LegacyGT.com

The Kenwood KNA-G520 Navi is compatible with the DV3200?

deltabi

Bump in case anyone knows of any current options that are available for this...

So this unit works. I bought one, and I love it. The only caveat is that you cannot get any audio with the factory HU. You have to have an aftermarket HU and route the audio via the i88 connector to your new HU. I'm using a JDM dash kit and a second aux-in with my Pioneer HU. If you're looking to source one of these, I'll PM you where I purchased mine. $165 + $50 for the FM traffic receiver. Purchased them last month, both refurbished, but good units. For voice guidance or any nav audio, you have to swap to an aux in. All in all, I like it far better than the factory nav unit.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok everyone. I have just installed the OEM nav into my legacy, and I just ordered a G510 to replace the DVD unit. I read this whole thread, and the device that agould "modifed" is found here: They want 500 - 700 dollars as the device comes out of russia.

http://www.tempgp.com/dynamic/?page=14

That is the orginal version. What it is used for is to connect a Lexus or Toyota OEM screen to say a car PC. (still not 100% sure how this helps us)

But the name of this device is an "AVC Lan to USB"

When i looked that up I found wiring diagrams... I do know a bit of electronics, but I havent found what I am looking for yet. See here:

http://www.softservice.com.pl/corolla/avc/avclan.php

All that being said, I still have no idea what any of this really means, but I am hoping someone else can take a look and maybe this bit of info can help us out to getting sound :)

^ Any pics of your setup?

I'll take some pics soon. It might actually be easier to make a drawing, as there are a lot of wires. The audio output of the nav unit is a line level mono signal, so you have to pipe it to an aux input or a separate amplifier. In reality, someone could just wire the audio to the aux in of the stock HU, assuming it is a newer model that has the aux-in. You just cannot get the automatic fade, as the G510 does not provide the signal to mute the front speakers. I am ok with trading this effect for a far better nav unit.

ok, so I have a dumb question.... you say its a line level mono signal. If you pipe it directly into the aux input of an 07 or up stereo, you will always get the nav sound when your on the aux input?

agold was saying that it depended on rx/tx and it needs to send the correct command.... but if this isnt true then there should be an "easy" fix.

Look at the Line Out Converters for adding an amp to a stock stereo. When it detects audio it will put power to a remote wire (to turn on the amp). If we took one of these converters, when it sences audio on the Mono line level signal, in theory it would put 12 volts to the remote wire. We could put in a reducer to make it 5 volts and then hook it up directly to the nav inputs on a stock head unit. the 5 volts would mute the radio and then it would output the audio to the nav in pins...

essentialy on a stock head unit, you have a nav and nav grnd and a mute pin. If you apply 5 volts to the mute (I think it is) it mutes the stereo and any audio comming from the Nav / Nav grnd audio will be played

So I dont see why we cant make or buy an audio sensing box, when the audio is senced it would power the mute wire and allow the navi signal in.

Does my rambaling make sence to anyone besides me?

This would bypass the screen needing to do any of the audio work, it would all be done between the G510 and your stock head unit.

What does everyone think? I cant do any testing because I have not recieved my G510 unit yet.

If anyone would want to test, you would just need to tap the Navi wires on the Stereo unit to the audio source on the G510. Then apply a 5 volt signal to the mute pin and see if you hear audio

On an 07 and up Radio this is the pin out for the 20 Pin connector:

1250783779_AudioPinout.jpg.937fec7b8b67e415078980dcde752ac2.jpg

So you would apply your mono signal to Navi (Pin 1) / Navi-gnd (pin 11)and then provide a 5 volt signal to the mute (Pin 7), and you should hear audio from your nav. If anyone can test this theory, and if it works, I can start to build a circut that will automatically provide the 5 volt mute signal.

I have a G510 in place of the OEM DVD unit. Plugs in perfectly. I didn't want spoken directions, so I don't care that I lost it.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

The problem, at least on my HK head unit is the mute delay. Music fades in/out. You'd lose half of the spoken directions.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

ok, so I have a dumb question.... you say its a line level mono signal. If you pipe it directly into the aux input of an 07 or up stereo, you will always get the nav sound when your on the aux input?

agold was saying that it depended on rx/tx and it needs to send the correct command.... but if this isnt true then there should be an "easy" fix.

