LegacyGT.com

Please post here if you have or had the wheel noise

bgLGT

What's your next course of action Jon?

I'm still waiting for it to get more consistent and worse. I don't want to bring my car to the dealer for another 5 days and a weekend just to have them hand it back to me after doing nothing. I don't think they even believe that the bearing has gone bad again or that the hub might be bad.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update: Got the car back, and they replaced 2 bearings in the transmission. Unfortunately, that wasn't the problem. Maybe it was another issue i never noticed, but the techs said when the car was on the lift and they were stethoscoping for the noise they heard a noise from the tranny.

Gotta bring it back tomorrow morn and see if they'll take a really good look at the wheel bearing/hub this time around. The noise is intermittent, and appears to be very temperature dependent. It only comes about after the hub/rotor assembly gets hot enough, ie. stop-n-go traffic and hard on the brakes.

Gotta bring it back tomorrow morn and see if they'll take a really good look at the wheel bearing/hub this time around. The noise is intermittent, and appears to be very temperature dependent. It only comes about after the hub/rotor assembly gets hot enough, ie. stop-n-go traffic and hard on the brakes.

Yep. That sounds exactly like what we're experiencing.

2006 Legacy currently 24K miles

so I've been experiencing this "grinding" & "squealing" noise in the (what appears to my novice senses) front wheels of the car...

when I apply my brakes, as I'm slowing down almost to a complete stop, I get a "grinding" sensation in my feet (at the pedals) and the car makes a "bbbbrrrrooooommmmmm" noise, then when I come to a complete stop it flattens out....as I'm letting up from the brake to switch to the gas pedal the "squealing" begins and the "bbbbroooom" noise starts, then stops while the "squealing" takes over fully....

I just got back from the dealer (my 2nd time, the 1st time they made me pay $30 for a brake inspection that was NOT covered by Subaru warranty, which they found nothing wrong and were unable to 'recreate' the problem).....

This incident the dealer did not charge me for inspection, but they did "resurface both front rotors and deglazed pads".......

HOWEVER, I can still hear a "squealing" noise as I'm driving, but I do not feel the "grinding" at the moment.

I think if the squeal continues, I'll have to take it back to the dealer and request that they check the wheel bearings....

This thread has helped me diagnose what the dealer has seemingly been unable to.

A few requests however, can you post the number to SOA so that I can make a phone call also, and write a letter explaining my complaint.

The power of a letter is tremendous.

Also, while I was taking my car to the dealer this afternoon, there was another Subaru owner there complaining about something quite similar to me.

He was saying he heard a "thu-dump" when he turns right or left....I saw him take a mechanic for a spin, then on his return, he dropped the mechanic off and sped away....wish I'd had a chance to talk to him.

please keep us updated,

d

Its raining today in Cali so I couldnt really listen for the squeal...however currently the grinding noise seems to be gone....

If my squeal comes back I will take it into the dealer requesting a check on the wheel bearings and demanding a replacement.

Lemme know how it goes Jayspec after you get your ride back.

D

L/F whell bearing replaced @approx 19,000 miles.

1st visit =NPF

2nd visit=Lubed caliper ...did not fix,same visit SOP L/F wheel bearing after being told it was pad squeal.

Approx 23,000 now and hearing noise that is possible bearing as well.It's sounds more typical of a bearing a low,bass-like metallic rumble heard.IT'S NOT TIRE CUPPING!I guess it has to have a total failure for them to replace.

Anyone know if it is a improved part or the same old failure prone stock?

'05 LGT w/45k miles

I noticed what seemed to be brake squeal from left front about 5k miles ago. had rear left replaced about 10k ago. I've been running ION springs since about 15k.

Tonight, with a few short runs between stores, we've gone from slight brake squeal to strangled pig at < 2mph.

Should I even drive the 10 miles to the dealer or have it towed?

The noise is slowly getting more consistent and louder as the mileage racks up. I'm trying to drive the car a bit more, since my commute is very short everyday.

If it continues to become more consistent, I'll be taking it back to the dealer within the next month, I'm sure.

I'm absolutely positive it's the left-front wheel again. It's been only 2k miles since I had that bearing replaced.

I get intermittent noise that also seems to be from the left side wheels. Have not been able to determine front or back yet.

The noise also does not seem to be related to using the brakes, so maybe it is the bearing.

It is not often enough for me to take into the dealer but definitely got my attention and had me wondering.

Gets any worse and I'll have it checked out.

Add: only have 6K miles on my wagon and started noticing the noise a couple months ago.

fwiw: after several trips to the dealer: wheel bearings, hubs, rotors, brake pads, ect they finally discovered the problem. Check your left side axle seal on the tranny. They replaced that and problem went away....25k later still no noise.

Did you definitely have the same problem that everybody else is referring to? If so, that would be great if that solves the problem.

I don't have this issue - 'yet', but have been following along. Maybe someone with this problem should give this a shot!

Archived