooth while attempting to launch/shift. (If you want to smell/feel a foul clutch, drive a Porsche 968 through rush hour traffic for a few hours).

------

Domain

Guest turboman

I'm placing this in this thread because those of us with stinky clutch are likely subscribed. There's a way that we can beat this constant denial by SOA.

Would everyone please go to their submittal and add your CASE NUMBER if you have one.

Mine is 717897.

When there are a sufficient number of case numbers listed, make yourself a summary of the numbers, or one of us can list all the numbers, and post them in this thread in one message that we can print. Stay "subscribed" to this thread so you will know what's going on. There are several other threads on the same subject. I hope they are subscribed to this one also.

Take that printed list of case numbers to your SOA zone rep and tell him, "No more bullshit. Here's a list of (XXX) case numbers taken from your system of exactly the same problem". Then let him deny he ever heard of any problems with a stinky clutch.:mad:

I'm taking mine in to the dealership Thursday. What should I tell him as far as other people having the same problem? I didn't quite understand what you meant by submittal.

Also going to check on studdering clutch as well, it's really irritating me.

Guest turboman
I'm taking mine in to the dealership Thursday. What should I tell him as far as other people having the same problem? I didn't quite understand what you meant by submittal.

What I did was to print out this thread (maybe 10 pages?) and take it along and give it to the dealer's Service Manager.. And ask them for a Case Number. Good luck.

Are you going to Dulles Subaru? Which SA are you dealing with? Mickey or Doug?

Well I went today and dealt with Doug. He had Garry the Shop Foreman ride with me. I was able to make the clutch stink pretty easily, but had less luck convincing him there was a shudder when accelerating. He put it on the lift though but saw nothing unusual. Doug did say he was going to call SOA to find out if this was an issue. I told him about this forum and how common this issue was. He said he had only heard about it one other time and that was on an Outback.

Funny - Doug and I have had that same conversation three times since December....as recently as last week for my oil change. I don't think he ever called the regional Subaru rep like he promised to each time. Something stinks here (more than the clutch).

EDIT: I just called Doug and spoke at length about this. PM me if you need more info.

Guest turboman
Funny - Doug and I have had that same conversation three times since December....as recently as last week for my oil change. I don't think he ever called the regional Subaru rep like he promised to each time. Something stinks here (more than the clutch).

EDIT: I just called Doug and spoke at length about this. PM me if you need more info.

I think you're right. I'm betting there's a corporate memo directing all service writers and customer service reps to deny any knowledge of clutch problems.

I talked today to Gerilyn Carr at SOA National Customer Dealer servcies Center at 1-800-782-2783 about my case number (XXXX for anonymity). She had sent me a letter advising I contact her to set up an appointment with our area rep, who goes to my dealership ONCE a month.

I asked her on the phone if she was aware of any clutch problems on '05's. She said "not really", but that she had just received a stack of printouts from SOMEONE at (I presume) LegacyGT.com. She said maybe I know the guy (?) and changed the subject when I said "no".

My dealer service writer also said today, over the phone, he had heard of no problems. About a month ago I gave him about 10 pages of printouts from our forum, and I saw them all reading them. Something sure does stink.:mad:

Sure does appear SOA is not fessing up to the issue. Has anybody collected a good number of the case numbers associated with this issue from people on this forum? At least when the SOA customer service center states that they have not encountered a stinky clutch issue/complaint, some one can say, you must be mistaken:rolleyes: , I have at least a dozen case numbers here all registering the same issue with SOA customer service.:eek:

My car was built 01/05. There's been no smell from the clutch nor any difficulty engaging it. My '93 is harder to shift smoothly.

Neither the car I drove in Longmont, CO nor the demo car in Redwood City had the clutch stink issue either. They were built 12/2004.

I'm placing this in this thread because those of us with stinky clutch are likely subscribed. There's a way that we can beat this constant denial by SOA.

Would everyone please go to their submittal and add your CASE NUMBER if you have one.

Mine is 717897.

When there are a sufficient number of case numbers listed, make yourself a summary of the numbers, or one of us can list all the numbers, and post them in this thread in one message that we can print. Stay "subscribed" to this thread so you will know what's going on. There are several other threads on the same subject. I hope they are subscribed to this one also.

Take that printed list of case numbers to your SOA zone rep and tell him, "No more bullshit. Here's a list of (XXX) case numbers taken from your system of exactly the same problem". Then let him deny he ever heard of any problems with a stinky clutch.:mad:

Here's my case number: 728880 The problem seems to have gone away, but it does still stutter a bit when I take off sometimes. Kind of the feeling you get when you have a dirty fuel filter. The gas just doesn't seem to be getting where it needs to go right away.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Guest turboman
Sure does appear SOA is not fessing up to the issue. Has anybody collected a good number of the case numbers associated with this issue from people on this forum? At least when the SOA customer service center states that they have not encountered a stinky clutch issue/complaint, some one can say, you must be mistaken:rolleyes: , I have at least a dozen case numbers here all registering the same issue with SOA customer service.:eek:

Tony, how about listing here as many case numbers as you have. We can all use them in our discussion with Zone Reps. Thanks.

My car was built 08/04 and it has 12,500 miles. I haven’t had stinky clutch problem until yesterday when I was caught in traffic jam in New York City. After about 20 minutes of stop and go my clutch has started to stink. The smell was awful. Then on top of stink the clutch has started to slip and stutter that scared me most of all. I even heard some suspiciously clunky noise from the underneath when shifted.

This morning I took my car for the ride and everything seems to be normal. I am going to my dealer this week to report this problem.

Archived