LegacyGT.com

2009 Subaru Legacy rumor thread

godwhomismike

Being a concept, we can hope the features will soften for production. We can only hope...

I'm sure the interior will change the most for production. Concepts usually aim for attention. They're getting it alright, but not necessarily all good.

The B11S and B9 Scrambler were great concept cars, but they never saw production. The B5-TPH was a horrible concept, and it never saw production. There's a strong possibility that the Exiga will never see production, but some of the styling cues might.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The dash has way too much chrome and is styled like a cheap POS economy car, the interior door panels are ugly, the seats are wide and flat for similarly styled American asses, the front end looks like something out of the Jetsons and the back end looks like something that never made the cut to be something featured on the Jetsons, the glass sunroofs are cool but don't open and the entire thing is an insult to GRP.

Wow. Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed :) j/k

So you like it? :)

Go Cardinals!

I'm really hoping they don't botch up the diesel by offering only a CVT..

That would be a deal breaker.

Oh Im thinking that they would def. offer a 4 cylinder diesel with a MT as well. It would be stupid not to. Look at the Jetta TDI, most out there a MTs.

That is an awesome minivan. I would drive that. Can I get it with a 2.5L turbo?

Def. a direct competitor to the non AWD Ford Flex. Hope we see it, though I have a feeling that if we do, it will end up like the SVX. Though maybe Subaru should stick to their athletic, sedans. Afterall Pontiac came out with a minivan....its never been the same since.

Correction: I earlier stated:

There's a strong possibility that the Exiga will never see production, but some of the styling cues might.

I just saw a link in the 2009 Forester thread to a Jalopnik article indicating that the stretched Outback mule is probably a mule for the Exiga, meaning it's production-likely:

http://jalopnik.com/cars/tokyo-auto-show/2009-subaru-exiga-309338.php

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1436278#post1436278

Post # 90

Thank you for your email received by Subaru of America, Inc. We appreciate you taking the time to contact us.

The 2009 Legacy is not scheduled for a re-design for the 2009 model year. We will be re-designing the Subaru Forester for 2009. Thank you for your inquiry and we hope that you will look to Subaru for your future vehicle needs.

If you should need future assistance, please feel free to contact us again.

Sincerely,

Lana Downs

Subaru of America, Inc.

Customer/Dealer Services Department

Being a concept, we can hope the features will soften for production. We can only hope...

I'm sure the interior will change the most for production. Concepts usually aim for attention. They're getting it alright, but not necessarily all good.

The B11S and B9 Scrambler were great concept cars, but they never saw production. The B5-TPH was a horrible concept, and it never saw production. There's a strong possibility that the Exiga will never see production, but some of the styling cues might.

Look at the Audi TT and Infiniti FX series...

I have had both in the past (wife drives a 08 FX nowadays), very little modifications from the prototype.

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

I have had both in the past (wife drives a 08 FX nowadays), very little modifications from the prototype.

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Well, I suppose we should look at other Subaru concepts that *did* make it to production and see how much or how little they changed. The Baja concept (was it ST-X?) changed in that the fold-down partition and window disappeared, and we just got a little pass-thru. How much did the first-gen Forester change from the Forester concept?

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

It seems to me that high end prototypes tend to stick to production. However cars in the low - moderate range generally throw out a few WILD concepts (Jeep Hurricane comes to mind) to get people talking and to use the cues they hear are good and ditch what isn't. I'm sure they are reading our posts taking notes ;)

I didn't read the whole thread, but my expectation for MY2009+ is to see some kind of STi Legacy variant. Much like the 2.5RS tested the market for the WRX essentially, the USDM spec.B I think might have gauged interest in a super Legacy.

