LegacyGT.com

Just bought a 335xi.... some thoughts.

Hi all,

Last year, I traded in our '05 LGT LTD wagon because my wife wanted a Tribeca to haul around our new baby and her myriad accessories. (Strollers, toys, whatever.)

I've been driving an s2000, but after 7 months of having the baby, and a car with only 2 seats, I thought it was time to say goodbye and move to something a bit more practical, ie- something with more than 2 seats.

I narrowed my search down to AWD turbo sedans exclusively, because I live in Colorado... the altitude here is a killer for NA engines, and the AWD makes the winter a lot easier to deal with.

That said, I considered the LGT sedan, the Mazdaspeed 6, and the BMW 335xi.

The Mazda was a bit of a non-starter, because I couldn't find any locally to look at. Sadly, my recollection of my brother's Mazda Protege was that the interior was cheap and plasticy, so, while the *idea* of the MS6 seemed great, the fact that I couldn't find one kind of killed it for me. Oh well.

I drove to the local Subaru dealer to check out the LGTs they had on the lot, and I have to say, I really didn't care for the new body details, (the reflectors in the rear bumper and the rims, especially), I felt that the new center console looked like it was straight out of 1984. Very strange... and the super glossy plastic "wood" didn't help. I know the spec B is better, but I think my '05 looked much better, both inside and out, and that's ultimately what drove me to test drive a 335xi.

I'm not a huge fan of the 335's body styling, but I like it a lot more than the LGT. The interior is a large step up in quality and ergonomics, and with the premium and sport package, the seats are nothing short of phenomenal- I honestly don't believe they could be improved in any way. Surprisingly, they let me take a car out alone on a test drive, and the performance was, in a word, stunning. The twin turbos really make a huge difference with respect to lag- it's just torque torque torque all the way to redline. The handling was compliant while cruising, yet taut when taking a corner aggressively. Coming from an s2000, I expected to be disappointed, but all things considered (increase in size, and weight) I was really blown away.

So, I pulled the trigger, and I picked it up yesterday. It's titanium silver with black leather / brushed aluminum (I hate fake wood!) interior. It's loaded, with premium and sport packages, cold weather, nav, iDrive, Steptronic, Sirius, blah blah blah. The iDrive system is great btw, don't believe any of the reviews that say otherwise!

The fact that I had narrowed my choices down to two cars, one with an MSRP of $35,00 (loaded spec B.) and the other with an MSRP of $51,000 (loaded) says a hell of a lot about the value of the Subaru!!!

Aside from the easily dented body panels, blah styling, and crappy mileage, I never really had any legitimate complaints about my LGT. In the end, I think I had arrived at a point in my life where I had the ability to buy the car I really wanted, and I was tired of a lifetime of automobile compromises.

So, the synopsis is: Consider the 335xi if you some cash to burn- you won't have any regrets. If not, just get a LGT, and enjoy it, it's a great car!!!

:)

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
great choice.

I'm holding out to drive the new 135 (same TT engine) for well under $40k

I was tempted to wait for the 135, but winter is looming, and the value of my s2000 was about to go off a cliff. Also, I wanted AWD, and 4 doors.

It will be really interesting to see what happens when the 135 arrives. I'm sure you are going to see them all over the place, especially at the price point.

I'm not really sure how BMW expects to differentiate the 135 from the 335i coupe- since it's smaller and lighter, the only thing I can think of would be interior quality... which I am sure most people would be willing to overlook.

congrats, but 51K for a 3 series? Ouch!

Yes, it's gonzo expensive. But at the end of the day, I am only paying $150 more a month to drive the car that I want. (I'm leasing it.)

Factor in no maintenance costs for 4 years.... and I'm only paying an extra $100 a month or so.

That said, if you had 50k to drop on an AWD turbo sedan, what would you consider? (Not being a dick, I honestly don't know anything else that is out there in that price range.)

Actually leasing makes sense for that car at that price point.

Good question, did you test drive an S4? That would be on my short list even thought its about 5 grand or so more loaded..

BMW leases are pretty sick because the residual value is so high. You can get a 335i (RWD) right now for something like $530(?) a month.

I didn't look at an S4 because I thought they were quite a bit more expensive. (Like 60k or so? Gonna check Audi's site now, one sec: 48k MSRP... I had no idea, I guess I was thinking of the RS6, which is 66k.) Also, my in-laws have an A6 that has been nothing but trouble- I've heard a lot of anecdotes about Audi's reliability.

