LegacyGT.com

Just bought a 335xi.... some thoughts.

Here is how "expensive" the fully loaded 335i is (navi, sport package, premium package, cold weather package, park distance control, 6MT) as compared to my old "fully-loaded" LGT (missing navi and many other gadgets that I have on 335i):

LGT price: $27300 (invoice)

335i price: $45,800 ($1000 above invoice)

LGT payments (purchase): $3000 down + $483 every month. Owned for 2 years, so if the downpayment is disbursed into monthy payments the monthly total was $483 + $125 = $608.

335i payments (lease -- 15k miles per year): 0 down + $587 every month

Other LGT perks: free oil changes for life

Other 335i perks: free full maintenance for 45k miles all-inclusive (stuff like free windshield wipers and free brake pads)

Now, turns our that I was paying more $$$ for a $27k car than for a $45k car. As simple as that.

Don't tell me that a lease is not a purchase. For me, a lease makes total sense and is much better than a purchase financially because I like to have a new car every 3 years. Trust me, I purchased an LGT and lost a lot of $$$ having sold it 2 years after.

So, those who think that an LGT is cheaper to have than a 335i, think twice. BMW essentially heavily subsidizes their leases through high residual values and low money factor rates. It is not less affordable that an LGT unless you want to buy it (which makes sense only if you need to keep it for more than 5 years).

And if you lease you only pay tax on the difference between the purchase price and the residual value. That saves you another couple grands.

That's apples and oranges... on your legacy you were paying for the whole thing...

On your lease you are paying for roughly half of the vehicle. My LGT was a lease and my lease was $383 a month. And that was with a ton of accessories on it

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That comparison is apples and oranges. The lease payment of the Legacy would have been a lot less.

Since you liked the 335 you should have bought it, but skip the financial hocus pocus.

Apples to oranges? Let's see ...

The approximate lease monthly payment for the fully loaded (with options) LGT Spec. B taken at the invoice price would be $569.88.

Here is how it was calculated:

36 months lease with 12k miles allowance, 0 down

MSRP: $36,042 (per MSN.com)

Invoice: $33,142 (again per MSN.com)

Money factor rate: 0.0020 or 4.8% (source http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef9ddb3/22)

Residual value: 50% (same source)

Lease tax (WA): 9.1%

Use lease calculator http://www.leaseguide.com/calc.htm to arrive at $569.88

The calculation did not include some of the usual dealer's fees like documents fee, training fee, and other miniscule crap.

So, for a $45,800 BMW 335i, I pay $587 a month with 15K miles per year, while I would have been paying about $569 for a $33, 142 Spec. B with 12K miles per year. And with Spec. B you don't get full maintenance for 45K miles.

Apples to oranges ...

That's apples and oranges... on your legacy you were paying for the whole thing...

On your lease you are paying for roughly half of the vehicle. My LGT was a lease and my lease was $383 a month. And that was with a ton of accessories on it

First of all, it's more fair to compare a fully loaded $335i with a fully-loaded Spec B. FYI, you can lease a bare-bones 335i for less than $500 with 0 down.

Second, buying a new car, paying the tax on the full price, and selling it within first 3 years is a huge waste of $$$. So yes, I was paying for the full car (paying twice the interest), and that was stupid.

Third, as you can see from my lease payment calculation the difference in lease payments of 335i v. Spec B. is minimal. Why? Because the residual value of 335i after 36 months is 60% v. 50% residual of the Spec. B. Also, the money factor rate is lower. So, if you can afford to lease a Spec. B, you can also afford to lease a 335i. And if you opt not to get a fully-loaded 335i, you can actually end-up paying less than for a Spec. B.

My payment is 467 and I put nothing down...some people cannot lease becuas ethey would blow it up. That 335 lease probably has 10k per year...I drive about double that and the average is 2k more per year...

I plan on woing my car for a long time....unless an LGT STI comes out then I would own your 335 all the way around.

My lease has 15k miles per year.

