LegacyGT.com

Just bought a 335xi.... some thoughts.

Let me chime in...One can buy a loaded 08 LGT for about 28k...maybe less...that is 23k less than the 335Xi...I think I would take that savings and run...put about 5k in it for mods and you have a car that will run w/ the 335....

BMW makes a great car but for that savings...it's a no brainer.

Rehab is for quitters.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sure it's a very nice car but it's no M. Like I said, for $51 I'm looking luxury for a depreciating asset but that's just me.

For $28k when I bought it (yes you heard it here first) on a near new, one owner, former LGT.com member, 06 Spec.B with 6k miles w/ proscribed break in with the plastic still on the back seats and unused summer mats, I dun good.

Not to try and be nit picky, but a few car and drivers ago they did the "lightning lap" test. The 335i came in well ahead of the Z4M coupe. Just cause it has an /M badge doesn't mean it dominates.

Picked a 335 because you didn't like the reflectors in the bumper in the Legacy? :lol:

I dunno, the last 3 series (a 330) that I sat in had seat material lifted right out of a Denny's restaraunt booth cushion (it was rubber.. the EXACT thing I sat on a week later at Denny's) and the new interior ergonomics suck.. the boring flat dash that isn't angled to the driver looks like it was lifted out of something from the 80's...

German unreliability, exorbatent price and bleh styling on the inside are all huge turnoffs for me.

Congrats tho

Weird comments because many people have considered the 330i to be one of the best daily drivers in the world. It had power, comfort, and luxury. I don't know what you might have been smoking at the time but the 330i set a standard in sport sedans.

I meant M as in M45.

How much would that naturally aspirated V8 suffer from 4,500-11,000 feet of elevation though? Remember the original poster lives in CO, and forced induction is the only way to maintain consistent performance at higher altitudes in a reciprocating engine.

^ Basically, for $51k I'd be moving into a different class of car meaning luxury rather than sport and an M45x would deliver pretty nicely.

Where one lives is definitely a consideration for what one might buy. I see snow so I like AWD. I probably wouldn't bother with AWD if I lived in Florida.

Price not being an object, I would be all over a 335xi wagon :cool:

To the OP, did you have any of he fuel pump misery that has been well documented?

No, but I've only had the car for a few days. I'm not 100% familiar with the specifics of the problem, but I do know that some people on bimmerfest and e90post have had issues, and been very vocal about it.

If I have any issues, I'll report back.

How much would that naturally aspirated V8 suffer from 4,500-11,000 feet of elevation though? Remember the original poster lives in CO, and forced induction is the only way to maintain consistent performance at higher altitudes in a reciprocating engine.

Yeah, forced induction has a major advantage up here.

I've heard, but not confirmed, that an NA car can expect to lose about 15-20% of its performance here at 5280'.

Dunno if that's accurate or not. Regardless, it's definitely noticeable.

Edit: Using this tool, and current conditions in Boulder, I end up with ~80% relative horsepower: http://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_hp_dp.htm

335i is a nice car... it's nearly double the price of an LGT. As the OP stated... it's a testament to the Legacy to have been in the running with a car that is in a different class (meaning entry level luxury). The lease on that is spectacular.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Everyone is missing one important factor. His 335xi is FULLY LOADED. Or at least extremely loaded considering he is paying 51k for it. M45 (which isn't released in AWD format.. yet) starts at 50k. Thats before Nav and other shiz.

The 335 is a very very nice car. Only thing comparable is the G35. Sure you can throw the legacy in their but it is slower and not as nice of quality. Sure you can throw away the warranty and make it faster but making it more luxurous would be expensive and difficult.

The 335 is a very very nice car. Only thing comparable is the G35. Sure you can throw the legacy in their but it is slower and not as nice of quality. Sure you can throw away the warranty and make it faster but making it more luxurous would be expensive and difficult.

This is true. The Legacy is not a luxury car, though it is upscale as we all know. I always felt that Subaru was more of a performance orientated brand among the ranks of Pontiac, Mazda, Mitsubishi, and maybe Mercury (which is more upscale than performance).

