LegacyGT.com

Does Anyone Have A 5 Speed Without A Stinky Clutch?

Guest turboman

UPDATED: There's a thread at NASOIC of maybe 20-25 '05 Legacy 5spd owners and everyone raves about how wonderful their car is. Not one mention of a clutch stink problem. How is this possible, logistically. Just doesn't make sense. I thought their was only one factory building legacys. Is there two?:confused:

Is it mainly midwest cars that have the problem? Are they all from the same factory? Is there more than one outside vendor for clutches? Maybe the build dates are the reason. Could there have been a mid-model clutch upgrade to stop the problem? Is it the earlier built cars or the later built ones that have the problem? Mine was built on 6-6-04. Early ones must be the bad ones? That means there WAS a mid-model correction!

If almost 3000 people have viewed this thread and only 94 replied in the affirmative, would that mean only 3 per cent of the cars have the problem?

Something stinks here!!! :mad:

here is a thread i started over on NASIOC about it. if everyone here would post in the link provided it might get more attention.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=718860

build date 07/04 in Iniana

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My build date was Sept '04, though it didn't see service until November.

Dave - you don't have to abuse the clutch to get the smell. In fact, I rarely drive the car in a way that cause it the way you think. I take issue with the smell created when driving in stop and go traffic and backing into my driveway (up a slight incline). Those two conditions are unavoidable and inexcusable. More than once, I have had clients in the car with me and have gotten stuck in DC traffic. I have to apologize for the smell.

I've got like 160 miles on mine and have never had the clutch stink. I'm surprised as this is my first MT and I'm not that smooth yet:lol:. My salesman said to expect a stink because some coating is burning off from shipment? I don't think you can mistake clutch smell it is very unique.

Guest turboman
I've got like 160 miles on mine and have never had the clutch stink. I'm surprised as this is my first MT and I'm not that smooth yet:lol:. My salesman said to expect a stink because some coating is burning off from shipment? I don't think you can mistake clutch smell it is very unique.

Please add your "build date". Its on the edge of the drivers door. Thanks.

Guest turboman
Maybe it's because all the "stink" talk is keeping me from doing a hard slip of the clutch, but I've not had one incident of stink in the ~650 miles I've had the car.

Build date: 2/3/05.

I guess I'm just being too nice to it?

Dave: You reinforce the suspicion that after a certain date there was a factory change in clutch vendor or clutch material or CDV. That nobody at Subaru will admit to because it will make them liable for a recall of early models.

Guest turboman
well the smell is still there.it just so happens that when i did not get the smell it was very windy outside.the dealer had a engeneir go out with the dealer and they could not duplicate the stink (it was very windy that day) calling dealer tommorrow and will try to set up an apt with the engeneir and i will drive the car this time and get it to stink.will update after apt.

Please add your "build date" so we can establish a pattern. It is on a white tag on the edge of the drivers door. Thanks.

Guest turboman
You shouldn't presume that everyone has the problem. My car has been stink-free since about 1500 miles (now about 6200 on the clock). Some of it was learning a lighter touch on the clutch (torqueless WRXes teach a different technique). I can get it to stink if I slip it a LOT, but Patagonian GT might have something about later cars. A friend also has a second allocation car (I got mine in July, '04) and he doesn't have clutch stink either.

Kevin

Kevin, please add your build date. Delivery date doesn't mean a thing. Thanks.

Guest turboman
I posted in December about the stinky clutch and requested those that do list their build date and in-service date. I am firmly convinced SOA changed suppliers at some point late summer and those of us who have the problem have the newest cars

Please add your build date to help gather data.

So far it appears the cars AFTER about 10 or 11/04 are not having any stink problem. Follow up this thread and I think you'll see the pattern too.

So far it appears the cars AFTER about 10 or 11/04 are not having any stink problem. Follow up this thread and I think you'll see the pattern too.

Build date 05/04, saith the door.

Kevin

I have the stink problem

Not sure on exact build date but purchased on June 20th so build probably in may 04,

Pete

Guest turboman
I have the stink problem

Not sure on exact build date but purchased on June 20th so build probably in may 04,

Pete

The delivery or purchase date has nothing to do with the build date. My car was built in June and delivered in December. Build date is on a vertical white tag on edge of driver's door. Thanks.

Guest turboman

Mr. Infante, thank you for your reply. You noted that you follow NASOIC. So do I and I can't figure out why few or none of their Legacy GT owners are having the dreaded stinky clutch. SubaruGT.com has 100's of complaints. We are building a "date built" history that so far confirms that cars built AFTER November, '04, do NOT have the problem.

Apparently there was an assembly line change at that time either in clutch vendors or in clutch material. Our documentation will be used, if necessary, in a class action suit asking for a recall of the early cars for a clutch replacement or a different CDV.

If you have the opportunity, drive a GT built during the Summer/early Fall and decide for yourself. You seem like a reasonable person. We love our cars. This is my 4th Subaru. All we ask is a fair shake.

Respectfully.

Jim xxxxl

Jim xxxx wrote:

Thanks for the info. Appreciate your reply. Check out LegacyGT.com. There are literally hundreds of e-mails complaining about the "stinky clutch". There are many separate threads with many, many complaints by Legacy GT 5 speed owners. I am sure it will open your eyes. The problem is the CDV (clutch delay valve) that was put in by Engineering to prevent another WRX transmission disaster (young drivers side stepping the clutch during high rpm launches) . Thanks again.

