LegacyGT.com

At what point did your car stop being a "sleeper"

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

last time i ran it with crap tires, grinding trans and a dead egr

15.8 in gainsville fl......on a 3.90 rear gear, i have a 4.30 sitting in the garadge

hp dunno......stock only 117hp and 145 tq.....its modded so hell if i know, im building the damn thing for the turns

i never said it was a sleeper, i was sayng that its funny how no one challenges me in the lgt, but every single time i go anywhere in either of the yotas people tent to want to play, i usally dont waste my gas, ive had to many people hit me in this city to be racing on streets

meanwhile i keep talking about my legacy more in each post, i mention a few things about my other car i get bashed, others have said things about theres and caught no flack, oh well, i love my lgt and my other 2 cars too

ha ha. i hate driving in SeaTac. that's why i don't live there. ;) but PDX is probably just as bad imo.

You can be honest PDX is worse......god I hate driving here sometimes.

I have to say though my car stopped beeing a sleeper the day I had the turbo back exhaust installed. Hard to hide the fact you have power when everybody can hear it.

crying has NEVER gotten me out of a ticket. however, staring blankly and uttering "huh? sorry, sir, what did i do wrong?" has. Every time i've been pulled over in the LGT, the cop is usually surprised to see ME behind the wheel. I think they expect some young punk or Asian guy... well, they got the Asian part right, but i'm not a punk and usually dressed relatively nicely, both hands on the wheel, etc.

in fact my last ticket (and very very well deserved) was driving up to Denali last year for a meet. we were caravanning with 2 other cars, driving well over the speed limit (like 120+) and passing people on double yellows. i was the first to be pulled over since i was the last. my car sticks out like a sore thumb: "CLEARWIRE" in giant 75" decals on the sides and my number in reflective white vinyl on the rear. what was i gonna do? Hide??? so he could call me and tell me to pull over? :lol: so i pull over, and this guy is just FUMING mad, he walks up and sees me and his jaw literally drops. it takes him a moment to compose himself in which i endured a good 15 minute lecture. he didn't give me a speeding ticket, but did give me one for illegal passing. i'm sure if it had been my husband driving, he'd have dragged him out of the driver's seat and beat him. he wasn't rude or impolite, but very to the point (which i can understand why). i really consider that incident my wake up call. we could have caused an accident and someone could have been hurt or killed because we were just being stupid and driving fast, "showing off" that our cars were faster than the minivan and motorhomes we were whizzing by. as i said earlier, now i drive MAYBE 5 over the limit and just save it for the track. of course track season is now over so i have just found a new outlet to get that anxiety out: dodgeball! which is a 20 week league to get me through winter :D

Wow! I know for sure that if I had been pulled over for doing 120mph and repeatedly passing over a double yellow, I'd be posting the story after spending the night in jail. Cops definitely seem much more likely to give the ladies a break. I will say that the last 2 times that I've been pulled over, I've been let off *knock on wood*, but I was only going 10mph above the posted limit. I guess it helps that I no longer qualify as a young punk ;).

I have bee lucky so far, but I seem to be able to get away with murder.

"Outbacks don't speed, the soccer mom is just late picking up her kid!!!"

+1! Our champagne gold Outbacks can pretty much get away with just about anything. It's about as anonymous a car as you'll see. Of course your modded XT gets up to speed juuuuuust a little faster than my 4EAT 2.5i ;)

I have posted this before, but I deliberately took off the 'Subaru' and '2.5GT' rear emblems.

All that is left is 'Legacy'. I'm hoping that 98% of the road-going population just think its another station wagon, and the other 2% who may know something about Subarus just come up behind it in traffic and think it's a regular Legacy (no turbo). That is my intention anyway.

I drool over rims daily, but once they get slapped on, the sleeper status goes waaaaaay down.

i dont see how changing the wheels really alters the sleeper status at all of your car unless you swap to forged lightweight race wheels like enkei tarmac's or a rays light racing wheel. Even then next to no one is going to notice anything but the wheels themselves.

Every man and his dog over here pretty much has aftermarket wheels on their car.

its like saying an audi a4 becomes a race car with new wheels.

In my personal opinion i think it stops once you make a modification that really makes noise or shows an obvious performance tilt you loose that family shopping trolley disguise that our cars have.

Front mounts, external gates that atmo vent, exhausts that are extraordinarly loud.

i mean you can lower your car to 100mm of ground clearance here and it looks great but it doesnt really make anyone pay more attention to it and think its quick.

i dont see how changing the wheels really alters the sleeper status at all of your car unless you swap to forged lightweight race wheels like enkei tarmac's or a rays light racing wheel. Even then next to no one is going to notice anything but the wheels themselves.

Every man and his dog over here pretty much has aftermarket wheels on their car.

its like saying an audi a4 becomes a race car with new wheels.

In my personal opinion i think it stops once you make a modification that really makes noise or shows an obvious performance tilt you loose that family shopping trolley disguise that our cars have.

Front mounts, external gates that atmo vent, exhausts that are extraordinarly loud.

i mean you can lower your car to 100mm of ground clearance here and it looks great but it doesnt really make anyone pay more attention to it and think its quick.

this is quite true. most people see the Legacy as a an older person's car.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

it really isnt anymore. Its loud, fast, and makes all types of interesting noises. Also has bright blue HID's. But most people look twice like what the hell is that. Kinda cool :).
06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

Most non Subaru people don't know the difference between a '92 Legacy LS and a Legacy SS, the almost nonexistant hood scoop usually doesn't warrant a second look to see if there is something hiding under it besides a metal block-off plate. The noticable rumble of the ej22t through the flowmaster does; however, usually get a second look. :cool:

Jeff

"try to be inconspicuous, conspicuous objects draw enemy fire...and speeding tickets"

Archived