Personally, I love the 330xi and have the option of buying my dad's off lease in two years. Unfortunately I dont have $27k to spend on a used car and a BMW no less and I really dont care of the run flat tires. I like the G35 coupe alot, however it lacks AWD.

I also heard that BMW is going to be equipping a V8 with it's twin turbo technology due to the popularity of the 335, 535. This engine will definately be in the 6 series, which needs a shot in the arm because few are buying it.

Let me chime in...One can buy a loaded 08 LGT for about 28k...maybe less...that is 23k less than the 335Xi...I think I would take that savings and run...put about 5k in it for mods and you have a car that will run w/ the 335....

BMW makes a great car but for that savings...it's a no brainer.

Not to pick on you, but the same could be said for the Legacy as well... If we follow this line of reasoning to its logical conclusion we should all go buy a used $4000 Civic, do a motor swap and add FI, and be running in the 11's for 1/2 of what a new Legacy GT costs.

In the end, it's just a nicer car. You're paying for better service (much better service), better resale value, greater level of refinement, and more options as well as better performance with the BMW over a Legacy.

Having said that, I don't think I could ever bring myself to spend $50k on a car of any type, BMW or otherwise. But I can understand what others see in them.

Planning on modding @ all??

I drove a slightly modded 335i sport recently & was VERY impressed:):)

It's leased, so I don't plan on doing anything, really. I *might* do an ECU piggyback, but I need to do some research. (Will it throw the car into limp mode?, warranty stuff, etc.)

-Your new 51K BMW has about the same leg room as the 35K Spec B

-The spec B has a better looking dash/center console than the bimmer

-The Subie has greater mod capability for less money than a 335ix

-Ur BMTroubleU has a nice exhaust note and a sexy exterior design.

-The bimmer (3 series) is about as common as a honda civic or accord (at least here it is)....granted the 335 isnt common but bimbos cant tell the difference anyways ;)

-Regardless a great car ...but for that price it better damn well be.

-smart thing for going for the lease....abuse it and then return it. Its too expensive to buy.

Most of your points are just opinions, not close to facts.

If i was offered a 335i or a Spec B. for free, I know what one I would take. Now buying, Spec B. is way more affordable on my income but that doesn't make it a better car.

Interior size advantages for Spec B. vs 335 :

Spec B has greater front leg room.

Interior size advantages for 335i vs Spec B:

335i has greater Front head room

Rear head room

front shoulder room

rear shoulder room

Rear leg room

greater luggage capacity

Which is funny because the spec b is a larger car (by a few inches)

Most of your points are just opinions, not close to facts.

If i was offered a 335i or a Spec B. for free, I know what one I would take. Now buying, Spec B. is way more affordable on my income but that doesn't make it a better car.

Interior size advantages for Spec B. vs 335 :

Spec B has greater front leg room.

Interior size advantages for 335i vs Spec B:

335i has greater Front head room

Rear head room

front shoulder room

rear shoulder room

Rear leg room

greater luggage capacity

Which is funny because the spec b is a larger car (by a few inches)

Yeah, the LGT is not the roomiest car for the exterior size. I still don't understand why people get so worked up to compare the LGT and the 335i. There not in the same class in performance and price. The LGT is a great car under $35K. The 335 is a great car for under $50K.

Out of all the cars out there, the 335xi is probably the most logical progression for suby owners who cannot get anything better than a LGT Spec B because Subaru won't bring over the damn STI version.

I do think BMWs are over priced, but hey... if people keep buying them... I can't blame them for jacking up the prices.

I think us LGT owners just like to compare our cars for the sake of making us feel better. I know that for my 26k I spent I got a dang good car. Flaws, sure. But it does what I want it to do (except fold down rear seats, freaking 06's)

When I bought it did I expect it to be better than a car that costs me 20k more? Nope, nor would I find that reasonable to expect.

For the money it does what I want it to. And with the great after market, I can make it do even more than I wanted it to! :)

Archived