LegacyGT.com

The Kenwood KNA-G520 Navi is compatible with the DV3200?

deltabi

Ok guys, So some positve results. I used a PAC SOEM-T line out convertor for the test.

This one:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_23128_PAC-SOEM-T.html

I wired in the nav line out, and the PAC detected the audio and turned on its remote wire (which is 12 volts[not what we need to mute[) So using a relay I did this:

pos2neg.gif.1e6dc609d8163b8a0b90cb855f8628f1.gif

Using the PAC along with this relay, It successfully muted the radio and I was able to hear the nav voice.

Two downfalls with this however.

1. Cut off the first second of the voice (it seemed to take this long to turn on) <-was able to resolve this (kinda) by turning on the chime before direction on the KNA-G510 (you dont hear the chime, but you hear the full voice)

2. The pac takes approx a minute before it turns off after it detects sound. I wanted a delayed off, but a minute is way too long, so I will need to find a circut that doesnt take so long to turn off.

All this being said, I may actualy go a different route. I would like XM radio, and I can hook up the XM antenna thru the KNA-G510 to get radio if I wire thru the aux input (the downfall to this, is mono audio) need to figgure out how to get left and right channels.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok guys, So some positve results. I used a PAC SOEM-T line out convertor for the test.

This one:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_23128_PAC-SOEM-T.html

I wired in the nav line out, and the PAC detected the audio and turned on its remote wire (which is 12 volts[not what we need to mute[) So using a relay I did this:

[ATTACH]119295[/ATTACH]

Using the PAC along with this relay, It successfully muted the radio and I was able to hear the nav voice.

Two downfalls with this however.

1. Cut off the first second of the voice (it seemed to take this long to turn on) <-was able to resolve this (kinda) by turning on the chime before direction on the KNA-G510 (you dont hear the chime, but you hear the full voice)

2. The pac takes approx a minute before it turns off after it detects sound. I wanted a delayed off, but a minute is way too long, so I will need to find a circut that doesnt take so long to turn off.

All this being said, I may actualy go a different route. I would like XM radio, and I can hook up the XM antenna thru the KNA-G510 to get radio if I wire thru the aux input (the downfall to this, is mono audio) need to figgure out how to get left and right channels.

Hey, this is good news. I guess it was ground after all. I decided to use an FM traffic receiver (GTM-10) with the G510, so for me XM wouldn't be possible thru the G510. I use a Sirius tuner with my Pioneer HU instead. Most new aftermarket HU's have a mute wire, which is nice except I would like it to auto switch to aux input when it detects it. I have not seen anything capable for this, so I just manually swap when I need the nav audio.

You might be able to get 2 channel audio from the G510 directly, but it may only have 1 channel to begin with. I have not found much info at all regarding the pinout of the round Kenwood connector. I'm glad to see you got the concept working though. I am certain this will help many others out.

So, how close do we think the KNA-G510 is to the GVN-53(Garmin Version)

Here is the pinout for the garmin one... One of the pins is a mute... it also has line level out as well as speaker out....

4312_31_01_08_12_27_17.jpg.848889fcbdb1b43b58eed11132460edb.jpg

*Ignore the yellow highlighting. Doesnt mean anything.. I dont think*

4312_31_01_08_12_29_56.GIF.1aed98ea38c817e930b764278c42ec3f.GIF

So, how close do we think the KNA-G510 is to the GVN-53(Garmin Version)

Here is the pinout for the garmin one... One of the pins is a mute... it also has line level out as well as speaker out....

[ATTACH]119317[/ATTACH]

*Ignore the yellow highlighting. Doesnt mean anything.. I dont think*

[ATTACH]119318[/ATTACH]

Well aren't you resourceful! Based on the fact that it says GVN 53 on the back, I'd bet you are correct. In fact, it looks like the nav screen is actually using those line level outputs, and not the amplified ones. I stand corrected. You should use pins 6, 7, & 19. I'm assuming the screen won't care if it is missing the ground on pin 19, though we can't be sure until you start hacking it up..... :)

Doesn't look like pin 8 for mute is being used. Think that's a ground too?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA..... 17 Page thread that was started in 2007... and it takes a Canadian (approx. 5 years later) to figure this out.

****sorry to sound a little rude.. just excited that it works****

Post #253 this is an accurate pin out for the KNA-G510 (for the audio... thats all that I tested)

Pins 6 (Right), 7(left) & 19(ground) are the pins for L&R Audio

AND

(This next part needs caps lock.... very excited)

FOR ANYONE WHO HAS THIS HOOKED UP ALREADY PIN 8 ON THE KNA-G510 (not the screen) IS A MUTE WIRE... HOOK THIS UP TO THE MUTE ON THE OEM HEAD UNIT AND YOUR GOOD TO GO.... (note this may be different for you auto climate control people, as I only tried this on P-204UN (manual climate control) where the mute wire is on the 20 pin connector.....

