LegacyGT.com

Please post here if you have or had the wheel noise

bgLGT

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For the record, mine is a 5EAT. The seal won't be the same between both trannies. Anyone with the 5MT experiencing the symptom?

Yep, I was wondering about the trans seal when I read that. Jon and I have had almost identical symptoms while my car is a 5MT.

-07 Subaru Legacy 5 speed Manual Trans

-Purchased in Nov of 2006

-Daily commute 55 miles a day on PA Turnpike Highway speed, 45 min in to work and up to an hour and 10 back.

7000 Miles:

-Front left squealing sound

7500 Miles:

-Reported problem while getting 7500 Basic Maintenance

-Dealer didn't notice sound no action

11,006 Miles:

-oil change still no action on squealing, but I was not pushing since I was in a hurry

14,000 Miles:

-oil change

-I complain again about noise

-they state: "MACHINED REAR ROTORS: PULSATION WHEN BRAKING. EXCESSIVE ROTOR RUN OUT. RESURFACED REAR BRAKE ROTORS" this was done under warranty

-they also stated: "WHEELES AND TIRES: CUSTOMER STATES DRIVERS FRONT WHEEL BEARING MAKES NOISE AFTER ABOUT 20 MIN OF DRIVING. RESURFACE FRONT BRAKE ROTORS." this was also done under warranty

-noise continues

14,831 Miles:

- complain about niose persistance

-they state :"MAINTENANCE: CUSTOMER STATES NOISE WHEN HOT FROM LEFT FRONT FRONT. TEST DRIVE CAR. FOUND NOISE FROM FRONT LEFT AXEL BEARING REPLACED NOISY LEFT FRONT AXEL BEARING" this was done under warranty

19,317:

-the noise returns I get mad I find this forum and see its a real problem everyone should document this issue as much as possible so that a recal can be performed

Did this get progressively worse for you as the mileage went-up?

Some people think it is an axle seal not the bearing. Hard to say. Though I was surprised that so many people had the same problem. All from the front left wheel/axle seal it seems.

-07 Subaru Legacy 5 speed Manual Trans

-Purchased in Nov of 2006

-Daily commute 55 miles a day on PA Turnpike Highway speed, 45 min in to work and up to an hour and 10 back.

7000 Miles:

-Front left squealing sound

7500 Miles:

-Reported problem while getting 7500 Basic Maintenance

-Dealer didn't notice sound no action

11,006 Miles:

-oil change still no action on squealing, but I was not pushing since I was in a hurry

14,000 Miles:

-oil change

-I complain again about noise

-they state: "MACHINED REAR ROTORS: PULSATION WHEN BRAKING. EXCESSIVE ROTOR RUN OUT. RESURFACED REAR BRAKE ROTORS" this was done under warranty

-they also stated: "WHEELES AND TIRES: CUSTOMER STATES DRIVERS FRONT WHEEL BEARING MAKES NOISE AFTER ABOUT 20 MIN OF DRIVING. RESURFACE FRONT BRAKE ROTORS." this was also done under warranty

-noise continues

14,831 Miles:

- complain about niose persistance

-they state :"MAINTENANCE: CUSTOMER STATES NOISE WHEN HOT FROM LEFT FRONT FRONT. TEST DRIVE CAR. FOUND NOISE FROM FRONT LEFT AXEL BEARING REPLACED NOISY LEFT FRONT AXEL BEARING" this was done under warranty

19,317:

-the noise returns I get mad I find this forum and see its a real problem everyone should document this issue as much as possible so that a recal can be performed

Thanks for your contribution. This is EXACTLY what's been going on with my car and many others' here.

Did this get progressively worse for you as the mileage went-up?

Some people think it is an axle seal not the bearing. Hard to say. Though I was surprised that so many people had the same problem. All from the front left wheel/axle seal it seems.

I don't have a good answer for this; sometimes windows are up sometimes I have music on. It’s a very tough thing to track.

If I go through another bearing I will probably try to find a quiet area mount a sound pressure level meter along with a mic and record the noise at varying speeds.

Had this not been a new car I would have taken the wheel and drive system apart on my own. I would have like to have been there when this was performed by the dealer.

My guess is if this specific bearing is common to all four wheels then:

-something about the drive system is NOT symmetric, or at least not symmetric between the two front wheels obviously there are some differences between the front and rear.

-some other mating component is different in some way or

-something is forcing this location to enduring more wear then the other three wheels.

If replacing the bearing quiets the noise then it was the bearing. The question is what about the mechanics of the front left wheel force this bearing to endure some condition the other three do not whether it’s a matter of alignment or torque or whatever.