BTW, gere's a pretty great review I just found from a guy who walks through his cross-shopping experience.

In hindsight, I probably should have looked at the Audi too...

I priced out a 535xi Touring.....loaded it comes to $60k. I think if I were spending $51k, making the jump to $60k would be worth it for the extra space (me, not a judgment on anybody else).

That's always the challenge, isn't it? Where to draw the line.... I thought I was gonna spend about 47k, but ended up adding 4k in options. (What's another 4k, after all?) ;)

For me, the 335 ultimately made more sense, because of its size. We have the Tribeca, so space isn't really an issue, because I just wanted to have a car that we could throw the kid in when we need to, but still be fun to toss around when I was driving solo. The 535 just seems too close to "land yacht" territory for me.

I can see the appeal though, I have a friend who loves the 5 series but can't stand the 3. :)

yeah...that's always hard :lol: I have driven two 335i's and my buddy's '05 545is. No question for me....the 3 series is too small (I'm 6'1"). The 5 series is slightly bigger than the LGT....the 3 series slightly smaller

yeah...that's always hard :lol: I have driven two 335i's and my buddy's '05 545is. No question for me....the 3 series is too small (I'm 6'1"). The 5 series is slightly bigger than the LGT....the 3 series slightly smaller

Coming from the s2000, the 335 seems to have more room than a couch.

:p

I understand (via this site) that 09 M45X (yes, it's new) has a power upgrade.

the M50 has 390hp, so everything else will slot below. seriously though....anything 300+hp from the factory is just silly power.

For $51 large, I'm looking go and luxury. The 3 series isn't that but that's just fine for some and happy motoring to all.

You don't have to spend 51k on a 3 series. A former member of this site got a very well equiped one for 38k out the door. I don't think anything can beat that.

Have you looked at what comes standard? It's a pretty decked out car.

You don't have to spend 51k on a 3 series. A former member of this site got a very well equiped one for 38k out the door. I don't think anything can beat that.

Have you looked at what comes standard? It's a pretty decked out car.

I'm sure it's a very nice car but it's no M. Like I said, for $51 I'm looking luxury for a depreciating asset but that's just me.

For $28k when I bought it (yes you heard it here first) on a near new, one owner, former LGT.com member, 06 Spec.B with 6k miles w/ proscribed break in with the plastic still on the back seats and unused summer mats, I dun good.

great choice.

I'm holding out to drive the new 135 (same TT engine) for well under $40k

+1... My loyalty to Subaru and my legacy will be fiercely tested in a few months if I can get one of these fully loaded for around 35k.

...sporting the hottest Legacy on the westside of my block:icon_bigg

Could be interesting except that it's German reliability. Major factor, IMHO.

I owned an E36 M3/4 and it was perfectly reliable for the years I owned it. I didn't have a single issue with the car. My '01 Audi S4, on the other hand, wasn't so... ;)

-Mike-

I owned an E36 M3/4 and it was perfectly reliable for the years I owned it. I didn't have a single issue with the car. My '01 Audi S4, on the other hand, wasn't so... ;)

-Mike-

I have no studder and could run the Subaru 200k miles with scheduled PM.

For $51k I'd go M and run that for 200k miles also with scheduled PM.

Not so sure a BMW would be as cheap in that regard. But if they are, more power to BMW.

For $51 large, I'm looking go and luxury. The 3 series isn't that but that's just fine for some and happy motoring to all.

Not to argue with your opinion:

“The 335i may just be the best car in the world at the moment, if you balance performance, style, and sheer driving pleasure against value for the dollar.” - Car and Driver, November 2006

:munch:

the boring flat dash that isn't angled to the driver looks like it was lifted out of something from the 80's...

This seems more 80s to me:

http://z.about.com/d/cars/1/0/s/d/ag_07legacygt_stereoac.jpg

Than this (sorry, can't find close up of radio):

http://star-motoring.com/archives/2007/1/22/motornews/325interior.jpg

On a side note, while looking for a shot, I came across a pic of the 135i interior, which we discussed earlier, but I hadn't seen before:

http://www.zcars.com.au/images/bmw-135i-coupe-interior1.jpg

Archived