LegacyGT.com

next mid-life crisis car?..........WWYD?

Ok, then I will agree that I look down on people buying extremely used/old highend cars who can't afford them if you agree that you look down on extremely wealthy people who buy a exotic/highend car for nothing more than a status symbol. (I would be shocked to see a MAN buy an exotic/highend sports car and never at least test the limits of it)

Ok? We both look down on people. Great!

I disdain people that spend large amounts of money just to flaunt that they have money.

These guys buying these cars fall into two categories as far as I am concerned. Those that appreciate the machine and what it can do, who go out and enjoy it for it's capabilities, and those that buy it for the same reason they would buy a flashy watch or jewelry. One is an enthusiast, the other is someone that just wants to be noticed. You can tell by talking to them which one they are. One asks questions about the product, the other talks about themselves incessantly. One will show up wearing blue jeans, the other wearing designer clothes and whatever sunglasses, watch, and shoes are in style. They both have money, but they have different goals. One wants the fancy sports car for the joy of driving, the other wants it for the joy of being noticed. I find the second type to be a vulgar human being all the way around.

I love being around the enthusiasts, and wish the poser-snob-yuppie types would just go away.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stereotype or classify? I am classified as a white middleclass man by the government. Others I know are classified as white wealthy men by the government. Others I know are classified as poor white men by the goverment. Not stereotyping, I am just classifying how I see things and how I view them.

Stereotype or classify? I am classified as a white middleclass man by the government. Others I know are classified as white wealthy men by the government. Others I know are classified as poor white men by the goverment. Not stereotyping, I am just classifying how I see things and how I view them.

So be it. I would just have to classify a guy that can't afford a brand new 911 that picks up a used one because he likes it and enjoys driving it as an enthusiast, not a poser. When the guy doesn't care what others think, and didn't buy the car as a status symbol then he is an enthusiast. Now if he bought it as a status symbol then yes he would be a poser.

Bosco, never over 140? You are a poser cause you just wanted a z06 and didn't plan to use it to the limits! POSER! Now get back in it and hit 180!

no just wanted the finest ultra performance car i could afford plus it's made in the good old US of a A and serviced at thousands of Chevolet dealers across the country. btw it will kick 98% of the cars on the roads ass if they beat me it's b/c they spent more money. dream on, oops, i meant pose on. ;) bosco

the top speed of a 03 Z06 is 172 mph according to what i've read

Stay Stock Stay Happy

WE can at least all agree the Megan"stone cold" Fox is hot can't we?

To get a little more back on subject he could also look at a used Srt10 Viper. A few years old one should be in the price range. Also a certified M5 wouldn't be a bad choice (00-05?). Anyway you cut it a car is a horrible investment. With the older Porsche like I was talking about its pretty much hit bottom and still worth a lot. You also don't have a chance of voiding the new car warranty by racing it either like you would with the vette. As I keep saying though I would wait to see the Camaro SS or the Challenger Srt8 and get either of those instead of a vette of 911 and still pocket some money.

WE can at least all agree the Megan"stone cold" Fox is hot can't we?

To get a little more back on subject he could also look at a used Srt10 Viper. A few years old one should be in the price range. Also a certified M5 wouldn't be a bad choice (00-05?). Anyway you cut it a car is a horrible investment. With the older Porsche like I was talking about its pretty much hit bottom and still worth a lot. You also don't have a chance of voiding the new car warranty by racing it either like you would with the vette. As I keep saying though I would wait to see the Camaro SS or the Challenger Srt8 and get either of those instead of a vette of 911 and still pocket some money.

Getting a higher level used car over a new lower level car isn't being a poser. Its being smarter! You don't take the new car deprication hit. You usually get more car for the cash. It gives you that chance to get the better car. If that makes you a poser then yep I'd be a poser. I'd rather get a used M5 (circa 00-05) then a new M3.

I am joshing you know. It's a killer car and in the hands of an "enthusiast" :) I wouldn't mind a 03 z06, but I will wait till I can afford a new one hahah ;) ;)

:) i know not a problem i can take alot of guff but just so everyone knows i love all the supercars some i can afford others i can't the biggest difference that i could see in them is materials and fit/finish. the high end Porsche, Ferrari, etc. are flat-out beautiful, the attention to detail is top drawer and you pay for it. i can also see even in my Z06 which btw i had the front fenders removed and readjusted b/c the gaps were off, that Chevolet spent all the money they had to work with on the drivetrain and it shows in the fit/finsh of it vs the performance of it. if you all are honest you will see that even the best car is still just a car nothing else. the performance of these machines are measured in factions and with a capable driver anyone of them would scare the bejesus out of you. the other thing is what a crappy world it would be if everyone drove the same machine. save the wave. :lol: bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

What are you wanting for it?

$35k 03 Z06 yellow/blk ALL options 7400 mi. chrome repro wheels, stock wheels in boxes, cover, bra, K/N, heated garage, never raced or wrecked, perfect was $53,105 new. http://www.edmunds.com listed at certified $36,200, dealer $34,500, private 32,300 theres a couple at dealers around here they want $37,500 with 50k miles. believe me mine is that nice and not abused i'll take it to any dealer in the area you want for an inspection. i'll keep it before i wholesale it so please no flaming (oh i saw one for xxxxx then buy that one i don't care) it's the one to have if you know anyone who wants this model. reason for sale want an '08 auto. bosco

wheels were $1300

bra $130

custom cover $140

K/N $60

now back on topic

Stay Stock Stay Happy

wow! this thread has generated 10X the number of responses that I expected and 10X the "enthusiasm"!

I doubt seriously that I'm getting a Porsche.....or at least a used Porsche. ;)

I will say that the Cayman S is a very attractive car with adequate performance for my tastes.

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/9052/porschecaymansbj1.jpg

j/k........the list price is $70K for this puppy.

if I was able to spend that much money, I wouldn't hesitate to step up to a Corvette Z06! :p

Many 'Porschofiles' claim that it handles the track better than a 911 b/c of its stiffer, smaller frame. Of course it would get tossed around on the straight, but if the track is all you care about... I would seriously consider one... Base price is only 60k... used could be had for well within your price range
lol

Its funny that with a Porsche you pay more for less. You pay more for a Cayman which is a hardtop then a Boxster which is a convertable. On the older stuff you buy a club sport, or a RS America which has crank windows, gutted interior and it would cost more then a fully loaded car.

I say Camaro or Challenger before vette still. That way if need be you could squeeze the kids in the back if needed.

Camaro maybe, I would pass on the Dodge. But I highly doubt a Camaro would be a "great" track car.

What makes you doubt it? IRS/IFS? v8? "American?" Define "great" track car please :confused:

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

I was thinking about this post again, and about the Porsche shiz, and I decided that the only Porsche I would get if I were you would be a used Cayman S.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-Porsche-Cayman-S-Coupe-Red-Black-Bose-Xenon_W0QQitemZ320140657011QQihZ011QQcategoryZ133217QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Great track car, pretty good looking, and it's a Porsche!! :) Oh, and its still under warranty (i think)

Archived