Look at the Line Out Converters for adding an amp to a stock stereo. When it detects audio it will put power to a remote wire (to turn on the amp). If we took one of these converters, when it sences audio on the Mono line level signal, in theory it would put 12 volts to the remote wire. We could put in a reducer to make it 5 volts and then hook it up directly to the nav inputs on a stock head unit. the 5 volts would mute the radio and then it would output the audio to the nav in pins...

essentialy on a stock head unit, you have a nav and nav grnd and a mute pin. If you apply 5 volts to the mute (I think it is) it mutes the stereo and any audio comming from the Nav / Nav grnd audio will be played

So I dont see why we cant make or buy an audio sensing box, when the audio is senced it would power the mute wire and allow the navi signal in.

Does my rambaling make sence to anyone besides me?

This would bypass the screen needing to do any of the audio work, it would all be done between the G510 and your stock head unit.

What does everyone think? I cant do any testing because I have not recieved my G510 unit yet.

If anyone would want to test, you would just need to tap the Navi wires on the Stereo unit to the audio source on the G510. Then apply a 5 volt signal to the mute pin and see if you hear audio

On an 07 and up Radio this is the pin out for the 20 Pin connector:

So you would apply your mono signal to Navi (Pin 1) / Navi-gnd (pin 11)and then provide a 5 volt signal to the mute (Pin 7), and you should hear audio from your nav. If anyone can test this theory, and if it works, I can start to build a circut that will automatically provide the 5 volt mute signal.

Oh that I did not know.... I wonder if all the Head Units have the Fade???

So from the drawings, I do believe this is possible. Just to clarify: I have my G510 hooked up to the stock navi screen via the round Kenwood connector. The audio is carried over that. The i88 adapter has the pins for nav audio out plus the 5V control that tells the HU the nav is talking. I am using harnesses from SVXdc. There is also a beep 5V control wire, which plays the chime first. The factory HU mutes the front speakers to play the nav audio. I have a 2008 model which is not a HK unit. See this for detailed pictures of the i88 connector:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2469279&postcount=3

On my unit, when you press mute, it fades. When the OEM nav unit talks, it plays a chime, (which might be faded; not sure) and then plays the audio. We don't need the beep (chime) with the G510. You should be able to:

Put a line out converter on i88 pins:

Pin 2 Navi. Signal – Red/White

Pin 4 Navi. Signal + Red/Black

(I have these two pins connected to an RCA female connector)

Then create a circuit that sends 5V on i88 pin:

Pin 6 Navi. In Red

This should achieve exactly what you're looking for. Personally I don't mind swapping over to Aux to get my Nav audio, as I don't use it that often, and if I do, I am paying attention to where I'm going and not rocking out to something on my mp3 player. You could simply wire up pins 2 & 4 to your aux in easily enough too, without needing this circuit. Remember it is a single (mono) channel, so you would want to wire it to both left and right channels.

Also, I think the stock HU sucks. The HK HU probably is better, but I installed a JDM kit because I want an aftermarket HU that plays DVD's, Sirius (affordably), iPod integration, BT, etc. Keep us all in the loop on how this goes. Also, SVXdc can probably make an i88 adapter specifically for this so that you don't have to cut your factory harness. :)

Thanks for the info... The only difference is I dont have an i88 connector, as I have the manual climate controls. All my navi is controlled thru the 20 pin connector on my non HK HU. Can you tell me, when you are on aux with your setup and the navi talks, does it chime first?

Thanks for the info... The only difference is I dont have an i88 connector, as I have the manual climate controls. All my navi is controlled thru the 20 pin connector on my non HK HU. Can you tell me, when you are on aux with your setup and the navi talks, does it chime first?

I don't have the chime hooked up, as it is an additional 5V connector (i88 pin 8). The G510's audio is different, so (I think) any chimes would be generated by the G510, not by the HU like the factory nav is.

I don't know the pin-out of the back of the nav screen, but it is possible the colors may match for the same signals, IE: Red/White, Red/Black, Red.

Are you certain the pin-out for the 20 pin connector you posted is correct for your HU? It actually has pins for Nav? Based on your diagram, I would wire pins 1 & 11 to the Red/White & Red/Black from the back of the nav unit via the line converter, and then run your 5V output to pin 7. This is certainly a guess though, as your factory HU is totally different from mine.

For everyone else with a factory nav unit, my previous suggestion using the i88 connector should be correct.

So just a couple more things I thought of:

The G510 harness has only 4 wires, plus the Kenwood round data connector.

