LegacyGT.com

2009 Subaru Legacy rumor thread

godwhomismike

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont think the Legacy will grow by a huge degree. World cars tend to modest sized when compared to USDM efforts like the Accord

A good example being the TSX and Mazda 6. Even the new 09 Mazda 6 is about the same size as the current model

It will be interesting to see if Subaru bloats the LGT to Camry/Accord/Altima levels and alienates the world market, but gains some support from fat Americans

I dont see Subaru breaking their current model and making a USDM only version of the Legacy

Will it be bigger? Yes

Will it turn into Camry? doubt it

I dont think the Legacy will grow by a huge degree. World cars tend to modest sized when compared to USDM efforts like the Accord

A good example being the TSX and Mazda 6. Even the new 09 Mazda 6 is about the same size as the current model

It will be interesting to see if Subaru bloats the LGT to Camry/Accord/Altima levels and alienates the world market, but gains some support from fat Americans

I dont see Subaru breaking their current model and making a USDM only version of the Legacy

Will it be bigger? Yes

Will it turn into Camry? doubt it

i sure fricken hope not. it's not good when a compact weighs 3485 lbs. going bigger will just make a heavier car.

i personally like the compact size. weight is ok now but could be better. my old protege 5 weighed 2700lbs.

I'd like to see a Brake upgrade on the Spec B. It really needs more of a performance edge over the LGT to set it apart.

Also would like to know if a couple of my pet peeves with the 05 have been rectified. First a decent floor mat hook, or possibly two hooks to keep the drivers floor mat in place with out breaking. I've had mine replaced twice, and even with it in the mat rotates under the clutch somewhat.

Also I'd like to have a switch on the auto dim mirror that would take the mirror to full dimm with one tap then no dim if tapped again. They could put it on the back of the housing where the tradition switch would be on a manual mirror.

Also tie the toggle for the dash/radio/ac display into the sensor for the auto dimmer mirror. That way you don't have to toggle the dash switch if you are a old school subie driver.

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

I'd like to see a Brake upgrade on the Spec B. It really needs more of a performance edge over the LGT to set it apart.

Also would like to know if a couple of my pet peeves with the 05 have been rectified. First a decent floor mat hook, or possibly two hooks to keep the drivers floor mat in place with out breaking. I've had mine replaced twice, and even with it in the mat rotates under the clutch somewhat.

+1 For both! The hook that keeps my floor mat in place broke after about 2 months of ownership! I hope they cleared that flaw up in the 08's, but it has been annoying trying to keep my mats in place ever since. Also, I wish we could get the brembo package on the L Sti as an option on all Legacies with enough wheel clearance. If you check out subie in Japan, they have a huge oem upgrade catalog for all of their cars - still not sure why they don't offer those in the states. Shipping would be a bit more, but they could still be installed by the dealer and covered by a limited warranty.

I'd like to see a Brake upgrade on the Spec B. It really needs more of a performance edge over the LGT to set it apart. Pinks Standard would also be nice.

Also I'd like to have a switch on the auto dim mirror that would take the mirror to full dimm with one tap then no dim if tapped again. They could put it on the back of the housing where the tradition switch would be on a manual mirror.

Also tie the toggle for the dash/radio/ac display into the sensor for the auto dimmer mirror. That way you don't have to toggle the dash switch if you are a old school subie driver.

"Not sure what you mean about the last part..."

I have a switch on my dash that will put the display on full on when the headlights are on. The light sensor used for the dimmer mirror that is in the upper corner of the dash by the pass A pillar could tell the computer to put the Interior display lights on full during daylight. Just would make sense, not that it's a big deal to flip the switch. I do it automatically now. Just when some one new rides in the car tey are cconfused what I'm doing.

On old subies, the lights go off withthe car/handbrake just like ours. In the days before DRL some folks got in the habit of runnig lights all the time. It's kinda a subie setapart from way back.

I know I can turn my auto dim off, I'd just like to turn it to full on when some idiot with his HID's and brights on pulls up behind me in the daytime, like when it's raining but kinda bright out.

The light sensor used for the dimmer mirror that is in the upper corner of the dash by the pass A pillar

Uh, I don't think that's the light sensor for the dimming mirror. The sensor is in the mirror itself. At least it is on my '05.

The way I understand it, there are two sensors, one to tell if it's light out on the dash, and one on the unit to tell if there is light coming from behind you. I might be wrong this one, though.

On another note, does the Wrx/Sti have the same LCA bushing that we have now? If so I'd like to see a STi upgrade LCA bushing that wouldn't effect warranty, and go ahead an make it standard on both the STi and The Spec B.

The sensor on the dash is the sunlight sensor for the automatic climate controls.

Ok, there is a light sensor on the dash, even if I was wrong about what it does...:lol:

Point was it could be tied in to the display level toggle as a niceity.

Ok, there is a light sensor on the dash, even if I was wrong about what it does...:lol:

Point was it could be tied in to the display level toggle as a niceity.

The black sensor in the corner of the dash by the passenger A pillar is a sun sensor. Sun sensor = HEAT, not light. There is no light sensor on the car (other than the ones in the optional mirror).

The photo cel. for the mirror is easy to see on the mirror itself. Its very small and in the middle if I remember correctly. Also, yes there is another one facing forward to detect if it is light or not so the mirror can operate. You can probably cover the front facing one and the mirror will dimm all the time. Most cars auto dimming mirrors work the same exact way.

By the way, in this design there is no connection from the mirror to the car other than power. Makes it simple. Connecting the mirror to the dash is another step.. Not a big deal IMO but that's just me. 98% of the time I don't even make the dash brighter when the headlights are on during the day.

The 2009 Mazda6 is significantly bigger than the model it replaces, bringing it to competition with Camry, Accord, etc. With the WRX being closer in size to the legacy it only makes sense for the Legacy to grow in size...but we'll see

http://www.caranddriver.com/carnews/13515/spied-2009-mazda-6.html

Not really

"4,755mm long x 1,755mm wide (1,998mm with mirrors) x 1,440mm high making it 65 mm longer, 15 mm wider, 5 mm taller, with a 50 mm longer wheelbase than the first-generation Mazda6"

I can tell you if the new Legacy does not get a HP boost and does not add some more common 'luxury' options, I will not be getting another one.

I think most of us hold the same opinion on this one...keeping my fingers crossed for an announcement of the next gen at the end of this year! Although I am sure we will see afew mules and spy shots testing this summer.

I can tell you if the new Legacy does not get a HP boost and does not add some more common 'luxury' options, I will not be getting another one.

I would guess that we'll get a bunch of options for the '10 model, then they'll take half of them away for the successive years.

I'm hoping for an HP boost too.

I would also like to see some weight savings. One thing I love about the leggy is that it is pretty lightweight for a 4wd small-medium midsized four door. At 3,400 lbs or so, it is only 100 lbs heavier than my GF's 350Z but feels lighter on its feet in my opinion. They did a great job of keeping the Forrester and impreza weights low while increasing overall dimensions with high-strength steel and whatnot, so let's hope they carry that to the next lgt. Bring back the aluminum hood, roof, and trunk!

Archived