I just tested this with extra wire pushed into the connectors... so once I wire it all up properly, and I buy the XM radio antenna (Will probably take a week or so to get here), I will post back with a video to show you all the mute wire functioning and the full L&R sound hooked up thru the aux in for xm radio (controlled via the oem touch screen)

Wish me luck :)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA..... 17 Page thread that was started in 2007... and it takes a Canadian (approx. 5 years later) to figure this out.

****sorry to sound a little rude.. just excited that it works****

Post #253 this is an accurate pin out for the KNA-G510 (for the audio... thats all that I tested)

Pins 6 (Right), 7(left) & 19(ground) are the pins for L&R Audio

AND

(This next part needs caps lock.... very excited)

FOR ANYONE WHO HAS THIS HOOKED UP ALREADY PIN 8 ON THE KNA-G510 (not the screen) IS A MUTE WIRE... HOOK THIS UP TO THE MUTE ON THE OEM HEAD UNIT AND YOUR GOOD TO GO.... (note this may be different for you auto climate control people, as I only tried this on P-204UN (manual climate control) where the mute wire is on the 20 pin connector.....

I just tested this with extra wire pushed into the connectors... so once I wire it all up properly, and I buy the XM radio antenna (Will probably take a week or so to get here), I will post back with a video to show you all the mute wire functioning and the full L&R sound hooked up thru the aux in for xm radio (controlled via the oem touch screen)

Wish me luck :)

Oh Canada! This is great news, and I'm sure everyone appreciates the work you've done. As far as aftermarket HU's though, just connecting Mute won't actually help, as it won't swap over to your aux-in. This works because of your Subaru HU with manual climate controls. Just sayin'. :)

Glad you got it up and running. Good luck on the XM!

• 1 year later...
So I just need to hook up pin 8 from the kna to the mute pin on my radio to get navi tts instructions? :lol:

Depends on your radio. Do you have dual climate controls? Is your unit aftermarket? What's the model of your HU?

Depends on your radio. Do you have dual climate controls? Is your unit aftermarket? What's the model of your HU?

I've got a stock Kenwood gx-204kh with single zone climate. It looks very similar to your P204-UH.

If I switch the screen from info to nav halfway through the TTS instructions, the audio still works and the radio appears to be unmuted.

As others have pointed out, it works flawlessly on anything but the Nav input.

Is pin 8 on the 510 ground only, or is it sending 5V?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...
So I have an 08 Legacy Spec B. Dual Zone Climate and the GPS DVD Unit under the seat went bad. Getting an error screen and the DVD won't come out. Doesn't look good but tossing the idea around of having the G510 replace the DVD unit. Is there a harness needed at all? Don't care about the voice bit.

So I have an 08 Legacy Spec B. Dual Zone Climate and the GPS DVD Unit under the seat went bad. Getting an error screen and the DVD won't come out. Doesn't look good but tossing the idea around of having the G510 replace the DVD unit. Is there a harness needed at all? Don't care about the voice bit.

From what I remember, no harness is needed if you don't care about the voice. There's another unit that apparently works with out screens. It's an android based system that looks pretty interesting. I'll have to pull up the link for you when I'm back at a computer.

So the G510 arrived and I'm trying to get it to install.

The factory GPS plug does not fit into the slot on the G510.

The data plug appears to be the same but you'll need to route the cable. (wish you could use the factory cable as it'd be much easier)

There is a third power? plug on the DVD unit under the driver's seat. Anyone know what the wiring is coded?

Here is the update so far.

Hooked up the g510 unit.

Navigation displays on LCD, Destintation button brings up Nav destination function, Menu brings up the Nav menu, and the Map button brings the map up.

The info and calendar buttons can be used and switched back to the nav with no problems.

One Issue so far!!! There is no sound coming from the unit. I am looking into this. One thing I am going to do is see if I can try to hook up a headphone speaker to the g510 box directly and see if I get any sound to make sure the pins between the lcd and the unit are matching up, from what I saw and taking apart the connector it looks like wiring is all good so far.

I have not given up yet,and now will try to tackle the sound issue as its a nice nav unit that is updateable easily with new maps, custom POIS, speecams etc.

Any one have any ideas on the Nav and how the sound comes out of the current nav. Hopefully I don't have a bad unit.

Prior to hooking this up I tried to get any info I could out of Subaru, Kenwood, and Garmin, you all know what I foudn out, NOTHING.

So we are half way there. Any help fire away!!

