LegacyGT.com

The Kenwood KNA-G520 Navi is compatible with the DV3200?

deltabi

The G510 is now installed in my car. i am adding traffic to it and voice routing this week.

i am going to open a new thread with pictures and a link to a video of it in action and its features.

look for the thread this weekend. then after seeing what i did and had to be done others can decide if this is for them.

my last part of the project is muting the radio and driving the voice to be heard.

i did a test today and routing and use was great and easy

Nice news! I'm happy for you. I'll read with interest the posts in the new thread.

Now I just have to find an original Nav unit in some wrecked Legacy/Outback because I think I don't want to shell out 3000 euros for a brand new one!!! (I really think I will never find it...:mad:)

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some clarification please?

So everything is up, but audio only works through a separate set of speakers? It will not do voice over like OEM system?

If this is the case I don't really feel that the G510 is truly compatible because of no integrated voice over. (Thats just my personal opinion).

If you are trying to do a setup of outputting to front speakers and doing a mute (basically what OEM does) you're going to run into a problem of knowing when to mute for Voice Over. I'll review my tech diagrams again and see what it has but from what I studied it was a signal from the screen that muted the front speakers. I don't think it'll be hard for you to tap that circuit out and wire it to your G510 instead. The only problem is you need to get a mute signal out of that G510. If the 510 doesn't have such signal then you will need a board that will mute radio when it detects noise on the 510 audio, and then un mute when 510 goes silent (not a simple project).

It would be better to know why g510 isn't sending the mute signal to the screen to mute the radio input. I really wish I had better resources to Kenwood tech manuals. Whoever got the original DV3200 and the FG-xxxx screen tech manuals got some really secrete stuff. I wish I had whatever access they had to get more stuff so I can research more.

FWIW, I use the KNA-G510 in my Legacy along with a Kenwood DD headunit. I have most of the audible promts disabled because I find them annoying. The only things that chims in over the music are traffic alerts and when the destination is read aloud prior to its selection.

Its a very easy to use interface and upgradable via SD card with firmware and maps from garmin. For how cheap and compact it is, I'd say this is a pretty viable solution for many, even w/o the audio integration.

ignore him, he'll go away.

i a going to test some of the open pins and see if there is a mute lead like the garmin version has.

i also built a circuit that will mute the radio, it requires low voltage to ser it off so i will test that tomorrow.

i hooked up traffic today and that it retty cool. i think it is much better than the stock nav.

i will report back on sat or sunday.

Finished the install late today so tomorrow will post pics and hopefully a video of everything in action. I have the Traffic module installed on it and works nicely. Also loaded various points of interests including redlight cameras, speed areas, etc.

So far a very nice unit, and the text to speech makes it so you don't have to look at the screen.

So far I have installed a small speaker in the headliner by the maps lights and it is great. I am now thinking I don't need to mute the radio. Although I have not given up on that yet.

• 5 months later...
Im still using the external speaker with the system. The system works great with the traffic module. Just wish I could get the sound through the car speakers instead of my hidden speaker by the rear view mirror. Camber posted something about voice colume and interface settings, but I am not sure how to do that.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

please take a look at the pictures attached. This is a 3200 navi unit.

Did you have the same cables in the right top corner with an RCA end in your old navi?

As I understand, one of them (black one) is audio output and, maybe, should be contacted somewhere to the radio unit.

So, If you had it with your old navi, you should clone audio output from G510 cable(pin 12 signal plus pin 6 ground) to this cable.

Regards,

Andrew

3200.jpg.bf8d5e52db2aef0e0d256beafb861160.jpg

3200-2.jpg.1984052116a2aae921ddd7d674ceb132.jpg

No, voice control is not necessary.

Did your old navi has 2 cables RCA ended(black and yellow)? Take a look on the first foto in my prev message. Do you see yellow RCA?

I don't know how it may work. Anyway, I'll try to ask someone, who have more knowledge in a such thinks.

Regards,

Andrew

3200-3.thumb.JPG.ed494078917d9061fac0e131de3d0adf.JPG

I was referring to the back of the unit that the voice control plug is present, but next to that input there are no RCA cabnles. Nothing to active speaker, it is my belief that the sound goes through the 13 pin large brown cable which the g510 has but no sound is present

Dear gentlemen,

I've been reading this forum since the beginning of the year, because I wanted to buy a Subaru Outback (I'm based in Italy).

Now I'm a proud owner of a new Outback 2.5i (AT MY07) and I can finally enjoy the Subaru's driving experience!

I'm now evaluating to install a navigator in my car and I'm considering basically two options:

1) Go with the OEM navi, or

2) Buy a Kenwood or Pioneer or whatever multimedia GPS entertainment system you prefer and mount it in the AVO/JapanParts/Rallitek double din bezel

I know this has been discussed a lot of times, but besides the pros and cons of each solutions (which everyone will evaluate as he/she prefers), I was thinking of building a system which provides the best of both worlds, at least for the navigation functionalities.