For the LGT, I was paying $483 a month with $3000 down and 3.9% interest rate.

OK, the 335 is the new King of Cars :lol:

I paid $25k for my Legacy, if it was $33k or anything over $30 I wouldn't have bought it so that is my comparison :)

It's not that 335 is the king of cars (although it's a great car), it's that it can be no less affordable than a Spec. B, if we are talking about a lease. The reason I started this discussion is that many people are saying, oh gee, 335 is great, but so freaking expensive! it may not be under certain circumstances.

It is definitely the new King of Cars (at least until the 135i comes out) SRT4--> Legacy GT --> 335i

What is the cost for that 335 over 5 years ;)

I agree the 335 is a cheap car, sort of like a KIA, at least when you lease ;)

Nice comparison with KIA :lol:

But seriously, my point is why paying $560 a month for a $33k car if you can pay $590 a month for a $45k car with more power, better handling, and more luxury.

^ that sounds overexaggerated

bmw owners always talking blah blah - I bought a used 318ti 2 year ago and didn't see what the fuzz was all about - lgt was way better

btw: spec b stock springs might suck - but STi spec B springs fix the problem

This is the funniest post I have ever seen in comparing two cars.

A used BMW 318ti, an old under powered E36 BMW that is probably almost ten years old vs. a much more current turbocharged sedan.:lol:

The "logic" is so retarded, and hilarious I just about died laughing.

^ 318ti had brand new sport springs and new bilstein shocks, rims/tires

I am sure 335i's suspension is 40 times better than 318ti or lgt - because you said so. No wonder bmw owners are called a-holes

anyways, get a life

^^^^someone was just used.

BTW since the 335 is the next best thing to a Z06 and 911 turbo we should just shut this board down. Mods please change the name to 335rules.com

Thx.

Rehab is for quitters.

^ 318ti had brand new sport springs and new bilstein shocks, rims/tires

I am sure 335i's suspension is 40 times better than 318ti or lgt - because you said so. No wonder bmw owners are called a-holes

anyways, get a life

I don't really care how new the sport springs and shocks were. It's still an E36 BMW, which was a good handling car in it's day but not in the same league as a more current car. Shocks and springs don't change the control arm geometry, or any other major suspension characteristic.

I have no doubt that the LGT is a better handling car than an old 318ti, I have driven both but really don't remember the 318ti at all. The LGT better be more capable than a 10+ year old BMW four cylinder entry level car.:lol:

However until you drive a 335i making a valid comparison between it and an LGT from an experienced view point is not something you can do. Notice that so far everyone here who has driven both likes the 335i better....

If that makes us all a-holes that is fine with me, at least we aren't morons that have a hard time making anything resembling a valid comparison.

not to mention the 318ti uses the E30 rear end :lol:

If forgot about that. The 318ti was too short to use the longer rear trailing arms of the other E36's. The Z3 also used the E30 rear end and it could be a handful, not nearly as planted as an E36, not to mention an E90.

^ what's your point? that 335i with sport+performance pack is better than stock lgt?

how about lgt with say pinks/ohlins/cusco lower arm bars, strut bars, lca bushings, steering bushings, spec b control arms, wheels, low profile re-01r tires and proper alignment, lighter brakes? still sucks?

^ what's your point? that 335i with sport+performance pack is better than stock lgt?

how about lgt with say pinks/ohlins/cusco lower arm bars, strut bars, lca bushings, steering bushings, spec b control arms, wheels, low profile re-01r tires and proper alignment, lighter brakes? still sucks?

imo...yeah.

one is factory and warranty the other is a bunch of chooped up stuff thrown onto a car.

you dont piece a car like a high end stereo.

after all the parts and labor how much did you spend on that suspension?

Guest Gitster

I think "RIDICULOUS" is the most mis-spelled word of all time.

I used to spell it that way, until somebody corrected me, I couldnt believe I had spelled it wrong my whole life, I just couldn't accept it :lol:

Archived