LegacyGT.com

Cool Article about the 05 SCCA wagons floating around still.. :)

the mantra "stay stock, stay happy" was never meant to apply to racecars. However, if sponsor is paying, do it.

The main reason is speed to get back in the races. PIR and Spokane are coming up soon. No time to mess around with building a forged motor. Blowing the forged motor in the Spec B, and the spare forged long block having a cracked cylinder threw off my plans to have a forged internals race motor ready to go under just these circumstances. A race car forged motor build may come next winter.

I may be back in the game as soon as next weekend by going with the OEM EJ257 I had already picked up for the Spec B.

Edited by Sgt.Gator

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

Subaru of Bend pulled the oil pan off and this is what greeted us:

2gEW5jQYF6qhyiwhtalWPLKfLxVPx52e9xuSqsAkCUc=w1615-h908-no

The Moroso oil pickup did a good job surviving the mayhem. The Cosworth scraper/baffle got a big dent in it from the #4 broken connecting rod hammering on it.

oLHuVli7aMvLmTbA2EjVW60VdTjyNuWlGuWP__GXxY8=w1615-h908-no

4Sm6G-XyjBg5Soy0g6pUSfpjGL2L48g-jQCfxnE9YQc=w1615-h908-no

Can you believe this motor would still start and run!!

Mr. Tris, do you think I need a new shortblock?

The heads and cams look good. So we are putting it all back together on an OEM EJ257 shortblock. Hopefully Cobb Surgeline can fit me in late next week for a tune before the races at PIR next weekend.

And if you haven't been following my build thread on the Spec B, it spun the #4 connecting rod bearing: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/built-spec-b-rebuild-3rd-time-239147p4.html

Edited by Sgt.Gator

Subaru of Bend pulled the oil pan off and this is what greeted us:

2gEW5jQYF6qhyiwhtalWPLKfLxVPx52e9xuSqsAkCUc=w1615-h908-no

The Moroso oil pickup did a good job surviving the mayhem. The Cosworth scraper/baffle got a big dent in it from the #4 broken connecting rod hammering on it.

oLHuVli7aMvLmTbA2EjVW60VdTjyNuWlGuWP__GXxY8=w1615-h908-no

4Sm6G-XyjBg5Soy0g6pUSfpjGL2L48g-jQCfxnE9YQc=w1615-h908-no

Can you believe this motor would still start and run!!

Mr. Tris, do you think I need a new shortblock?

The heads and cams look good. So we are putting it all back together on an OEM EJ257 shortblock. Hopefully Cobb Surgeline can fit me in late next week for a tune before the races at PIR next weekend.

And if you haven't been following my build thread on the Spec B, it spun the #4 connecting rod bearing: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/built-spec-b-rebuild-3rd-time-239147p4.html

Wow! No I can't.

Progress!

a94oyR9NkaWwxMsnpeZspNQb5xxyn3FqRkasfr4vTW0=w1691-h951-no

The plan:

Get the Silver Eagle fired up Thursday. Take it to Portland Int'l Raceway Friday AM and start the break in process at the Test & Tune session.

1st Session, Waste-gate boost only. No full WOT.

Change Oil + Filter

Send datalogs to Cobb Surgeline. They will review for problems.

2nd session, if all clear on the data go back out with small boost and varied throttle.

Send datalogs to Cobb Surgeline. They will review logs.

3rd+ Rinse and Repeat until end of day at full race boost and wot.

Change oil.

Race Saturday and Sunday!

Big Thanks to Cobb Surgeline for stepping up to make this possible! And many more thanks to Subaru of Bend!!

Progress!

a94oyR9NkaWwxMsnpeZspNQb5xxyn3FqRkasfr4vTW0=w1691-h951-no

The plan:

Get the Silver Eagle fired up Thursday. Take it to Portland Int'l Raceway Friday AM and start the break in process at the Test & Tune session.

1st Session, Waste-gate boost only. No full WOT.

Change Oil + Filter

Send datalogs to Cobb Surgeline. They will review for problems.

2nd session, if all clear on the data go back out with small boost and varied throttle.

Send datalogs to Cobb Surgeline. They will review logs.

3rd+ Rinse and Repeat until end of day at full race boost and wot.

Change oil.

Race Saturday and Sunday!