I'm thinking of integrate the Kenwood KNA-G510/G520 unit with the Subaru OEM display. As far as I know the Kenwood navigation interface is not changed (at least apparently) and thus the KNA-G510/G520 should work as the DV3200 does with the (original) Subaru display, which actually is a Kenwood unit.

In this way I could get very good navigation capabilities (with the new software contained in the G520) togheter with the Subaru car information system included in the OEM display.

Is there anyone who has done the same thoughts or eventually has tried this installation?

Regards.

I did and it did work on my JDM WR Ltd Leggy. Since then I have upgraded to a DNX 7200 Kenwood unit. I bought the A/C Adaptor kit from Japanparts.com. These will not work on the USDM Legacy.

http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/products/car/multimedia/multimedia/DNX7200/

The DNX 7200 is DVD/SatNav (Garmin) Integrated,iPod, TV, Video , USB the whole nine yards.

I'll post up a pic soon.

I now have two spare OEM Radio/CD units one JDM and the other UK Spec.

I received today my g510 from ebay and connected to my JDM Outback BPE '03 (it's like USDM '05)original monitor. At first, it started to work, but after some time the screen is freezed.

It looks like: navi start to work after ignition is on, then after some key pressing on the touchscreen it stopped. After a short while I hear that radio stop to play for about 2-3 seconds and then begin to play again. But navi screen is still freeze. The same symptoms was when I connect or disconnect navi unit from touchscreen while the radio was on: stop for a while and then start again

But if I don't press any keys on the screen - navi still works for a long time (I wait for 5 minutes and it still works).

I'll try to update firmwire, but I don't think that it will help :-(

So I don't know how to solve this problem...

Maybe kenwood made some modifications in the touchscreen, that '07 legacy screen started to work with g510?

so tinkered some more, on Saturday.

I was able to determine that pin out for audio on the Garmin side of the din connector. I connected a radio shack headphone amp and was able to route audio into the aux connector in the car. so one option is to leave it connected to aux audio all the time, if you want nav audio you would have to change over to aux.

I don’t think there is a mute lead, but might be a matter of voltage. Here is why I think this. after I reconnected the stock nav unit. I ran some test with the volume. with the car volume knob all set to zero, the nav voice was heard loud and clear when using stock setup. so I think, the nav signal triggers some type of amplification that is crudely mixed with regular audio. So it’s not a true mute, since mute you would not actually hear other audio.

if there are wiring experts here I can share the schematics for ddx8017 and our stock fgz000uf2. I am starting to think that the voltage coming out of the kna on the audio is too low. Again I can be totally wrong, god only knows in my head sometimes 2+2=5. thoughts??

I have the 510 nav unit hooked up to a small amplifier and an external speaker by the rear view mirror out of site. If it is a voltage issue, I can send the correct voltage from the amplifier by stepping down the voltage.

I have no clue if that is the issue though. SOmething is different between the audio output between the 510 and the 3200(factory) nav.

I think we will eventually solve this but need more manuals on the 510.

As you may know I have a had a few issues with my JDM Legacy with regards to the CD/Radio. Six disc is fab but no RDS or Name is a real pain. The Sat Nav touch screen is good for down town Tokyo but not the valleys of Wales. The install allows me to keep the OEM Screen and info.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/Moore0070/Audio1.jpg

Thankfully all is now well and I can confirm that I have now successfully upgraded the standard Legacy Radio/CD to a Kenwood DNX 7200.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/Moore0070/DVDVIDEOSetUp.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/Moore0070/SatNavSetUp.jpg

To do this I sourced a Subaru Upgrade Kit from www.japanparts.com , in the search engine enter the Car type for Legacy BP/BL and then enter Exterior and Interior, Parts by Subaru. Or enter number 107-209-006 in the Parts Number box.

On page 4 is the AV Panel.

There are three types, the Dual Zone, Single Zone and A/C.

You need the A/C for early 03 + models. Later Models require the black facia kits (I know I ordered one and it’s wrong unless you have an 06 + Leggy).

The kit comes with all the brackets and a Dual Antenne Cable if you need it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/Moore0070/ACUnitUpgrade.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/Moore0070/UpgradeAntenne.jpg

This is the picture of the later kit.

If anyone is interested it’s for sale. PM me for details but to get them here costs £178.

Also available is a JDM 6 Disc CD/Radio or a nearly new UK Spec Single Disc CD/Radio.

To upgrade to the Subaru Sat Nav costs £2300.

All in the install cost £820 with the panel and the DNX 7200 with iPod adaptor.

Ta

Ian

gsx95,

did you get sound on the left or right channel? (8th or 12th pin?) Or the sound from 510 is on both channels?

Tomorrow I will try to check this on my oem navi and on g510 and compare results.

Today I made some tests.

First of all, I found sound pins on the kenwood 22pin jack. Then I used external speaker and heard voice speach at the very low level. Sound was on both left and right channels.

After that, I used my notebook with additional active sound system as sound source, so I could make any sound volume. I connected this sound to the kenwood 22pin jack with no success, I didn't heard this sound in the car speakers.

So, I have no idea what to do next at this time.

Regards,

Andrew

Archived