LegacyGT.com

next mid-life crisis car?..........WWYD?

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My grandpa (a very wealthy, accomplished man) says, "When you play the lottery, you have the same chance of winning as you do when you don't play."

Too funny :lol:

Megan header,Perrin TMIC, TD06-20G,AEM CAI, Lachute DP, Avo BOV, BC Coilovers, Magnaflow catback, Hawk HPS pads, Stoptech lines, Snow WI

thats a stupid statement. i've had Corvettes (4) my whole adult life even back when i was young and dumb. :rolleyes: bosco

I agree. Its an American Icon like the Mustang only its not lame, its a proven performer and you have to shell out $$$$$ for it.

we just picked up our new vette on monday....oh boy, is all i can say...my first car when i was 16 was a 1994 c4 aquamarine 6-speed vette with 17,000 original miles. im 20 now, and this new one truly is an animal. lower 12's stock. basic upgrades and you can be in the 11's.

we just picked up our new vette on monday....oh boy, is all i can say...my first car when i was 16 was a 1994 c4 aquamarine 6-speed vette with 17,000 original miles. im 20 now, and this new one truly is an animal. lower 12's stock. basic upgrades and you can be in the 11's.

welcome to the forum. btw you must be having your mid-life crisis early :rolleyes: enjoy. :lol: bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

too true. btw does the old boy have a Corvette? :rolleyes::lol: bosco

He's driven Crown Victorias his whole adult life and doesn't understand why you would spend any more money. Needless to say, there are a lot of things I do that he doesn't approve of...and I like it that way! :p

God bless you, your insurance costs and whoever is paying for it...I don't care if I was Bill Gates, Larry Ellis or me...I would not buy my kid a 'vette' for a first car...

Rehab is for quitters.

Ya, I was a little jealous when I read that. My first car was an '81 Accord HB.

+1, 2 Vettes by 20.....Dunno how you did/do it, but enjoy it, be responsible and don't prove any of those statistics right that drive your insurance through the roof!

life in spin cycle.....:spin:

Don't the new Vette's have leaf springs... like, on Ox carts and pickup trucks?

Or did they change that for '08? I don't really follow American muscle. I didn't have time to read through the entire thread so sorry if this has already been posted. Not that I'm bashing Vettes, they're very good at what they do but how often is it going to be at the drag strip? If I had your disposable income there would be some flavor of a turbo Porsche in my driveway.

Don't the new Vette's have leaf springs... like, on Ox carts and pickup trucks?

Or did they change that for '08? I don't really follow American muscle. I didn't have time to read through the entire thread so sorry if this has already been posted. Not that I'm bashing Vettes, they're very good at what they do but how often is it going to be at the drag strip? If I had your disposable income there would be some flavor of a turbo Porsche in my driveway.

I believe the car still uses leaf springs, and it is faster around a track than a 911....

That either means leaf springs and pushrods are not so outdated, or the Porsche sucks ass for a lot more money.

the C4/C5/C6 all use a transverse composite (fiberglass) single leaf spring which btw rides surprising well and allows the later models to achieve 1g+ lateral acceleration. bosco
Stay Stock Stay Happy

Wikipedia has a whole article on Corvette leaf springs :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corvette_leaf_springs

Interesting:

"Anecdotal evidence suggests that most Corvette owners are satisfied with the car’s suspension performance. Of those who are not, a small percentage have converted to coilover kits by Penske or otherwise. The chassis has all the necessary hardpoints already; the conversion is just a matter of removing the leaf spring and installing the coilover set in place of the existing shocks."

Who knows how reliable the Wikipedia is though...

Wikipedia has a whole article on Corvette leaf springs :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corvette_leaf_springs

Interesting:

"Anecdotal evidence suggests that most Corvette owners are satisfied with the car’s suspension performance. Of those who are not, a small percentage have converted to coilover kits by Penske or otherwise. The chassis has all the necessary hardpoints already; the conversion is just a matter of removing the leaf spring and installing the coilover set in place of the existing shocks."

Who knows how reliable the Wikipedia is though...

100% reliable on the coilovers. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

I didn't read all 5 pages of this LONG thread, but if you haven't owned anything with an LS1 or LS2 engine in it, you should! I miss that LS1 engine in my 2004 GTO. I miss it. That car ONLY had 350 hp, but it would haul ass and sound great doing it.

V8's are great. However, there is something to be said for a car that is very light that can be easily tossed around. Wait a minute! A C6 Corvette only weighs 3300 lbs! Buy the Vette. You'll grin every single time you drive it. I grinned every time I drove my GTO, and it was SLOW compared to the Vette.

If you need a 4 seater, you will probably not be able to get something light with a V8, but the 04 and up CTS-V is very close. One of those babies can be had for right around $30,000. Slap a Magnacharger on that CTS-V for an easy 530 hp.

For the money you have, you have a lot of options. So, buy used and you can sell and buy every few months until you find exactly what you like best... without really losing any money. You lose immediately when you buy a new vehicle, unless you keep it as an investment and don't drive it like a sports car should be driven.

I didn't read all 5 pages of this LONG thread, but if you haven't owned anything with an LS1 or LS2 engine in it, you should! I miss that LS1 engine in my 2004 GTO. I miss it. That car ONLY had 350 hp, but it would haul ass and sound great doing it.

V8's are great. However, there is something to be said for a car that is very light that can be easily tossed around. Wait a minute! A C6 Corvette only weighs 3300 lbs! Buy the Vette. You'll grin every single time you drive it. I grinned every time I drove my GTO, and it was SLOW compared to the Vette.

If you need a 4 seater, you will probably not be able to get something light with a V8, but the 04 and up CTS-V is very close. One of those babies can be had for right around $30,000. Slap a Magnacharger on that CTS-V for an easy 530 hp.

For the money you have, you have a lot of options. So, buy used and you can sell and buy every few months until you find exactly what you like best... without really losing any money. You lose immediately when you buy a new vehicle, unless you keep it as an investment and don't drive it like a sports car should be driven.

+1 on all this except the CTS-V suffers from notoriously bad rear-ends. :icon_neut. Any more power and you're just about certain to have to swap it.

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

+1 on all this except the CTS-V suffers from notoriously bad rear-ends. :icon_neut. Any more power and you're just about certain to have to swap it.

I have heard that. I didn't research it much though, because the car is out of my price range. I think that "wheel hop" on extremely hard launches is supposed to cause most of those.

Salma is HOT! :)

Salma is HOT! :)

Uh yah!!!! I've been in love wid-it since Desperado. Even preggers (sigh), she's fine as wine. :wub:

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

Archived