Big Thanks to Cobb Surgeline for stepping up to make this possible! And many more thanks to Subaru of Bend!!

Looks like you swapped to top feeds... just curious - did you use top feed TGV deletes, or go with a conversion kit like ID sells?

I helped a friend do the TGV swap to go top feed, and that came out really clean, but the ID conversion seems a lot easier.

Looks like you swapped to top feeds... just curious - did you use top feed TGV deletes, or go with a conversion kit like ID sells?

I helped a friend do the TGV swap to go top feed, and that came out really clean, but the ID conversion seems a lot easier.

Top feed composite TGV deletes.

The car is up and running!

We are headed to Portland International early AM for a full Test & Tune day, then racing this weekend.

Subaru of Bend, and the tech there, Chris, did a nice job getting it all together in time to make the test & tune.

First Start short video:

https://goo.gl/photos/dyGe6bmgLGwzafW88

Edited by Sgt.Gator

That was fast!

Yep, Too Fast.

The only testing we could do at the shop was idle and a bit of easy no load throttle, but it was running smooth.

I got to PIR and again everything was smooth. It idled up to temp, I drove down to the starting grid nice and easy. Shut down for several minutes, restarted perfectly and headed on to the track. I didn't even get to the end of the pit blend line on to the track and it started missing. It would miss, then suddenly catch and run with good power for a few seconds, but when I shifted to a another gear it would stumble and almost die. I limped around the track and back into the pits. The car died and had to be pushed to my paddock space.

6 hours of trying to figure out if a vacuum hose had come undone or was swapped, electrical connections all plugged in ensued. Subaru of Bend and Cobb helped a lot by phone/text, but at 3:00 PM I gave up and headed home.

The final symptoms: Fuel Pressure is fine. NO CELS, NO CODES, which is incredible since the engine barely runs. I can start the engine if I give it 80% throttle and keep it running at 50%. But if I apply the slightest load like to try to move the car it dies. And it's now blowing large blue smoke clouds. It didn't do that on the 1 track lap, but it does now. Just a tiny bit of oil in the intake.

I really don't understand how it could not be throwing a code, I've checked multiple times with my Cobb AP.

So back into the Subaru of Bend shop this AM.

One of the problems with a race car is you can't do some work and then go for a 2 mile check out ride to see if it's ok. And if you don't have a dyno in the shop there is no way to stress test it until you get to the track. I half expected issues, which is why I knew I had to make the Test&Tune day so as to avoid showing up for a race and paying for one lap. A lot cheaper to pay for a test&tune day, although that still cost me $195 plus $100 in tow diesel.

More to come when we get it in the shop this morning.

The Silver Eagle is fixed! Chris said he woke up this morning and jumped out of bed knowing what was wrong. Loose Lower FMIC hose. He was right, in the rush we didn't tighten it and it popped loose. Of course that was the one connection I didn't check at the track!

I still can't believe it didn't cause a Code, that would have made the diagnostic process a lot easier.

We took the time to tie up some other loose ends now that the rush to the track was not on.

I'm really glad it's not the new shortblock!

Next up, Test & Tune at Spokane Raceway to break in the engine, then a long weekend of races. To lure drivers to Spokane they throw in a lot of extra racing for not much cost.

There is a small possibility I may have the dry sump on by then too.

Are you keeping an eye on your fuel trims with your AP? I am pretty sure some fuel trims would have been out of whack (pegged to - or + 15%) with that loose fmic hose. Anyways, glad it was such a simple issue.

The Silver Eagle is fixed! Chris said he woke up this morning and jumped out of bed knowing what was wrong. Loose Lower FMIC hose. He was right, in the rush we didn't tighten it and it popped loose. Of course that was the one connection I didn't check at the track!

I still can't believe it didn't cause a Code, that would have made the diagnostic process a lot easier.

We took the time to tie up some other loose ends now that the rush to the track was not on.

I'm really glad it's not the new shortblock!

Next up, Test & Tune at Spokane Raceway to break in the engine, then a long weekend of races. To lure drivers to Spokane they throw in a lot of extra racing for not much cost.

There is a small possibility I may have the dry sump on by then too.

No track days before then? turn2lapping.com has june dates at the ridge. Would give you a shakedown with less stress