LegacyGT.com

2009 Subaru Legacy rumor thread

godwhomismike

Guest heightsgtltd
there's an article on wagons in the NYtimes auto section today. It's in a large part about the new Volvo wagon, but also makes the case that many auto companies have discontinued their wagon models in favor of SUVs

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

My Subaru wish list:

1. Slightly larger chassis (to better differentiate from the Imprezza and compete against the Accord/Camry/CTS in passenger room)

2. More power -

GT - Turbo 2.5l 300hp/300tq

STI - Turbo 3.5l 375hp/375tq

3. Transmission options

6spd manual standard

6spd EAT

6spd DSG

4. Navigation on all models standard regardless of transmission

5. Bluetooth standard

6. Audio system options including MacIntosh comparable system with real subwoofer instead of under seat model.

7. 18x8 standard wheels with 18x8.5 light weight forged optional

8. Bigger better brakes all around

9. Auxilliary 12v power outlets for rear passenger area

10. Rear seat DVD system option in sedan and wagon

11. Improved standard manual shift linkage

12. More durable paint

13. Optional SPT FMIC

14. Optional SPT/STI quad tip exhaust

15. Lighter FW on manual tranny models (not 15lb, but 18-20 would be a nice improvement)

16. DCCD on all turbo models

17. Boost gauge standard on all turbo models.

18. Loose the Fuel economy indicator - who really watches that anyway???

19. Si Drive should truly offer options people want and can notice - Economy, Performance, and 'Hold On to your hat'.

20. How about doors with window frames? What's the hangup there?

21. Another Audio issue, speaker location. Current is absolutely terrible for staging. The 'experts' have known for over 15 yrs that the doors is a rotten spot, and the front kick panels is the best compromise for a usable available location.

22. How about driver selectable suspension settings on the GT and STI models?

23. More supportive, wider seats.

24. More front passenger legroom (i.e. relocate the ECM)

25. Standard cabin air filter

26. HID lighting package with optional HID fog lights

27. Lose the current rear spoiler, switch to a lip spoiler.

28. Front lip spoiler on GT/STI models.

29. LED tail lights, parking lights, turn signals, and interior lights.

30. Reading lights standard for all four corner passengers.

31. Better bracing of chassis on GT/STI models standard (strut bars, sways, etc.)

32. One touch window down all doors.

33. One touch Sunroof close with a safety reversing switch instead of two step.

34. Keyless pushbutton ignition

35. Better optional gauges for Oil psi, Oil temp, etc.

Could I possibly have forgotten anything?:lol::lol::lol:

Vir Est Fatum Ut Perficio Concepta Suus Progenies. - Man is destined to fulfill the capacity of his lineage (i.e. Darwinism):rolleyes:

I agree with most except:

1. Keep the current size - no need for extra weight (won't happen unfortunately)

2. Stick to 17 wheels - no need for extra weight.

3. No need for stupid SI-Drive at all.

I think the 18" wheels fill the wheel openings out better cosmetically.

I agree the weight should be considered, but you can easily go to 18's without adding any weight over the current 17's....at a premium price though.

The SI-Drive isn't needed, but let's face it. Many other manufacturer's have offered selectable driving modes for years (volvo, mercedes, etc.). SOA is just follwoing the trend there (albeit 15 years later). I don't see it going away, so let's at least make it more functional (winter/economy/sport modes only??).

And I think the Legacy should be slightly bigger. sorry. If not, then Subie should consider a step up to remain more marketable. Everyone else has gone a bit bigger in the last 10 years (audi, BMW, Acura, Toyota, Nissan) some more than others.

The Altima and Camry offer considerably more interior and trunk space. The average american is both taller and wider than before and SOA has not done much to change their interiors to accomodate that.

Six foot tall used to be tall, now it is average or just below.

I'm not looking for them to make the mistakes of Ford (think last 5 generations of T-birds... Car got smaller but continued to weigh more).

Either way, I agree that those 3 objections could foster some lengthy discussions.