Yellow (Batt)

Red (Acc)

Black (Grnd)

Green (Parking, also ground)

The audio for the G510 is sent over the round Kenwood connector and is delivered to the nav screen. To route the audio, you have to tap the nav screen (or the i88 connector for everyone else). Look at the picture below:

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19527&d=1149818815

Tap the 20 pin nav connector for the audio out, mute, and chime from the nav screen. The wire colors ARE the same. I hope you have that connector. :)

Hey Dade,

I actually plan to tap the audio before the nav screen (right at the KNA-G510) the round Kenwood connector isnt round at that point, it seems to go into a white connector. It appears to be easily tappable there.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/pictures_new.php?id=6840&picture_id=174165

(picture 4 if the link doesnt take you right to it)

This way I rule out any incompatibility with our stock nav screen.

Also, The stock HU I am using is out of an 08 with manual hvac controls. (P-204UN)

On the back of this unit is the standard 16pin connector (for power and speakers) then there is the i85 connector which has the aux in and stearing wheel controls. Then there is the 20 pin connector which I have listed above that takes the Nav in, as well as the sat radio / cd Changer pins.

If you want to see more about these radios take a look at this thread.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9457033#post9457033

Hey Dade,

I actually plan to tap the audio before the nav screen (right at the KNA-G510) the round Kenwood connector isnt round at that point, it seems to go into a white connector. It appears to be easily tappable there.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/pictures_new.php?id=6840&picture_id=174165

(picture 4 if the link doesnt take you right to it)

This way I rule out any incompatibility with our stock nav screen.

Also, The stock HU I am using is out of an 08 with manual hvac controls. (P-204UN)

On the back of this unit is the standard 16pin connector (for power and speakers) then there is the i85 connector which has the aux in and stearing wheel controls. Then there is the 20 pin connector which I have listed above that takes the Nav in, as well as the sat radio / cd Changer pins.

If you want to see more about these radios take a look at this thread.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9457033#post9457033

You can certainly do whatever you think is best for your build. The plug on the G510 could be tapped as you mention, but I looked it over and have not found a pin-out to determine which wires carry the audio. The audio IS compatible with the OEM nav screen. It just does not send the mute command on its own. I don't know how the nav screen would behave if you tapped or cut some of the wires within the round Kenwood connector. The wires for the round connector on the G510 side are very small. There are 12 of them, two of which appear to be ground. They also carry the video and the touch control. With a connector like that, you don't know if it is measuring resistance or something, which tapping/soldering would impact. I still suggest you use the 20 pin nav connector to tap the audio. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

So Dade,

What pins on the nav screen (20 pin conenctor) are you running to the aux in?

If you had some pics that would be great.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19527&d=1149818815

Ok, so this image is upside down, but the two wires you need are the two closest to the round connector. I guess they are pins 1 & 11, or 10 & 20, depending on the direction of the connector.

The Red/Black is positive (+) [top right in the pic, bottom left on the unit], the Red/White is negative (-) [bottom left in the pic, top right on the unit].

The solid red wire on the opposite of the connector is the 5V mute lead. You should run this to your mute on your HU to see if it works with the DV3200. As previously mentioned, the KNA-G510 does not send the signal via this wire, so you should build a circuit to detect the audio and drop it to 5V's. The green is the beep/chime 5V wire; also not needed. ;)

Hey everyone, Just a quick update and question.

Update, still dont have my G510... Looks like it will be here today or tomorrow :)

Question, can anyone tell me for sure, in order to mute the stereo my is a P204, does it need a 5volt signal, or does it need to be grounded? I cant find the 20pin connector in the vacation pixs, so I am lost as to which one it is for sure. (the more I read, the more I think it needs to be grounded)

Thanks everyone.

Hey everyone, Just a quick update and question.

Update, still dont have my G510... Looks like it will be here today or tomorrow :)

Question, can anyone tell me for sure, in order to mute the stereo my is a P204, does it need a 5volt signal, or does it need to be grounded? I cant find the 20pin connector in the vacation pixs, so I am lost as to which one it is for sure. (the more I read, the more I think it needs to be grounded)

Thanks everyone.

Do you have the P204-UH stock radio? Is it the same as this unit?

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=916048

If so, I don't think you need to look at the 20 pin cd changer connector. This is the same unit as mine, and you would use the I88 connector to route the nav audio. The P204-UH has auto climate controls though, which is why I am fairly confused. Please confirm your part numbers of the stock radio you have in full, both front and in the top. Also a picture of your HU would be great. Thanks.

Its a P-204UN

Ok, so that is making sense. Generally mute is a ground, but I honestly don't know. I can't find any info on the mute line for the 20 pin connector. It is probably safer to ground it than to run any voltage to it. You may also want to email SVXdc and ask his opinion. He is pretty much the resident expert with all of Subaru's radio's. How is it coming along?

Archived