LegacyGT.com

The Kenwood KNA-G520 Navi is compatible with the DV3200?

deltabi

I hope there is a way to completely mute all of the speakers with this adapter. If all of the speakers are muted, then there's a chance the XM radio function can be used through the Garmin unit.

It would be nice to see what's playing on multiple XM stations on the screen.

What are you talking about? This adapter simply correct mistake in compatibility between oem monitor and kenwood KNA-G510 navi and nothing else.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The G510 should have an input for XM radio services. Looking at the G510 manual, it would plug into the nav unit where the FM traffic receiver should. From the screen, you can access the XM radio and traffic content.

At the very least, it seems like the adapter in conjunction with the oem screen and the G510 will allow for the option of either FM or XM traffic.

The G510 should have an input for XM radio services. Looking at the G510 manual, it would plug into the nav unit where the FM traffic receiver should. From the screen, you can access the XM radio and traffic content.

At the very least, it seems like the adapter in conjunction with the oem screen and the G510 will allow for the option of either FM or XM traffic.

I would assume that the XM radio output would have its own stereo output that could be plugged into the Aux port of the car.

If you did have the xm working it would not be very loud and would not mute out external sources from the radio. Best bet is to run it through the aux if you want to use the xm.

Really?

It looks like all you have to do with GNA-510 to get XM to work is too add the XM antenna and subscribe the 510. I doesn't have any external audio outputs on the 510 to pipe it through aux input. How would the 510 get XM through to the car speakers in other setups?

XM on factory screen, very interesting....

You could do XM but as grbspecb says, you would need to find a way to port the audio. The 510 is designed to work with a Kenwood headunit. Our nav screen was never designed to pass through stereo audio to the headunit. This means the XM audio would only be mono out of the front speakers with whatever is playing on the HU out of the rears.

The way I am running right now is I have the audio out lines from the 510 tapped and run to my aux in jack. This way if I want to hear the guidance I just have to switch to the aux feed (although I get a lot of alternator whine for some reason). This would work for the XM as well as it is a stereo feed. I will mention that tapping those wires was a PITA as they are something like 26 guage wires and very difficult to solder to.

Man, that adapter is tempting but it seems like an awful lot of money ($140 plus shipping) just to get this working. I will have to think about it some more.

I don't know. It would depend on how the sat input works. I know that the sat radio unit plugs into the HU with a rather large connector (many pins). I am not sure what would be required for the radio to accept a standard stereo feed on this line. The Aux input is far simpler.

From what I gather, the adapter could be used to allow normal nav operation with voice guidance. Then, if I wanted to use sat radio, I could just hit aux and listen through the aux. Voice guidance would still work, and presumably mute properly. I'd only have to get one sat tuner that will serve double duty with traffic. Maybe???

It's hard to tell if that would work without the the nav unit on hand. Actually, without the car either. I'm still waiting on how the '10 models will end up looking.....

Zimm, about the whine, perhaps a ground loop isolator would fix the whine?

• 1 month later...

Yes, it is completely satellite based. There is no inertial sensing like the OEM unit so if it loses reception it will lose it's location. It does do a little interpolation based on its last known speed but that is not always the greatest.

There have been a couple times where I will be on the freeway and go through a tunnel and, all of the sudden, I am on surface streets a couple block from the freeway for a second before it fully reaquires the signal.

Basically it functions exactly like all other portable Garmin units.

Hmm.... I have Garmin on my smart phone and I drive though a lot of areas with overpasses and tunnels. It freaks out in these scenarios which makes me a bit apprehensive about going with G510. I find that the DV3200 outperforms my Garmin XT smart phone software when giving directions, dealing with signal loss, multi level overlapping streets and tunnels.

Although, is their nothing stopping from using a G520 in North America?

• 1 month later...
Hmm.... I have Garmin on my smart phone and I drive though a lot of areas with overpasses and tunnels. It freaks out in these scenarios which makes me a bit apprehensive about going with G510. I find that the DV3200 outperforms my Garmin XT smart phone software when giving directions, dealing with signal loss, multi level overlapping streets and tunnels.

Although, is their nothing stopping from using a G520 in North America?

The G520 does not have the FM or XM traffic option according to the website. So you would have to decide if you'd rather have traffic info or the gyroscope.