Vir Est Fatum Ut Perficio Concepta Suus Progenies. - Man is destined to fulfill the capacity of his lineage (i.e. Darwinism):rolleyes:

My

2. More power -

GT - Turbo 2.5l 300hp/300tq

STI - Turbo 3.5l 375hp/375tq

With new CAFE standards, we will never see this. However, since direct injection has been a rumored addition to the 2.5L I think its safe to expect a modest power increase (30-40 hp) for 2010. However, I could be wrong since Subaru has the new 3.6L and we can only speculate what will happen there.

3. No need for stupid SI-Drive at all.

Again, CAFE standards. That and people like gadgets in their cars.

I agree with most things in the list, but, framed windows? Nobody really likes framed windows, do they? I *LIKE* frame-less windows.

Wider seats? We need narrower people, not wider seats. The USDM seats are already wider than JDM seats. What we need is more side bolstering and better support, not wider. Longer, maybe (better thigh support).

I'm not a big fan of LED taillights, but it seems to be the trend, so I'll tolerate it, as long as they look good.

Other than those items, the rest I can wholeheartedly agree with.

Larger chassis is coming in 2010 when Legacy moves to the Tribeca chassis. Hopefully we'll get more power then too, though that remains to be seen.

The new analog fuel economy indicator is a rip-off from BMW. We could do without it, as it doesn't really tell us anything. I much prefer the digital MPG readout.

Just my $.02

2009 will have no big changes, minor cosmetic changes only.

Next January (2009) the all-new 2010 Legacy model will be unveiled at the Detroit Auto Show. It will be an all-new, upscale, larger platform Legacy. Expect 3 different power plants to start; 2.5l N/A, 2.5l Turbo and the 3.6l all with CVT transmissions. The Legacy will add a 4th power plant in 2011, a turbo-diesel.

Watch and see.... ;)

Subaru appears to be suffering from a serious case of cranial-rectal inversion.

No doubt.

And like Top Gun, they are in a 4-G negative dive.

Nah, man, he was inverted, it was a really cool move.

[cough]BHullSHIt[/cough]

Cranial-rectal inversion indeed; insertion, as well.

:mad:

The legacy does not need to be a larger platform, subaru needs to introduce a larger platform IN ADDITION TO the current sized Legacy. Think Legacy = BMW 3 series/Audi A4, etc.. and a larger one to fit the 5 series/A6...

CVT? :mad: :mad:

I would have to agree that the current Legacy is directly competing with the 3-series. However, the Imprezza sedan is also competing with the 3 series, more than the 1 series.

I think making the Legacy larger will seperate those two markets more.

Let's face it, SOA doesn't have a chassis to compete in the mid/up size market, and they are heavy in the mid/compact market. They are too small of a company to have 3 sedans, a 5 door, 2 wagons, and a SUV.

I REALLY like my 05 LGT for all that it is (fast, nimble, AWD). However, I would also have liked a slightly larger option with the power to move it in the same fashion.

I think the Legacy is slightly smaller than the current 3-series. It could stand to grow a smidgen.

If Subaru does it like the Impreza update, longer wheelbase and wider track, but similarly-sized body as the current Legacy (maybe slightly larger), I think it would be perfect. A little more room on the inside without making the overall package larger.

I like the way the front wheels on the BMWs are close to the corners. I kinda wish the Legacy looked like that, though I know Subaru can't do that with current AWD layout.

They really oughtta make a RWD variant of the Legacy. Push the engine and tranny back a little to balance out the weight, and it would be perfect! (it wouldn't be cost-effective to relocate the engine and tranny for one model, but it would be sweet!)

I can't wait to see what the '10 looks like. I'm guessing it won't change too much, since the Legacy/Outback is their bread & butter line.

The Legacy is an Entry Level luxury competitor, so I would expect it to take stay within distance of the BMW and Audi A4 in terms of interior and exterior volume

Direct injection more powerful engine in the area of 275 HP

Blue Tooth

Voice activated Nav

HID Xenon

Surround sound (Though I like the SRS enhanced audio in my 08 just fine)

Bigger tires

6 Speed automatic

slightly longer wheelbase.

