LegacyGT.com

Does Anyone Have A 5 Speed Without A Stinky Clutch?

Guest turboman

I submitted a complaint via the form above. They directed me to my local dealer's service manager to have them look at the car, ignoring my statement that they had already looked at it three times. The dealer was supposed to file a report with the regional SOA service guy. Does anyone really think he did? I don't

Not even one of them.

Because they have to look ( for a thing that they know about it allready:p )

and fix it (something that is not fixable :eek: - prop. could void warrenty ).

Then do the papers and files and it's to much for them:lol: :lol: :lol: .

So live with it...........

When I mension about Clutch to a service guy - he just simply said:

...... this car comes with that option an it's come as a standard-

and then he told me that I should go witha different make....

So as I said before LIVE WITH IT or wait till You warrenty end, and do it on Your Own:D

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Please fill this out, it's the least you can do to help this situation.

http://subaru.com/contact/contact/m...homepage_footer and choose Vehicle Problem.

I already did with a little ironic /sarcastic end:mad: .............. will see their answer

I sent them the info also to this site and here is there responce

Dear Mr.

Thank you for visiting the Subaru Web site and for taking the time to e-mail

us. We regret the circumstances that have prompted you to email us.

To date, there has been no recalls or campaigns issued for a clutch smell

concern for our 205 Legacy's. You may want to have an Authorized Subaru

dealer inspect your vehicle to try and resolve your concern. One thing you

may want to do is ride with them so you can duplicate the concern for them.

If you need our help or have any further questions, please feel free to

contact us at 1-800-782-2783 and refer to Case.

If anyone who still has this stink problem fill out the form on the link and then they may see that there is a problem,the more people that fill it out the more they will see the problem.

Every GT has it regardless if you smell it or not.......but it is driver induced.

I have been driving around for 500 miles testing it. I didn't smell it for my first 3,500 miles...then after read'n about it, and hear'n all the complaints, being a Quality Engineer...I had to got test :D and make it stink.....sure enough......I could reproduce it

You will only smell it when rev'n the engine and releasing the clutch in Reverse or in 1st.

I only got the smell when I was forcing the revs and then release'n the clutch a lil slower.....she flies right out of the gate...but man it stinks...I rather be off the line a lil slower...no smell...and then rip past them.

Summary:

It is a problem with every GT on the road. But it can be avoided if timing of the gas and clutch release is right.....:D

NOTE: Problems should never be avoided, they should be fixed ;)

You will only smell it when rev'n the engine and releasing the clutch in Reverse or in 1st.

I only got the smell when I was forcing the revs and then release'n the clutch a lil slower.....she flies right out of the gate...but man it stinks...I rather be off the line a lil slower...no smell...and then rip past them.

Im might be naive here but if you rev and slip any clutch it will stink. This was defiantly the case in the 3500 dumptruck Chevy I drove.

Sure. It will stink too if you drive in bumper-to-bumper traffic where a bit of clutch slip is normal and the only way to drive smoothly.

I wouldn't care if I got the smell if abusing the car was the reason for it. I do care if I am driving in downtown Washington DC taking a client to lunch and have to apologize for the clutch stink when we get stuck in traffic. Believe it or not, it happens, especially when the roads are shut down for the important people to move about the city.

I'm going to side with Scans007 on this. Had a 01 outback with the same problem. And this was even after they replaced the fly wheel and pressure plate. (This was a TSB on all 01 Subaru's; they had this horrible skipping problem out of 1st gear).

Now on my 05LGT I only get it backing up a hill. no problems in traffic, etc....

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Every GT has it regardless if you smell it or not.......but it is driver induced.

I have been driving around for 500 miles testing it. I didn't smell it for my first 3,500 miles...then after read'n about it, and hear'n all the complaints, being a Quality Engineer...I had to got test :D and make it stink.....sure enough......I could reproduce it

Summary:

It is a problem with every GT on the road. But it can be avoided if timing of the gas and clutch release is right.....:D

NOTE: Problems should never be avoided, they should be fixed ;)

I had the subaru tech go out with me and he stated my driving habits were ok reguarding the clutch,no clutch slipping,engine revs within normal range.I let him drive the car and as we backed up a hill and he let the clutch out fast he said there is no slip,and then he caught a wiff of that nasty smell and said I have to bring it in and have them look at it.This is a $30k car and the clutch should NOT STINK under normal driving conditions.Will update after service

Sure. It will stink too if you drive in bumper-to-bumper traffic where a bit of clutch slip is normal and the only way to drive smoothly.

I wouldn't care if I got the smell if abusing the car was the reason for it. I do care if I am driving in downtown Washington DC taking a client to lunch and have to apologize for the clutch stink when we get stuck in traffic. Believe it or not, it happens, especially when the roads are shut down for the important people to move about the city.