Jim

Infante, Dominick wrote:

Hi Mr. xxxx,

I have been out of the office for a week and a half in California and before that a week in Detroit for the Detroit Auto Show, so I am behind on my e-mails. I am not familiar with the smelly clutch issue. I drove a GT LTD sedan with a five speed manual for about four months and did not experience the issue. Actually, I am surprised by how light and progressive the clutch is when compared with STi and Forester XT, which have a different feel. I will forward your complaint to service and ask around to see if anyone here has had the problem. As some of the links suggest, we need these issues reported to SOA so that we can look into it and evaluate if there is a clutch issue. There is a service process for these issues and they are not ignored.

By the way, we do follow NASIOC forums.

Dominick

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 9:50 AM

To: dinfante

Subject: Re: Complaint history, partial example.

I didn't think you would reply. That is what I told the LegacyGT and NASIOC forums comprising probably 25,000+ active Subaru owners. Smart.

Jim xxxx wrote:

Did you get a chance to look into this? Appreciate your help.

Jim xxxx wrote:

Please check out this thread at LegacyGT.com. Thanks for your concern.

Please see this link http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=113696#post113696

Jim

This message scanned for viruses by CoreComm

I just got off the phone with SOA and they can't do anything untill people start bringing there car to the dealer and have the problem documented,so the only way we will get this problem fixed is if you are still having this problem with the stinky clutch BRING YOUR CAR TO THE DEALER AND HAVE IT DOCUMENTED!!!!!! This is THE ONLY WAY they will see a pattern and try to come up with a fix. We can not resolve the problem on the forums (any) and they can not go by the posts that are on the forums,we can only talk about it.So hopefully the more people that have this problem will take there car in and have it documented,this will also be on record so that after the warranty runs out and the clutch does fail they will honor that.

For the record, I have brought mine in twice and the dealer couldn't replicate it. I asked them to log with SOA and they said they did, but I doubt it since I had to remind them twice and they said 'oh yeah, we did'. Right. Any thoughts about how to confirm it has been logged?

Guest turboman
I posted in December about the stinky clutch and requested those that do list their build date and in-service date. I am firmly convinced SOA changed suppliers at some point late summer and those of us who have the problem have the newest cars

Respectfully corrected. The EARLIER built cars are the stinky ones. Later built, after Nov./Dec. do NOT have any clutch problems. There must have been a bunch of early cars that were built before the public introduction date and they were in storage until sold or dealer ordered. Some (mine) sat as long as 6 months.

Yes, but at the time I posted that message we didn't know that. People started posting build dates only recently, though I had asked previously, so my comment was based on insufficient info (early first batch cars didn't seem to have the issue and the Nov/Dec cars hadn't had sufficient time OTR to reveal the absence of the issue). Also - I haven't read through every post on the subject, as there are multiple threads. Thanks for keeping tabs on this :)

Yes, but at the time I posted that message we didn't know that. People started posting build dates only recently, though I had asked previously, so my comment was based on insufficient info (early first batch cars didn't seem to have the issue and the Nov/Dec cars hadn't had sufficient time OTR to reveal the absence of the issue). Also - I haven't read through every post on the subject, as there are multiple threads. Thanks for keeping tabs on this :)
call 1-800-782-2783 or copy and paste and fill out http://subaru.com/contact/contact/middle.jsp?track=homepage_footer

SOA stated that build date is not the cause:confused: :confused: makes me wonder

I filled out the form a month ago and was directed to my local dealer for service. :( Talk about the run-around

Not really, when viewed from Subaru's perspective. Subaru of America is the parent company, where the dealers are the children, so to speak. They are your liason with Subaru of America. Visit the dealer, make the mojo work, the dealer then says "Lordy, that ain't right," and bumps it up the chain. It's a pretty effective system, but it can sometimes take longer than people would like, which is certainly understandable.

Good luck,

Kevin

Kevin - I guess you missed the part about my multiple trips to the dealer for resolution prior to submitting that form. To be sent back to a dealer who couldn't find any issue is the run-around. Honestly? I don't care about Subaru's perspective. I didn't consider it when I bought this car over others....my perspective is what counts here. I have taken the appropriate steps to have the issue fixed and the first tier of support has failed me. I went to the second tier (SOA) and they refer me back to the first. Not good business practice with an upset consumer. NEVER refer a customer back to the place or person they are complaining about. That is Customer Service 101 - I should know, I teach it to my employees every day. I vote with my wallet. If this is the service to expect from Subaru, I can fix that quick enough.

For the record, I don't believe the dealer reported anything up to SOA, as I requested to do.....twice. :(

The ironic thing? I just received a survey in the mail today from a third party that is reviewing customer satisfaction with the purchase of a 2005 Legacy.

All right, let me weigh in with my experience with my 01 outback and SOA. This was a problem with clutch shutter (real bad) from first and second gear.

First time I took it to the dealer they put in a new clutch. Worked temporarily, then couple months later it happened again. Second time they couldn't find a problem with the car. Third time, they couldn't find a problem with the car.

Finally, I called SOA they took a report down and THATS when I found out there was a problem with all 01 models with 5spd. What was really bad was that SOA didn't even bother sending out a recall on the problem. It was in as a TSB. So if you didn't know where to look, you wouldn't have known Case in point. 2 years after I had the problem fixed I'm helping a friend move. One of his co-workers has the same car as me. I asked him if he got the shutter fixed. He looked at me with this perplexed look on his face. He was told by his dealer that there was nothing they could do to fix the problem.

After I gave him all the ammo he needed, they fixed the car no questions asked.

IN order to get my problem fixed I had to push SO hard that I wrote a letter to my dealer and SOA declaring my car a lemon and wanted my money back or a replacement. This was one month before I couldn't delare my car a lemon anymore. Somehow the parts needed for the car magically appeared at my dealer and the problem was fixed.

It's a shame all these hurdles have to be crossed to get problems fixed like this.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Archived