LegacyGT.com

Please post here if you have or had the wheel noise

bgLGT

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Print out this thread and show him that you're not making it up.

It took a couple of tries before I got the guys at my dealership to really hear it. I don't know why because it was pretty loud. I rode with a master tech. and we drove back and forth next to a store's wall so he could hear it and he sure did hear it right away. That seems to be the best way to make the noise as clear as possible.

This is exactly what I did last time, and my tech didn't hear it. I'm going to try it again on my lunch break today. Who knows.

It's encouraging to know that even after installing a new wheel bearing, the noise just takes a break for a few months. :(

Ok, after talking with my father, who actually took my car in today for me, the dealer said that they have been talking to SOA who acknowledged that there is a problem and that they are working on it. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Okay, the service manager drove my car and noticed the sound on multiple instances. It's on its third bearing now. There was some confusion about what I though I had heard and promptly posted above. Here's the facts:

1) the dealer has filled out paperwork to SOA regarding my second replacement.

2) SOA has been notified directly by the dealer about multiple repairs to other cars, as well as my own, which has now been repaired twice.

3) SOA HAS NOT admitted to a problem with the wheel bearings, this point was confused and I miss-stated this in the update post. I am sorry for the disappointment, my own included!

4) Dealer would like to know what's going on.

I'm really getting irritated with the car. On an interesting note, I talked to the service manager about the bearing. It appears to be US sourced, manufactured by NTN USA.

Before I get desperate and take legal action, assuming that the next bearing exhibits the problem, I may try this:

1) Timken now makes a replacement part! HA590118 as listed on their site. Timken has always been the king of quality bearings for me; the only bearings I trust in my Jeep.

2) Import a JDM bearing. Probably costly.

With as much time and effort this has cost me, I WILL nip this thing in the ass! If you're in my area, I highly recommend Austin Subaru. Great service and very competent staff!

'07 Legacy GT. I took mine in because of the "squealing" at low speeds and the mechanics had no trouble finding the problem. They ordered a new hub and expect that to fix the problem but I have not had time to get the work completed.

Unfortunately, even though I heard the squealing months ago, I put visiting the dealership off till fall. So now I can look forward to driving around with my windows down in the cold to make sure the squealing has gone away.

Alright, my car decided to cooperate and squeal for the dealership. They don't think it's the dealership at all, but some sort of seal in the axle. He wasn't specific, but he may have meant the hub seal, so I'll see what happens after I go on Monday. Will keep things posted.

I had an 05 Impreza RS that had a developed a hum less than 10K. Long story short, they diagnosed the problem to be gear hum from the rear differential (I heard it with my own ears). I went on a test drive in an 06 Impreza and heard the exact same hum at the exact same speed range. I traded because I was not a happy camper with the whole ordeal. I now have an 07 limited and it has developed the hum that my Impreza did. There is no grinding noise or vibration, but I went to the dealer so the issue could be documented. Then I started reading the threads on the bearing issues. I'm fairly certain my hum is not bearing releated because it appears at 52-54mph and 74-75mph...higher pitch at higher speed. Once I get the tech to confirm the noise, I'll have them put it up on the lift for a listen.

I am sitting at the dealer as I write this, and yes it is here for the same noise. It's a high-pitched constant squeal that increases or decreases with speed. Seems to be left front, but hard to tell. Noticeable at ~30mph. I also have a second noise that sounds like a groan at very slow speeds- i.e. crawling along in traffic. Kind of like that Master P song. uuuhhhhh.

Of course on two previous occasions they couldn't "hear" it. This time it was way louder and I came 'squealing into the dealer's service bay. They heard it this time.

I'd also like to post that I am glad the previous service advisor is gone. She was clueless and very unhelpful. I am hoping this will be a start of better experiences here. My first experience was the nearly 2-hr "30-min" oil change.

UPDATE 11:50am: Dealer finally diagnosed it as a bad left front wheel bearing. Now where have I heard this before...hmmmm? Even better, a service rep came in to tell another member of the board they hit his car by accident. Gotta love this place. I feel bad for the guy. They'd have to restrain me if it was mine.

Got mine back and taking it to the service adviser that I normally use was able to hear it this time. They replaced the wheel barring and all should be good :D.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

I also have a second noise that sounds like a groan at very slow speeds- i.e. crawling along in traffic. Kind of like that Master P song. uuuhhhhh.

Yeah!! I have that groan as well. It sounds like I ran over an animal!!

One of the tech's at the shop had a hypothsis, Since the left and right bearing's are the same part number, they might be made for the right hand side and since it is always the left front, they were made in one direction, which on the left side would be backwards. But currently that is only his hypothsis at this point. They have been trying to get something, anything out of SOA on the left front wheel bearing.

