LegacyGT.com

Please post here if you have or had the wheel noise

bgLGT

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thinking wrong (not unusual).

:rolleyes:

I spared you an equally gratuitous "fixor3d" shot.

Last on the list: wheel bearings. Thanks for posting it.

Good to know they're covered but I only have ~15k miles to go on my PT warranty. But what good is a "free" fix if they're only going to reinstall a defective part. The bad batch hypothesis doesn't hold up too well in light of failure complaints in 05s, 06s and 07s.

Thinking wrong (not unusual).

They are covered:

http://www.subaru.com/owners/warranty/index.jsp?year=2005

Thanks for adding the confirmation.

I checked my hardcopy in the car and it shows the same info. The wheel bearings are covered by the powertrain warranty. (thank goodness)

The bad batch hypothesis doesn't hold up too well in light of failure complaints in 05s, 06s and 07s.

Agreed.

It's possible they've been using the same defective parts throughout, however, whether it's the hub, hub seal, or bearing.

People are having the same issue return after having bearings replaced as well.

I still don't get how a bearing could be making this kind of noise but not completely failing within a few miles. I have been experiencing this noise intermittently for at least 8 months/20k miles.

Also, it doesn't make sense that this would be an intermittent noise. I would think that a bearing that is experiencing that kind of vibration (noise) in addition to it's normal load/stresses would gall or weld itself pretty quickly.

So far, all the complaints have been of the left front bearing. It's a small sample group (so far) but the trend suggests more than simple coincidence.

One guy here mentioned the right side. Search the forum and you see every wheel covered. We'll have to see how things continue.

Also, it doesn't make sense that this would be an intermittent noise. I would think that a bearing that is experiencing that kind of vibration (noise) in addition to it's normal load/stresses would gall or weld itself pretty quickly.

If it has to do with the o-ring sealing gasket on the hub, it might only happen under certain temperatures or stresses. For instance, I never hear the symptom after a cold start. The car has to be driven a bit first.

Tonight I noticed the sound is worse than ever. It's definitely gotten worse over the last week and approaching as bad as it was when I had the bearing changed last August. :(

Ok, after talking with my father, who actually took my car in today for me, the dealer said that they have been talking to SOA who acknowledged that there is a problem and that they are working on it. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Thanks for the update, Blake. Here's hoping they come up with something that they can tell the rest of the dealers.

Definitely post what they say, if you hear. I'd love to print it out and show it to my dealer's guys.

I will certainly let you all know, I hope SOA can figure it out in a reasonable time frame!

Checking in with a noise from the front left (imagine that!). I've been hearing it for more than a few months now. I took it to the dealership once already, and they promptly informed me that I was drunk, high and/or crazy. I'll take it in again next time and see what happens, but if anyone can actually get some info out of SOA about this, that'd be spectacular.

buying the '98 BD used, a few of the family test drove it and found the back right had issues. as-per the agreements to buy the car and make a trade in , they fixed it. diagnosed as a bearing, problem hasnt returned at all.

probably had 70K and change on it at the time of purchase

light, easy usage since (and logically before)

obedience to church and state is subjugation to the unjust authority of men

My 2006 LGT has this as well. Brought it to the dealer a couple weeks ago and the service manager couldn't hear the noise, don't know how he couldn't, but said if he can't here it, it isn't something to worry about. Taking it back on Saturday to get looked at again.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

My 2006 LGT has this as well. Brought it to the dealer a couple weeks ago and the service manager couldn't hear the noise, don't know how he couldn't, but said if he can't here it, it isn't something to worry about. Taking it back on Saturday to get looked at again.

Whoa there.....I wouldn't start taking that road. If you hear it, then that means the SM needs to clean the wax out of his ears. You know your car better than he does, I assume....don't let some stranger (who, quite frankly doesn't want to really "waste time" on warranty items) tell you that you're "not hearing anything".

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

Whoa there.....I wouldn't start taking that road. If you hear it, then that means the SM needs to clean the wax out of his ears. You know your car better than he does, I assume....don't let some stranger (who, quite frankly doesn't want to really "waste time" on warranty items) tell you that you're "not hearing anything".

+1, that's ridiculous, your car wasn't cheap don't ever settle for less than perfect performance.

I am not taking it. I just didn't have time for more than a ride along at that time. It is going to my normal service advisor on friday to take a look at it. He gets the job done. The SM is a good guy and has been helping me out for 4 years now, but he is getting more and more strict.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

Print out this thread and show him that you're not making it up.

It took a couple of tries before I got the guys at my dealership to really hear it. I don't know why because it was pretty loud. I rode with a master tech. and we drove back and forth next to a store's wall so he could hear it and he sure did hear it right away. That seems to be the best way to make the noise as clear as possible.

Had a noise on the driver's front. A high pitched whistling noise coming from the wheel, and increased in pitch the faster i went. Took it to the dealer, and of course they only drive it for 2 miles and say they can't hear it. Noise comes and goes every now and then.....so I bought a wheel bearing assembly to fix it myself since dealer was no help.

Of course when I buy the bearing, the noise goes away. Now after 10kmiles or so, the sound is back. Seems to arise after a spirited acceleration and remains there, but if I drive like a granny the noise doesn't come around.

Archived