This is all I remember reading. Not sure how he did it

All done. While the data harness plugs directly into the unit, it still needed to be routed around. For those looking to install the 510:

a. You'll need to use the GPS antenna that came with the unit as the OEM plug does not fit the 510.

b. There is a harness supplied with the 510. That harness has a data cable and 4 wires.

Red - Acc, Yellow - Power, Black-GND, Green-Parking brake. I didn't hook up the green one.

c. On the DVD unit there are three plugs. A GPS antenna (no longer used), a Data Cable (no longer used), and a ????which does ?????. I have no idea what those were for. Probably the power for the unit but it was a 10 pin plug with 6 wires in it.

The unit is up and running. Typical Garmin interface and it does include the calendar and fuel efficiency screens the OEM unit had. No idea about the voice yet. Haven't tried but the "chirp" when pushing the screen is coming through the speakers. Fingers crossed.

All done. While the data harness plugs directly into the unit, it still needed to be routed around. For those looking to install the 510:

a. You'll need to use the GPS antenna that came with the unit as the OEM plug does not fit the 510.

b. There is a harness supplied with the 510. That harness has a data cable and 4 wires.

Red - Acc, Yellow - Power, Black-GND, Green-Parking brake. I didn't hook up the green one.

c. On the DVD unit there are three plugs. A GPS antenna (no longer used), a Data Cable (no longer used), and a ????which does ?????. I have no idea what those were for. Probably the power for the unit but it was a 10 pin plug with 6 wires in it.

The unit is up and running. Typical Garmin interface and it does include the calendar and fuel efficiency screens the OEM unit had. No idea about the voice yet. Haven't tried but the "chirp" when pushing the screen is coming through the speakers. Fingers crossed.

Awesome! Glad to hear! From what I remember, the voice will not come through because the mute signal sent by the G510 is not the same as the stock unit. Subaru's version does it differently so in order for it to work, you need to convert the G510 signal into the format that the Subaru headunit is expecting.

Green-Parking brake. I didn't hook up the green one.

You should wire green to ground. When grounded, it tells the GPS the parking brake is on, and allows you to input a destination.

From what I remember, the voice will not come through because the mute signal sent by the G510 is not the same as the stock unit. Subaru's version does it differently so in order for it to work, you need to convert the G510 signal into the format that the Subaru headunit is expecting.

The G510 outputs ground as Mute (which is not hooked up with the harness supplied), while the Subaru display expects +5V. I designed a circuit which changes GND to +5V, and an working on integrating it into a Tribeca. I can provide more detail if interested.

Thanks Dade. I'll give it a shot to see if I really need the voice. I ended up turning it off to begin with most of the time. A few notes since the install.

a. Drove it this morning and all of the settings were lost. Had to set it up again. Probably running the battery power to the wrong fuse. I'll have to fix that.

b. I could not get the unit to update the maps. Garmin calls for the update to be uploaded on a SD card and then put in the unit before it powers up. After a bit of research I found out that many older units such as the 510 will not read SDHC or Ultra SD cards. Only the older format (Fat16) cards would work. All of the SD cards I had around the house were SDHC. Ordered a couple on Amazon and will try updating once they arrive.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks Dade. I'll give it a shot to see if I really need the voice. I ended up turning it off to begin with most of the time. A few notes since the install.

a. Drove it this morning and all of the settings were lost. Had to set it up again. Probably running the battery power to the wrong fuse. I'll have to fix that.

b. I could not get the unit to update the maps. Garmin calls for the update to be uploaded on a SD card and then put in the unit before it powers up. After a bit of research I found out that many older units such as the 510 will not read SDHC or Ultra SD cards. Only the older format (Fat16) cards would work. All of the SD cards I had around the house were SDHC. Ordered a couple on Amazon and will try updating once they arrive.

I'll keep you posted.

You'll need to find a 2GB SD card (or smaller) and load the last firmware from here. After that update, you can use SDHC cards (FAT32). I'm using a 4GB SDHC.

Worked like a champ. Standard SD card (2GB) and it took the update without a problem this morning. Not sure it did a lot more in terms of looks.

Has anyone taken the software or maps further? Didn't know if it was worth or capable of using City Navigator NA from Garmin.

Worked like a champ. Standard SD card (2GB) and it took the update without a problem this morning. Not sure it did a lot more in terms of looks.

Has anyone taken the software or maps further? Didn't know if it was worth or capable of using City Navigator NA from Garmin.

You can use the City Navigator maps from any appropriate region on this unit, but it doesn't make use of the extras such as 3D, JCV, SID, G2S, or DB files. Just the basic map named gmapsupp.img on the SD card will do.

• 3 months later...

Bump this for more info/links :)

From what I remember, no harness is needed if you don't care about the voice. There's another unit that apparently works with out screens. It's an android based system that looks pretty interesting. I'll have to pull up the link for you when I'm back at a computer.

Archived