Subaru Ambassador PNW

***please check this out and try it***

I hate to introduce more ideas into this thread but my 06 was making the squeeling noise off and on and I finally pulled it into RK Subaru of Va Beach while it was on one of its tangents. They put the car on the lift with a tech in the drivers seat and had all 4 wheels spinning freely. They had 3 techs working this with their stethescopes (sp?) checking parts around the wheels. They ended up grabbing their high pressure air line and blowing some PSI around the brakes and finally under the hub behind the rotor, one tech said "Oh there it goes and some debris blew out and the noise stopped instantly and never came back. Doesn't sound like it should be the fix for an erratic squeeling/groaning but it did. Unfortunately, my 08 did the same thing with, of course the same front left wheel about 2 weeks ago but that was on one occurance only. WTF? C'mon Subaru figure this out and send out a TSB or recall.

Yeah!! I have that groan as well. It sounds like I ran over an animal!!

Yeah I thought I had a dead animal in the engine or something.

At least initially it seems to be gone now that the bearing was replaced. I'll know for certain when I go sit in traffic tomorrow.

Someone here pointed out that Timken makes a direct replacement. If mine goes out again, I'll consider buying the Timken unit and having it installed instead.

http://timken.com/industries/automotive/autoaftermarket/timkencatalog/PartCatalog.aspx

HA590118

Regarding replacing the bearings with Timken or another aftermarket manufacturer: I refuse to spend money on fixing a problem with defective Subuaru parts, especially with a car that's well within the powertrain warranty.

I don't know 100% if the noise is coming from the same front-left wheel area (again), but I'm pretty sure it is. I've just heard it again yesterday and it's pretty upsetting. I'm still waiting for it to get worse before spending my time at the dealer and having to drive one of their cars again.

I really urge you guys to hold off on aftermarket parts, especially if your cars are within the warranty period. We need Subaru to tackle this issue.

In any case, if the problem is further out from the bearing and with the hub seals, even an aftermarket bearing will go bad. :(

Blake- If you're mulling legal action, please keep in touch with me. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

Regarding replacing the bearings with Timken or another aftermarket manufacturer: I refuse to spend money on fixing a problem with defective Subuaru parts, especially with a car that's well within the powertrain warranty.

I don't know 100% if the noise is coming from the same front-left wheel area (again), but I'm pretty sure it is. I've just heard it again yesterday and it's pretty upsetting. I'm still waiting for it to get worse before spending my time at the dealer and having to drive one of their cars again.

I really urge you guys to hold off on aftermarket parts, especially if your cars are within the warranty period. We need Subaru to tackle this issue.

In any case, if the problem is further out from the bearing and with the hub seals, even an aftermarket bearing will go bad. :(

Blake- If you're mulling legal action, please keep in touch with me. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

I agree, the only way an aftermarket bearing goes in there is if Subaru decides to put one in out of desperation. Our front bearings are one big piece that bolts into the upright. The bearing, race, and seal are all one big, non-serviceable hub assembly. :icon_frow So far the noise hasn't come back for me. However, you bet I'm still muling over legal action if this problem persists. I'll be calling SOA tomorrow too. I'll be sure to keep you in the loop Jon. In all honesty I'm pretty confident the noise will be back. My clutch is starting to make noise on cold start now too.:spin: A Pontiac G8 GT is sounding pretty good to me right now...

Even if the car's not under warranty at the point a replacement/fix gets made, if you go in for the problem during your warranty period and it's still having the same problem, many dealers will grandfather you in for a fix. I know my dealership will do that; they've told me that if I ever have any more injector issues they'll replace them no matter what the mileage is, and they told me that even if the wheel bearing wasn't powertrain, they'd replace it since I've been bitching about this for a few months now. Going to the dealer at noon for the seals, etc. Hopefully something will get fixed. Not holding my breath, though. I'll ask them to contact SOA, though; they were one of the dealers that pressed SOA for the oil-change interval TSB, so I know they can get things done if they see a problem.

....and I'm back. They're replacing the wheel bearing as soon as they can get a new one from SOA (who is closed all week). Basically, nothing new to report. I've got a feeling, just based on the number of people in here who've reported this and the number of bearings my dealer has replaced, that SOA knows about the problem; they just don't know what the hell to do with it.

....and I'm back. They're replacing the wheel bearing as soon as they can get a new one from SOA (who is closed all week). Basically, nothing new to report. I've got a feeling, just based on the number of people in here who've reported this and the number of bearings my dealer has replaced, that SOA knows about the problem; they just don't know what the hell to do with it.

That or they are working with thier vendor to fix the issue and they are not being timely about it, which I am thinking is the issue, but that just might be me. My dealier has replaced tons of them as well and has been working with their SOA reps for the same thing. Hopefully more dealiers will start working on these to get some type of response.

Subaru Ambassador PNW

Archived