LegacyGT.com

The Kenwood KNA-G520 Navi is compatible with the DV3200?

deltabi

i sent an email to jl audio, they sell a remote level control add on that i think may solve our audio problem. i am still stuck on the isolation amp theory, thinking it holds the key to unlocking the nav audio with the kna-g510.

i still think if the right voltage decibel level is sent to the head unit, the nav audio will come out the other side. the job of the isolation amp(IC800) on the head unit is to keep nav audio from always passing through to the speakers, that is until it its told to do so.

Of your this is my last shot to integrate. my next options is to by the oem nav speaker from kenwood and hang it on the window. http://store.kenwoodusa.com/product.asp?sku=2598264

also hope that you get the part number for the other possible solution.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

some updates

I found a guy, who undersand kenwood touchscreen protocol.

He checked transmission between G510 and outback's monitor:

If monitor mode wasn't navi(i.e. trip computer or dvd), G510 sent mute_on signal and after speach, sent mute_off.

If monitor mode was navi, G510 didn't send mute_on signal but after speach sent mute_off.

The same test with oem_navi (or DV3200) and outback's monitor: in both mode, navi sent mute_on signal and after speach sent mute_off.

It takes some time to develop device which will solve this. But I think that we are on the right way.

Regards,

Andrey

some updates

I found a guy, who undersand kenwood touchscreen protocol.

He checked transmission between G510 and outback's monitor:

If monitor mode wasn't navi(i.e. trip computer or dvd), G510 sent mute_on signal and after speach, sent mute_off.

If monitor mode was navi, G510 didn't send mute_on signal but after speach sent mute_off.

The same test with oem_navi (or DV3200) and outback's monitor: in both mode, navi sent mute_on signal and after speach sent mute_off.

It takes some time to develop device which will solve this. But I think that we are on the right way.

Regards,

Andrey

Thanks for taking the time to look into this!

I'm not best person to help out with electronics but if you keep posting here. I'm sure that a more qualified person can push the project further ahead.

Hi guys,

take a look at the result! (with headphones!) :)

http://rutube.ru/tracks/779985.html?v=9dd8a6c393a785ddc55b4a98b64a71d3

or the same on youtube:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8t4KnGvoKc]YouTube - Kenwood KNA G510 Navigation in Subaru Outback[/ame]

Some theory at first. Monitor and NAVI unit speak to each other by Kenwood proprietary touch screen protocol. Monitor send to navi his state (i.e. “trip computer” mode or “navi” mode and etc.) some times/per second. Navi unit each time answer with “ok, I understand you”.

And we know that if monitor is in “trip computer” mode, then we can hear navi voice.

So, adapter does the following: Each time, when he get monitor status mode, he check it and if the status is “navi” simply change it to “trip computer”. After that, he send this status to navi unit. Adapter is based on Lexus adapter, which used to connect navi units to JDM Lexus OEM touch screen monitor.

To install adapter, it’s necessary to cut off TX line (grey wire) from monitor to the navi.

Unfortunately, this adapter is not free L. I don’t know the final price yet, but I think that it will cost about $100.

So now we have 2 opportunities to get voice in navi mode:

• to use additional active speaker
  • to use this adapter

Regards,

Andrey

adapter.jpg.851b2d1b887f75db85e26d9491118078.jpg

pic2.JPG.9d78cecde23d10d9bb9593b533d4866a.JPG

Navi sound is load enough, for me it's not necessary to use 100% volume.

I think, that it's may be possible. He made this adapter for me and I asked him to make 2 more for outback and tribeka from russian subaru's internet forum.

Hi lives in Moscow, like me. I met him and gave him devices (suba's monitor, oem navi and G510) for testing purposes.

Anyway, I'm happy now :-) I have a fully functional navi in my outback

Unfortunately, no :-(

There are custom adapters which were built by this guy, so no part numbers at all, only grey box with wires.

All I know is that he take this adapter as a base and make it more and more simple (at least we do not use 2 wires and USB connection, we definitely have another firmwire inside)

Unfortunately, no :-(

There are custom adapters which were built by this guy, so no part numbers at all, only grey box with wires.