Bigger trunk

Framed window glass probably

The Legacy is an Entry Level luxury competitor, so I would expect it to take stay within distance of the BMW and Audi A4 in terms of interior and exterior volume

entry luxury??? not so much. Lincoln MKX and MKS are trying to be. Lexus ES and IS250 are. Volvo maybe. Saab maybe. G35 and CTS are. Avalon and Maxima very well could be, too.

2.5i is nowhere near entry-luxury segment. The GT is more sport sedan than luxury sedan. The 3.0R is about as close as it gets to what you describe, and that isn't the bulk of the Legacy's numbers. More outback H6s sell in that segment than Legacys, as a percent, I would guess.

A4 is smaller than the current legacy, most especially in the back seat.

The E46 was smaller than the current legacy, and the E90 isn't all that different in size. If legacy goes bigger, it will probably be to go after Camry and Accord, which are both bigger, and closer in price to most of the Legacys sold.

I won't disagree with most of your suggestions, though.

Direct injection more powerful engine in the area of 275 HP - welcomed. I don't see why they don't go to top-line twin-turbo H6s, with so many other manufacturers doing so, like Ford, and BMW... and CAFE might push others that direction instead of V8s...

Bluetooth - very good. Stereo bluetooth for stereo audio in, while you're at it. Multiple device capability (bluetooth phone hands free, and bluetooth stereo audio in, phone call pauses and mutes other sources... might as well do it right, than poorly.)

Voice activated Nav - as long as it is optional.

HID Xenon - again optional, but something I would like.

Surround sound - I'd rather have an upgrade path, or aftermarket possibility, for compatibility with FM data stream and HD radio.

Bigger tires - not a bad idea. Wider wheels with standard both pattern, too.

6 Speed automatic - good, as long as a 6MT is also available.

slightly longer wheelbase. - not a horrible idea for rear legroom, as long as the car doesn't get much bigger in overall dimension or weight.

Bigger trunk - not at the expense of size and weight... or bring back the wagon.

Framed window glass probably - BOOO! NO! Pillar structure is stronger for it's size without making space window frame channeling, and frameless looks cooler, and the doors weigh less.

entry luxury??? not so much. Lincoln MKX and MKS are trying to be. Lexus ES and IS250 are. Volvo maybe. Saab maybe. G35 and CTS are. Avalon and Maxima very well could be, too.

2.5i is nowhere near entry-luxury segment. The GT is more sport sedan than luxury sedan. The 3.0R is about as close as it gets to what you describe, and that isn't the bulk of the Legacy's numbers. More outback H6s sell in that segment than Legacys, as a percent, I would guess.

A4 is smaller than the current legacy, most especially in the back seat.

The E46 was smaller than the current legacy, and the E90 isn't all that different in size. If legacy goes bigger, it will probably be to go after Camry and Accord, which are both bigger, and closer in price to most of the Legacys sold.

I won't disagree with most of your suggestions, though.

Direct injection more powerful engine in the area of 275 HP - welcomed. I don't see why they don't go to top-line twin-turbo H6s, with so many other manufacturers doing so, like Ford, and BMW... and CAFE might push others that direction instead of V8s...

Bluetooth - very good. Stereo bluetooth for stereo audio in, while you're at it. Multiple device capability (bluetooth phone hands free, and bluetooth stereo audio in, phone call pauses and mutes other sources... might as well do it right, than poorly.)

Voice activated Nav - as long as it is optional.

HID Xenon - again optional, but something I would like.

Surround sound - I'd rather have an upgrade path, or aftermarket possibility, for compatibility with FM data stream and HD radio.

Bigger tires - not a bad idea. Wider wheels with standard both pattern, too.

6 Speed automatic - good, as long as a 6MT is also available.

slightly longer wheelbase. - not a horrible idea for rear legroom, as long as the car doesn't get much bigger in overall dimension or weight.

Bigger trunk - not at the expense of size and weight... or bring back the wagon.

Framed window glass probably - BOOO! NO! Pillar structure is stronger for it's size without making space window frame channeling, and frameless looks cooler, and the doors weigh less.

Great post IwannaSportsedan

I came crom a 01 S4, and hands down Legacies aren't luxury entry cars, just aren't....

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Archived