I’m going to be writing a letter to Joe Spitz he runs this site: http://www.cars101.com/ it has a lot of great info on the Subaru’s see if he can help.

Makes sense...I first started noticed that squealing sound like something was scraping at about 5K miles. Seems highly unusual for such a new car, less than 1 year out of the factory to have this issue.

I only have 2500 miles on the car, and I don't have the problem yet. Should I assume that it is coming based on what I've been reading? It seems close to 100% of the cars on here are having the problem by a certain point. Is there anyone on here with like 50K+ mileage that has NOT had this problem?

If replacing the bearing quiets the noise then it was the bearing. The question is what about the mechanics of the front left wheel force this bearing to endure some condition the other three do not whether it’s a matter of alignment or torque or whatever.

Exactly.

I’m going to be writing a letter to Joe Spitz he runs this site: http://www.cars101.com/ it has a lot of great info on the Subaru’s see if he can help.

Please post any response you receive here. Thanks!

I have experienced this exact problem on a 2006 Outback 2.5i. The wheel squeak emanates from the left front wheel.

I noticed it soon after purchasing the car (used at 10,000 miles). Now at about 15,000 miles and the noise is still there, if not louder, or at least more noticeable to my ears.

2006 2.5i 5spd

In my wheel problem experience about a year ago, I heard more of a high-pitch whine. It was intermittent, but when I did hear it, it was a sustained high-pitch whine. The pitch seemed to increase with speed, and occured regardless of what gear I was in, etc... Driving on a road between two cliffs, walls, or in a tunnel magnified the noise and made it far more audible. (I know that might sound logical or obvious but it increased the volume of the whine moreso than other sounds from the car).

I searched around here and narrowed it down to a wheel bearing problem.

I went to the dealer and told them I wanted a tech to drive my car because I thought I had a bad wheel bearing. Though I really didn't know what the hell it was, the tech confirmed that there was an unusual noise. The rear driver's side wheel bearing was replaced under warranty that day.

Then they flagged my account for having swaybars. (Must have seen that I had cut a small piece from the exhaust shielding to fit the non-adj Cusco 23mm F sway). There have been no wheel-related noises since.

2007 LSE

front left wheel

Started around 11k

#1 diagnosed by dealer (11/14/07) - complaint not duplicated visual check all ok.

#2 diagnosed by dealer (11/29/07) - Removed Axel and lubed axel seals

#3 diagnosed by dealer (12/05/07) - Found sway bar bushings dry, removed and lubed. What the sway bar has anything to do with a noise that varies with wheel speed and is apparently related to the drive line i'm not sure.

#4 diagnosed by dealer (11/14/07) - complaint not duplicated - supposedly the tech drove it for to a quiet neighborhood but the odometer (tripometer) only changed by .2 miles.

#5 test drove with service manager - did a minor noise- he stated that it was "normal"

I have the SOA rep looking at it tomorrow (1/16/08).

Thanks to everyone for chiming in .... I printed the pages and intend to try and get somewhere with the rep hopefully.

^ Someone claimed the bearings were outsourced from a US co.

And where do you think those bearing components were really made?? While the hub may be assembled in the US, it is highly unlikely that the components were manufactured in the US.

Also, don't bet your paycheck that US made parts are better than off shore parts or visa-versa. You can get crap from anywhere in the world if, a) poor/improper part design or b) no quality control to ensure parts meet specifications. I see this on a daily basis as I work in manufacturing, it really doesn't matter where the part is made.

As to the fella that is hypothesizing about the left-hand vs right-hand bearing issue, I think he needs to go back to the bar for another belt. If the bearing is designed for both sides, there isn't an orientation to its rotation. :spin:

Enough off-topic banter, back to our regularly scheduled topic of wheel bearings.

05 LGT, when i am turning right, a get a noise. similar to what i'm hearing here. Wifey thought it was something to do with ice (below zero all weekend), but i think i know what the problem is. I will be giving the dealer a call tomorrow.

Has anyone here been rejected due to aftermarket brake parts (i have hawk pads and slotted rotors).

• 2 weeks later...
With all these complaints with the left front bearing, doesnt SOA have the **lls to face this issue with a recall?

I hope they do. But I have a feeling that it's going to take a few crashed and burned before they do anything.

I gave up after leaving my car at the dealer for two days with the LF wheel bearing noise.

The problem is they pay most attention to defects that cause accidents. :(

Do they need to wait that long for something like that to happen? Let's not wait for that unfortunate incidence. A preemptive strike sounds right to me.

Archived