Just a side note, I drive 30 miles to work and 30 home in bumper to bumper traffic every day here in boston......I still only smell it when I described above....I didn't want to state this before cuz I was a lil foggy and couldn't remember exactly, but when I had the engine rev'n over 3300 and letting the clutch go you will get a faint smell, 3700 more, 4000 or above and you will pass out......

I totally understand about tak'n clients out...I'd be embarassed with a smell like that too com'n from such a sweet car.....like I said, my clients have never smelt it driving around in traffic while I am shifting smooth as melted butter......:D

As stated before, just cause I have to force the car to make the smell doesn't mean it shouldn't be fixed. There's def a prob here.....I've sent the emails to subaru too :p

Guest turboman

What are Subaru dealers in 'frisco doing about the pissed off 2005 Legacy turbo owners in the "City of hills"? If I lived there and had to drive and park and backup in those hills I'd likely get arrested for creating a public environmental nuisance.

Do Legacys in SF have the clutch delay valve? Is anybody there buying a 2005 GT? What do Subaru dealers in the city do when a customer wants to try out a 5 speed? I'd hate to be a Subaru salesman there.

If anyone that reads this forum drives in SF, or know anyone that does, please inform us of your experiences.

:mad: no matter what..... new cars cannot smell like that. Maybe I not an Ace but I never had a stinky problem with any man. trans in my whole drivig live.

.........And backing up -uphill, like on my parking lot, or similar situations on 1st gear should never have a place:( .

So write them , send them e-mails - keep doing that and if this not going to help than maybe start blackmail them with BAD REVIEWS about fresh ,new , legacy problem on auto websites like Edmunds.com or others:lol: .......maybe be this wake them up........

I havent driven a stick in a long time, so I lost my abilities, but the only time i smell clutch is in my new lgt is when I rev up too high in 1st gear. I'm getting better with this car (it was really touchy at first (new clutch)) and at 1000 miles have no smell other than the new car scent. mmmm.

2012 Forester XT. Stage 2+

Retired from Racing. I used to build FMIC and more.

I have 2,900 miles on my LegGT/wagon and have made numerous posts about how great this car is compared to my past BMWs. No regrets on my first Suby, BUT the clutch stink is a totally unacceptable. I have never had a MT with this type of clutch stink.

I expect my dealer and Subaru to acknowledge the problem, acknowledge that 3,000 miles is too long to wait for the problem to go away and I expect a real fix. This is an extreme problem and unacceptable in a car, at any price.

We own a new Range Rover and my oldest son has a yr 2002, BMW 325 AWD, MT, wagon and we are the target customers that Subaru claims they want to capture. I am telling all my neighbors why I love my Subaru, but the clutch stink just undermines my entire word of mouth campaign for Subaru.

On a more positive note, we just returned from a 300 mile trip to Mammoth Ski Resort in my wife’s new Range Rover. I can honestly say that my previous trip in my new LegGT/Ltd wagon was a much more fun drive and the Subaru sport seats were more comfortable for my bad back, than the Range Rovers. For my body, the Subaru seats are fantastic. Yes the Range Rover and a smooth ride and 50 more creature features to play with. Yes the Range Rover is beautiful inside, but if you enjoy a drivers car, the Subaru is my choice. It is hard to believe that the a four cylinder engine could be so smooth and quiet, when pushed. I am constantly amazed at how fast the LegGT is when passing at high speeds. With the exception of interior quality, the LegGT outperforms the BMW 325 wagon significantly and the LegGT interior is very well done.

Subaru should all over this problem to ensure that clutch stink does not place this car well below its deserved position in the market.

Guest turboman

With 2500 miles on the odo and no improvement in the stink, I am strongly tempted to do a 6000 rpm launch and deliberately burn the crap out of it.

I'd do it on a wet street so there's less drivetrain and transmission stress. Maybe that's what it will take to burn the surface coating off the clutch disc if that is where the problem is. But it could be all the way through the clutch material.

I'm wondering if there has been a recent clutch vendor change in the cars that come off the assembly line today to prevent as many replacements when they are forced to admit it.. Subaru has to know about this, but I'd bet they are ordered to not admit to any problems to avoid a lawsuit and bad publicity just before their new $40,000 flagship SUV (B9 something or other) comes out..

Guest turboman

If there are any attorney's out there.... have your secretary run copies of all the complaints on this website as evidence of an "Implied warranty" lawsuit (product does not perform to its intended purpose). If documents could be obtained (whistle blower at SOA?) that Subaru knows about it and is intentionally covering it up they would be hit with a huge judgement. I'd bet there's someone at Corporate assigned to keep track of this forum. They'd be fools if they weren't....

I sent letters to the top (3) Executives and got one form letter reply from an underling saying they had heard nothing about the problem, but their Service Division would certainly respond if there had been any complaints from their dealer network.

For every complaint in this forum there's likely a 100 owners that don't read this forum and have the same complaint that would speak up if they read something in the media about it.

