LegacyGT.com

Please post here if you have or had the wheel noise

bgLGT

Just to weigh in. I recently had to replace all four wheel bearings on a Outback with less than 65 thousand miles. Couldn't do the work myself because the hubs were so fused to the bearings.

I have to take it back to fix the error SS now too. Probably needs at least a sensor.

My first Outback and fourth Subaru. Probably shop other brands after this experience.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Correction, the hub was rusted to the control arm. A slide hammer works well.

I just replaced the left rear at 152,700 miles for the first time and had the left front replaced in Jan 11.

I know I hit a large pot a few years back on the highway with the left side.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 5 months later...

Is this how your guys wheels sound? Just started a few weeks ago. Low speeds it's pretty noticeable - seems to squeek more when it's warm. Today after work I jacked it up slightly and spun it. (check out vid) Seems to go away at high speeds but it could just be drowned out by other noise. Any thoughts?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q84Rtood7xM&feature=g-upl]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q84Rtood7xM&feature=g-upl[/ame]

VBG1 gauges available at www.gtboostgauge.com

• 1 month later...
Just did my front pass bearing and WOW did it make a difference. NOW that its much quieter I am hearing a grinding sound in the rear pass. Not to mention I just also replaced my sparky's and my CEL is back on with a rough idle that wont go away... when it rains it... well you all know!

Just did my front pass bearing and WOW did it make a difference. NOW that its much quieter I am hearing a grinding sound in the rear pass. Not to mention I just also replaced my sparky's and my CEL is back on with a rough idle that wont go away... when it rains it... well you all know!

Is yours a 05 ?

Could be the o-rings between the intake manifold and TGV's. for the rough idle, if it happens when it's cold and damp.

Does the car run fine when its warmed up fully ? Mine began to stall after it was warmed up too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 1 month later...
My 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 Limited had all wheel bearings replaced for same reasons. Humming when driving. It is a factory recall and covered up to 100,000 miles. I squeaked in at 99,500 2 years ago and had them covered. Of course I did not know this at the time and already had $300 into replacing one of them. I found this info online and went to the dealer and told them. They were not aware so they say LOL. They covered the remaining 3.

• 1 year later...

Been hearing my Rear Driver side wheel humm (started as front driver side, rotated tires then) for some time now, maybe 6 months.

Its been ice cold out, stupid Vortex. Finally got it looked at by a friend. Bad wheel bearing. I'm at 130k now. I wonder if Subaru will help me out hah.

If not, my friend said we can tackle a replacement in a day, only cost about $100-200 for the part, throw him $50 for labor.

I suppose 7 years - 130k ain't bad for a wheel bearing. Esp. if you all had issues at 30k.

2004 Legacy Wagon appx 165,000mi

After driving for about five to ten minutes I get a (and bear with me here) weet, weet, weet, weet, that develops into a full on squeal coming (I think) from the drivers side front.

If I go straight it continues

If I turn to the right it continues

If I turn to the left it stops

If I hit the brakes or drive with any amount of pressure on them it stops.

Front rotors and pads today

Aligned about 6,000 ago

Rear rotors and pads about 10,000 ago

Front passanger shaft and about 10,000-15,000 ago

Front drivers shaft about 20,000-25,000 ago

Front drivers wheel bearing?

Thanks.

Archived