Perhaps sales haven't been ideal, but that's just one factor. I think with the Impreza STI here, there's good reason to eventually have one. Naturally we'd all want to see a crazy turbo H-6 with a 6MT and trick differentials. :D

wow, that concept car comes complete with BLINGTERIOR seriously.. can we get chrome seats too? (FUGLY CAR)

um, some people on here seemed to be speaking of CVT as a good thing? am I missing the boat here? I thought rubber bands driving your car was the only way a fluid filled doughnut driving your car could be worse.. I'm contemplating giving up autos since they're all going to rubber-band drive.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

um, some people on here seemed to be speaking of CVT as a good thing? am I missing the boat here? I thought rubber bands driving your car was the only way a fluid filled doughnut driving your car could be worse.. I'm contemplating giving up autos since they're all going to rubber-band drive.

Get into the 21st century. CVTs make sense in your average vehicle.

CVT Pros and Cons

For a long time, CVTs were restricted to small-car, low-torque applications; this, because of frictional limitations at the pulley-belt-pulley interfaces. (The folk legend of a Williams Formula 1 car trying a CVT seems to be true. What's never mentioned is how long that particular CVT lasted.)

Each generation of CVT design has raised the acceptable torque limit. Audi's Multitronic CVT can handle torque inputs as high as 230 lb.-ft. The Nissan Murano's Xtronic holds the current belt-CVT torque record at 246 lb.-ft.

And, for example, Nissan offers a CVT option on home-market cars producing 285 lb.-ft. of torque. This innovative Extroid CVT uses discs and rollers in lieu of a belt (see Tech Tidbits, March 2000). A downside of the disc-roller concept is its rather exotic lube requirement, a specially formulated fluid that transfers the torque through viscous shear.

By contrast, conventional CVTs use something akin to a traditional automatic's ATF fill. However, some specify rather more stringent change intervals. Audi's, for instance, is every 35,000 miles.

A CVT's extremes of ratio are not dramatically different from those of today's state-of-the-art manuals or automatics. For example, the Nissan Murano's overall ratios range from 12.3:1 to 2.3:1, a spread of 5.4:1. For its Multitronic, Audi cites an overall spread of 12.7:1 to 2.1:1, encompassing a range of 6:0:1. A sampling of recent R&T test vehicles shows ratio spreads ranging from 3.9:1 (Honda S2000) to 6.1:1 (Saab 9-3), both with manual 6-speeds. Data for the latest 6-speed automatics (Porsche Cayenne, Audi A8 L) are similar to the Saab's.

Of course, the CVT's forte isn't just its range of ratios, but the availability of each and every possibility within the range. Enhanced emissions characteristics are one payoff: CVT powertrains can be calibrated to run in their cleanest modes for given combinations of load, speed and rpm. Fuel economy also benefits. For example, Nissan's home-market data on its Extroid CVT cites 10-percent-better fuel economy than a conventional automatic's. The Saturn Ion VTi claims a 7- to 11-percent improvement, compared with its conventional 4-speed automatic. Audi says that its Multitronic A4 is actually more frugal than one equipped with a 5-speed manual.

In general, a CVT weighs less and has fewer elements than a comparable automatic gearbox. The Saturn's, for example, has 45-percent-fewer parts than its 4-speed automatic counterpart.

Early CVTs got a bad reputation, and rightfully so, for their tendency to "motorboat." That is, revs would rise disconcertingly independent of road speed or even of load. At its worst, a CVT-equipped car felt like a manual-gearbox version with a horribly slipping clutch; at best, it was an acquired taste.

The latest iterations, though, are behaving decidedly better. For instance, Audi, Mini and Nissan have programmed in simulated shifts in at least some modes of driving. They're still different, though, neither mimicking a manual gearbox nor resembling a conventional automatic.

Let's take brief drives in several of them.

Most car companies do a redesign every 4-5 model years.

In the past, Honda was on an eight year plan with the Accord: total redesign every eight years, major refresh at the four year point. Compared to that, Subaru is doing really good in doing a total redesign every five years. I'm not sure if Honda is still holding to that plan.

I wish I had sources to confirm, but I don't. My logical conclusion says we should see the 3.6 in 2010, since that's when the Legacy is moving to the Tribeca platform, but I haven't heard so much as a rumor to say we will. It makes good sense, but how often does SOA make decisions that make sense?

Archived