Any attorneys out there? 33 percent commission on settlement! :)

I am at close to 10000kms (7k milesish?) I *still* get the stink with any hard launch or clutch slippage.

When I first got the car w/ 7k kms on it (demo), I gave it a few good 6k rpm launches. Stink still persists.

I know ppl say, Im at 2500 miles and its gone! or whatever, I figure they just havent burnt the clutch in awhile.

If anyone manages to burn that stink off the clutch for certain without needing the clutch replaced after, lemme know, please! :)

My 02 Outback really stunk during break in/learning stage, and continued to stink anytime I went off-road or uphill starts. When I traded it in with 40K for the 05 XT, the dealer wanted to knock $700 off my trade in value because they felt the "clutch was loose."

The new OB has the stink, too.

I drove a Celica for 120,000 miles on one clutch, and it still grabbed hard when I sold it.

So what gives?!

build date: 6/04

I have only had my 3.0 RB (6 speed )for a month now and have noticed the Clutch smell 3 times. Always when starting from a stop and on a slight incline, seems the clutch is slow to take up and you add some revs to avoid stalling, then that horrible smell. I too have had manual cars all my driving life and have never had this problem before. Will mention it to dealer on first service.

Otherwise I am very pleased with the car.

Build date October 2004

Guest turboman

UPDATED: There's a thread at NASOIC of maybe 20-25 '05 Legacy 5spd owners and everyone raves about how wonderful their car is. Not one mention of a clutch stink problem. How is this possible, logistically. Just doesn't make sense. I thought their was only one factory building legacys. Is there two?:confused:

Is it mainly midwest cars that have the problem? Are they all from the same factory? Is there more than one outside vendor for clutches? Maybe the build dates are the reason. Could there have been a mid-model clutch upgrade to stop the problem? Is it the earlier built cars or the later built ones that have the problem? Mine was built on 6-4-04 and I took delivery on 12-15-04. It must have been in storage for 6 months!. Early ones could be the bad ones? That means there WAS a mid-model correction!

If almost 3000 people have viewed this thread and only 94 replied in the affirmative, would that mean only 3 per cent (of the earliest built?) of the cars have the problem?

Something stinks here!!! :mad:

I posted in December about the stinky clutch and requested those that do list their build date and in-service date. I am firmly convinced SOA changed suppliers at some point late summer and those of us who have the problem have the newest cars

2800 miles now and I have definite improvement. But I still get the bad stink on the very rare occasion when I slip the clutch poorly - usually I can tell, "oh no - here comes the stink". Sometimes that's a missed shift, but other times it's just necessary, like in stop-and-go traffic or starting on hills. There is NO excuse for that smell, and the dealer will definitely get a complaint when I bring it in for it's first oil change - everybody affected needs to file an official complaint with their dealer. For the record, my LGT Sedan was built in Sept '04.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

There's a thread at NASOIC of maybe 20-25 '05 Legacy 5spd owners and everyone raves about how wonderful their car is. Not one mention of a clutch stink problem. How is this possible, logistically. Just doesn't make sense. I thought their was only one factory building legacys. Is there two?:confused:

Is it mainly midwest cars that have the problem? Are they all from the same factory? Is there more than one outside vendor for clutches? Maybe the build dates are the reason. Could there have been a mid-model clutch upgrade to stop the problem? Is it the earlier built cars or the later built ones that have the problem?

If almost 3000 people have viewed this thread and only 94 replied in the affirmative, would that mean only 3 per cent of the cars have the problem?

Something stinks here!!! :mad:

You shouldn't presume that everyone has the problem. My car has been stink-free since about 1500 miles (now about 6200 on the clock). Some of it was learning a lighter touch on the clutch (torqueless WRXes teach a different technique). I can get it to stink if I slip it a LOT, but Patagonian GT might have something about later cars. A friend also has a second allocation car (I got mine in July, '04) and he doesn't have clutch stink either.

Kevin

Guest turboman

Your car's build date is on the backside of the driver's front door printed on a white tag with some other stuff. You'll have to kneel down with a flashlight to read it.

Please go back and edit your entry and add the build date. There has to have been a mid-model clutch material change that they will not tell us about.

Lets catch them with their pants down and you'll get your new clutch you should have had in the first place.

I believe we have some ammunition now to blow them out of the water. If they don't want a scandal before their flagship SUV (B-9 or something) they had better start correcting this problem.

Love the car! Hate the stink!

I had this problem going up my driveway which is at an incline in reverse.The dealer even duplicated this smell but as of now I have 3000 miles on the car at this smell has finally gone away within the past week so all is well now:cool:
well the smell is still there.it just so happens that when i did not get the smell it was very windy outside.the dealer had a engeneir go out with the dealer and they could not duplicate the stink (it was very windy that day) calling dealer tommorrow and will try to set up an apt with the engeneir and i will drive the car this time and get it to stink.will update after apt.

Archived