All I know is that he take this adapter as a base and make it more and more simple (at least we do not use 2 wires and USB connection, we definitely have another firmwire inside)

Well, if you can find out. Let us know if he's willing to make some more and ship internationally. There are probably a few people here, who would be interested.

oops.. checked EMS and UPS sites in Russia.

Both of them offer express delivery only for $90-100 from Russia to USA.

Looks very strange, because I got some ebay items to Russia for about $35-$40.

Anyway I need some time to check, how to send items from Russia

Damn you people, I need to quit spending money and this is going to make me get a G510 now. I absolutely cannot stand the OEM Subaru Nav system. It is totally useless and woefully out of date. This adapter seems farily straightforward, hopefully we can either get this guy to import them for us or maybe find a US supplier that can do the job (HighlineCA perhaps...)

I sent an email to Garmin on this issue. It looks like the G510 is manufactured by Garmin for Kenwood. If we can get a firmware update for the G510 that will send out a "Mute On" signal when in Navi mode as well as in menu mode (instead of only sending the mute command in menu only) it should correct the issue without any adapters and make this a fully plug-and-play install. Hopefully they will be open to working this.

Haven't recieved a response yet. You have to go to the Garmin website to get the updated firmware which indicates to me that they are responsible for all software support for the unit. Also, it seems like everyone has hit a brick wall asking Kenwood for help on this.

Bottom line is that this should be an easy fix in the firmware to have the G510 send a "Mute_on" signal before speech output in the navi mode. We know it can because it does in the menus.

Hopefully I will hear something on this. It is such a small bug that you would think it could easily be fixed.

Now that I thought about it I sent a message to Kenwood as well. They may be able to work with Garmin and come up with something. I am hopeful (but doubtful) that this will work. If I do not get a good response from them hopefully we can get those adapters imported.

I was wondering if the folks that have installed the KNA-G510 could try something. I know that we have a diagnostic screen with factory nav that is accessed by pushing menu and then pushing and holding in the top center of the screen for 10 seconds. Could the guys with the G510 do this same procedure and see if you can access a diagnostic screen for that unit. I want to see if there are any settings in there that we can adjust. I know it is a long shot but perhaps there is a setting in there to make the G510 output a Mute_on command in the navi mode.

Let me know if you come up with something.

Well, no surprise but here is Kenwoods response:

Thank you for contacting Kenwood USA Corporation. As an authorized agent for Kenwood, we are responding to your recent email inquiry.

For any information regarding the Subaru nav units, you will need to contact 1-800-Subaru3. They have the support contract for these units.

Please feel free to contact us again with any additional questions.

Kevin H.

Product Support Representative

Kenwood USA Authorized Call Center

PO Box 22745

Long Beach, CA 90801-5745

Phone: 1-800-536-9663 x 1918

Fax: 1-559-324-4594

Email: http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Contact

Well I am still hopeful to get something out of Garmin. Looking at their website it looks like the KNA-G510 is a GVN 53 with some special coding to allow it to talk to the Kenwood deck.

One other thing that has crossed my mind, what if the GVN 53 software can be loaded on the G510. I bet there is a way to modify the serial comms from the G510 with this software and get this working.

More will need to be researched...

Oh, well maybe it is the GVN 52. They both look the same. I haven't had much luck figuring out if there is a way to modify the serial communication the unit send out. It seems that everything talking about the GVN unit is about getting other things to talk to it.

I remain convinced that a simple firmware tweak would correct this issue but it requires Garmin to take action and do the modification. I have order the unit and should have it on Monday. My plan is to install it and rig the sound in to my aux port for now. One benefit I see from doing it this way is that if one wants to get the XM navtraffic module for the G510 you will be able to get XM radio with the artist and title listed on the nav screen. Since the audio output through the NAV system is a mono only sound it would not be good to pipe the XM through but if it goes through the aux port we will have full stereo sound with volume control.

We will see where this goes...

Archived