• 2 months later...
The G520 does not have the FM or XM traffic option according to the website. So you would have to decide if you'd rather have traffic info or the gyroscope.

Not correct.

You can use Garmin GTM12, for example, as TMC receiver in Europe.

Simply plug it into mini-usb jack.

FYI, G510 and G520 have same firmware inside.

The only differences is old G510 is based on GVN52 and new is based on GVN53.

G510(GVN52) and G510(GVN53) have different firmwire.

• 3 weeks later...
some updates.

I found this video on youtube

YouTube - Kenwood KNA-G520 in Subaru outback

As I understood, he is from Czech republic (or may be Slovakia). He told, that he used some aftermarket cable (sounds like Autobenex) to connect his G520 to the subaru screen. And he told also, that he used it because authorized subaru technician said that he must do it, because this is the only way to success integration :)

After that, I wrote a letter to Czech kenwood authorized dealer: (contact information there: http://www.hifistodola.cz/kontakt/index.htm)

==========================================

> Hi,

> I want to install Kenwood KNA-G520 or KNA-421 in my Subaru Outback 2005

> with factory OEM screen (kenwood FGZ-201) and navigation. Should I buy

> some additional cables for it (I read on the forum about Autobenex

> cable)

> or it's not necessary?

and the answer is:

>> Hi,

>> you need an adapter kit for this installation. It´s easy and relative

>> quick.

>> The price is 6.990,- CZK (appr. 285 EUR). On stock.

>> Sncerelly,

>> Jan

>> Magic Acustic s.r.o.

>> Úvalská 20

>> 100 00, Praha 10

>> tel: 267 311 227

>> fax: 267 343 951

>> GSM: 724 275 155

======================================

afrer that I asked:

> Hi, Jan

> thank you for your answer

> When I use KNA-520 with it's own cable (connected directly to my OEM

> screen), navigation is ok, but voice guidance is not working if monitor is

> in the navy mode (but it's works in other modes, i.e. trip computer or tv)

> Does this adapter kit solve this problem and I will get voice guidance in

> any monitor mode?

and the answer is:

Hi Andrey,

this kit enable touch screen and all functions like with original Kenwood

LCD units.

So, I think this unit solve your problem.

Regards,

Jan

========================================================

So, As I understand, this kit make some translations from kenwood language to subaru language. Or may be I wrong :-)

Anyway, for me it's too expansive to buy some kit (or black box) where price is the same as my G510.

Regards

Hi there, I'm from the Czech republic (Prague) and am also thinking of how to get more maps into my 12/2003 EU Legacy 3.0 H6 sedan. If I get it right, they just provide you this adapter cable which you replace on the G520 unit and have everything working as with the stock 3200 unit? I think I'll pay them a visit in a week or two, because I was planning to buy the G520 unit, too. Need maps of Hungary/Slovakia/Ukraina badly :rolleyes:

Hi there, I'm from the Czech republic (Prague) and am also thinking of how to get more maps into my 12/2003 EU Legacy 3.0 H6 sedan. If I get it right, they just provide you this adapter cable which you replace on the G520 unit and have everything working as with the stock 3200 unit? I think I'll pay them a visit in a week or two, because I was planning to buy the G520 unit, too. Need maps of Hungary/Slovakia/Ukraina badly :rolleyes:

They can provide you with additional adapter/cable, which you should install between G510/520 unit and OEM monitor. And after that, you will get Garmin base map navigation on your OEM monitor.

You can find garmin ukraina map in the torrents.

Other European countries you can get there:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=253&pID=6299#coverageTab

• 2 weeks later...
They can provide you with additional adapter/cable, which you should install between G510/520 unit and OEM monitor. And after that, you will get Garmin base map navigation on your OEM monitor.

You can find garmin ukraina map in the torrents.

Other European countries you can get there:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=253&pID=6299#coverageTab

Thank you man. Another question, is this cable compatible only with the 520 unit, or is it possible to make it work with the newer 4xx units, too? Anybody tried to connect 4xx to their Subaru touchscreen? :rolleyes:

520/420/421 are very similar. (as far as I know, they are for the different markets, but all of them are build on the same garmin GVN52(53) unit)

I think, that it will work with new units too. (but I didn't tried)

Archived