LegacyGT.com

Just bought a 335xi.... some thoughts.

I've driven both and the 335is....no comparison. The Bimmer strikes the balance between handling and ride comfort and makes the Bilstein equipped Spec B feel like it's riding on dubs with rubber bands for tires.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ that sounds overexaggerated

bmw owners always talking blah blah - I bought a used 318ti 2 year ago and didn't see what the fuzz was all about - lgt was way better

btw: spec b stock springs might suck - but STi spec B springs fix the problem

I've driven both and the 335is....no comparison. The Bimmer strikes the balance between handling and ride comfort and makes the Bilstein equipped Spec B feel like it's riding on dubs with rubber bands for tires.

Hmmmmmm..... Actual experts disagree with you. However, based on your opinion, I think a test drive of the 335i is in order. Does it have to be an "s"? How much $ is that option?

I'm not saying (and never have said) the 335i is a bad car. BMW seems to have a slick new car for the line up. What I will say and what I have said for a long time is that the Subaru Spec.B is the best bang for your buck in the automotive world. That's why I bought it. We must remember, however, that the current LGT platform is now three years old.

^ that sounds overexaggerated

So does that. :lol: j/k

btw: spec b stock springs might suck - but STi spec B springs fix the problem

It depends what you want. The Spec.B is an excellent touring (sporty and comfortable) OEM set up. I put on a lot of miles and the combination of excellent highway feel and being able to outcorner and out handle 99.5% of the cars on the road suits me fine.

^ I have never driven on bilsteins and my suspension is very heavily modified, but I can tell that my ohlins $$$$ shocks and spec b sti springs are excellent

when I had stock suspension, replacing wheels/tires/sway bars/strut bars made a huge difference

now the suspension setup is so great, I need the stickiest tires possible to hold the car through 50-70mph turns

i had a rental 328i over the 5 day weekend.. hell even that made me want to jump to a 3 series.. so smooth and comfortable.. damn i need a jump in income.. hell the 328i is decently fast now, about as fast as an auto LGT?

oh well

Get real. We have an affinity for our cars....If it comes down to spending 51k or 28k on an LGT, it's an easy decision for me. I will bank the cash and have a similiar performing car...

I don't think there is anywhere on this thread that will state the LGT is the greatest, fastest car in the world.

+$23,000

The LGT is huge bang for the buck. And its got a kick ass AWD system at its very heart. It's almost like art.

Next year perhaps.

I wonder what the premium would be on a Spec.B that has never studdered?

I think you'll be unpleasantly surprised at what the "premium" is for any used subaru legacy :lol:

Resale value isn't exactly a legacy strong point.

Hmmmmmm..... Actual experts disagree with you. However, based on your opinion, I think a test drive of the 335i is in order. Does it have to be an "s"? How much $ is that option?

I don't care what 'experts' think and by 'experts' I assume you mean car mags. :lol: hardly experts. I'm the one spending the $$ and if I drove both cars on my local roads and one is better than the other to me, that's what matters.

I'm not saying (and never have said) the 335i is a bad car. BMW seems to have a slick new car for the line up. What I will say and what I have said for a long time is that the Subaru Spec.B is the best bang for your buck in the automotive world. That's why I bought it. We must remember, however, that the current LGT platform is now three years old.

actually, double that. 2003 was the first model year in Japan. '03, '04, '05, '06, '07 and now '08 (last year before the redesign).

I had the chance to drive a 335i last week. I have been contemplating trading my 05 LGT in as well. Don't get me wrong I love the car, but I kind of want a bit more luxury and style. First thing I noticed about the 335i was there is no turbo lag, instant power and lots of it. I am at Stage 2 on my LGT and the 335i has noticeably more power, especially up top. I know its not scientific at all, but I counted out the time it took to do 60-90 (one one thousand, two one thousand, you know) and it took the LGT a little over 1 second longer, 5 vs 6 seconds. I was impressed, and that was on a brand new car that hadn't broken in fully yet. I would probably end up getting a Coupe version if I did buy one, and more then likely I would just lease it. Its a tough choice, do I keep the Legacy and be financially responsible (I can afford the BMW, but I may look into buying a house soon) or do I just keep the LGT.

Here is how "expensive" the fully loaded 335i is (navi, sport package, premium package, cold weather package, park distance control, 6MT) as compared to my old "fully-loaded" LGT (missing navi and many other gadgets that I have on 335i):

LGT price: $27300 (invoice)

335i price: $45,800 ($1000 above invoice)

LGT payments (purchase): $3000 down + $483 every month. Owned for 2 years, so if the downpayment is disbursed into monthy payments the monthly total was $483 + $125 = $608.

335i payments (lease -- 15k miles per year): 0 down + $587 every month

Other LGT perks: free oil changes for life

Other 335i perks: free full maintenance for 45k miles all-inclusive (stuff like free windshield wipers and free brake pads)

Now, turns our that I was paying more $$$ for a $27k car than for a $45k car. As simple as that.

Don't tell me that a lease is not a purchase. For me, a lease makes total sense and is much better than a purchase financially because I like to have a new car every 3 years. Trust me, I purchased an LGT and lost a lot of $$$ having sold it 2 years after.

So, those who think that an LGT is cheaper to have than a 335i, think twice. BMW essentially heavily subsidizes their leases through high residual values and low money factor rates. It is not less affordable that an LGT unless you want to buy it (which makes sense only if you need to keep it for more than 5 years).

And if you lease you only pay tax on the difference between the purchase price and the residual value. That saves you another couple grands.

I had the chance to drive a 335i last week. I have been contemplating trading my 05 LGT in as well. Don't get me wrong I love the car, but I kind of want a bit more luxury and style. First thing I noticed about the 335i was there is no turbo lag, instant power and lots of it. I am at Stage 2 on my LGT and the 335i has noticeably more power, especially up top. I know its not scientific at all, but I counted out the time it took to do 60-90 (one one thousand, two one thousand, you know) and it took the LGT a little over 1 second longer, 5 vs 6 seconds. I was impressed, and that was on a brand new car that hadn't broken in fully yet. I would probably end up getting a Coupe version if I did buy one, and more then likely I would just lease it. Its a tough choice, do I keep the Legacy and be financially responsible (I can afford the BMW, but I may look into buying a house soon) or do I just keep the LGT.

See my post above the financial side of the deal.

My payment is 467 and I put nothing down...some people cannot lease becuas ethey would blow it up. That 335 lease probably has 10k per year...I drive about double that and the average is 2k more per year...

I plan on woing my car for a long time....unless an LGT STI comes out then I would own your 335 all the way around.

Rehab is for quitters.

Archived