LegacyGT.com

The Kenwood KNA-G520 Navi is compatible with the DV3200?

deltabi

Thanks agold

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f238/jacbjacb/Subaru/DSC08175.jpg

I'd like to thank Subaru of America for giving us the option to select HDD navi with DVD playback.

Although I wonder if it's really that useful or has a nice cool factor to it. :)

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi, that unit does look interesting (to me :spin:). What is the model number/type, please? ;)

Hi K1ngP1n

Sorry cant help yet ..... These pictures are of the same type of unit I have installed in my car .... but I found them on the internet. I was hopeing to identify the device without having to pull the car apart.

Does anyone know the units part number? ANYONE?

I will keep you posted.

I'd like to thank Subaru of America for giving us the option to select HDD navi with DVD playback.

Although I wonder if it's really that useful or has a nice cool factor to it. :)

DVD playback is great .... but device is a pain because I cant find out how to update maps for it! I have been told that Land Rover (Range Rover 05-09) maps work since they have HDD and DVD software on the same disk. An expensive test ......Then there is the language problem .... my unit is in Japanese! Great unit, cant use it!

HELP ! :confused:

Hi,

USDM outback have DV3200 navi unit, which installed under passenger seat. JDM (like my own) and EDM outback have FVZ-201 unit, installed in the glove box in the same place like yours. Only different between my and your navi is additional hdd unit.

About 520 unit – it’s old unit and I’m not sure, is it possible to order it. Anyway, you can buy any KNA device, unlock and install any Garmin map.

And about your mp3. I looked at the pictures you posted. Unfortunately, I think, that it’s not possible to save this functionality, if you replace oem hdd unit. Management channel between monitor and hdd unit are inside 13pin cable, in the same cable there are RGB signal from navi. If you want to replace navi, you should disconnect from monitor 13-pin oem cable which comes from hdd unit and connect KNA with it’s own cable.

The simplest way to install KNA unit is in the glove box, in the place of oem navi.

At the pictures:

• JDM and EDM navi unit (without hdd)
  • my KNA device in the glove box

Oh Boy I am new to this .... Jargon, EDM = European DM .... What is DM? USDM = USA spec DM? and I guess JDM = Japenese DM? .... OK, DM doesn’t seem to matter, I get the point.

I hadn’t seen the FVZ-201 before ..... so that is an all in one DVD based navigation device that fits in the glove box .... which maps does it use? Can I get a map for New Zealand? Is the FVZ-201 better or worse than the DV3200?

If the 520 is old .... what is new? That’s to say is there and new navigation unit that is SD based (smart card) has a gyro and will work with my existing Subaru OEM head unit? If not then I have limited options ..... The 520 has to be mounted flat? So the glove box is not an option and some long cables will be needed!

What is your KNA unit? .... I can see it says DVD, but is that a DVD navi unit or a DVD player you have installed? I guess if it is a DVD navi unit then the FVZ-201 is disconnected ..... if not, how did you splice in the FVZ-201 and the KNA unit into the original head unit? Confused?

What is the DVD device shown in your second photo?

Rgds

Oh Boy I am new to this .... Jargon, EDM = European DM .... What is DM? USDM = USA spec DM? and I guess JDM = Japenese DM? .... OK, DM doesn’t seem to matter, I get the point.

I hadn’t seen the FVZ-201 before ..... so that is an all in one DVD based navigation device that fits in the glove box .... which maps does it use? Can I get a map for New Zealand? Is the FVZ-201 better or worse than the DV3200?

If the 520 is old .... what is new? That’s to say is there and new navigation unit that is SD based (smart card) has a gyro and will work with my existing Subaru OEM head unit? If not then I have limited options ..... Does the 520 have to be mounted flat? If so the glove box is not an option and some long cables will be needed!

What is your KNA unit? .... I can see it says DVD, but is that a DVD navi unit or a DVD player you have installed? I guess if it is a DVD navi unit then the FVZ-201 is disconnected ..... if not, how did you splice in the FVZ-201 and the KNA unit into the original head unit? Confused?

What is the KNA navi part number and do you still use the original Subaru head unit? I wish to keep the head unit in place.

Rgds

DM is Domestic Market if I'm not mistaken. Good luck.

I just installed a G510 with a KOS-V500.

works great.

I still need to get a DVD/CD player for it.

Hi Hakgwai

Do you use the standard OEM Subaru head unit? If so do all the touch screen controls work or are you forced to use the KOS-V500's remote control?

Found on the internet "To view this on-screen display and menu system you will need the optional touch-screen Kenwood monitor (KOS-L702/KOS-L432, sold separately) or a special Kenwood adapter (sold separately) that converts the 20-pin proprietary monitor output to a standard composite video output so you can hookup your factory monitor or navigation screen". How did you hook up your system?

DVD playback is great .... but device is a pain because I cant find out how to update maps for it! I have been told that Land Rover (Range Rover 05-09) maps work since they have HDD and DVD software on the same disk. An expensive test ......Then there is the language problem .... my unit is in Japanese! Great unit, cant use it!

HELP ! :confused:

Forget about LR (LandRover) and other discs. You can download LR disk from torrents, it's free :), but ... Japanese navi is not compatible at all.

You have only one option to get working navi on your JDM Legacy or Outback - remove OEM navi block and install Kenwood KNA-G510(420/30 and so on).

But in your case, you will lost your DVD/MP3 playback feature.

Regards

Forget about LR (LandRover) and other discs. You can download LR disk from torrents, it's free :), but ... Japanese navi is not compatible at all.

You have only one option to get working navi on your JDM Legacy or Outback - remove OEM navi block and install Kenwood KNA-G510(420/30 and so on).

But in your case, you will lost your DVD/MP3 playback feature.

Regards

I wish I had a part number for this HDD Navi unit of mine .... that would certainly help my research a lot. You did'nt have my unit so what makes you so certain that no maps are available for it?

The Whereis Ver 5 New Zealand disk would be a torrent I would very much like to find and try. I have been told that the Land Rover disks contain both the DVD and the HDD navigation data.

I am still confused what the DVD player is in your glove box .... the one that is lit up ... not the OEM drive. May I refer you to my previous questions, the questions I asked you above (previous post).

Which is the newest model of the devices you are sugesting ..... I thought itwas the KNA-G520, is this not the case? If there is a newer device that will work, what is that called? :wub:

Maybe I should contimplate keeping the existing Navi,Mp3, DVD player and adding both a KNA-G520 and a KOS-V500 ...... takes some thinking about all this ! :eek:

I'm sure for 100% that Japanese navi is not compatible at all with all other. Trust me, there is completely different firmware inside. Your OEM navi compatible only with native Japanese disks :(

I compared my own OEM navi with the same, but European. They looked similar, but inside they are totally different. But anyway, you can try :)

DVD player in my glove box is not OEM. Mine is Prology DVD-500, which is a China 1/2 unit device. I used IR remote control for it. Because our audio head unit doesn't have audio aux input, I used my OEM TV tuner to connect this player (with some wire modifications of course).

For KNA - 520 is an old model, and I think that it's not possible to find it now in shop. Simply buy 510 on ebay, it will be cheaper. Or anyway you can buy official 431 in New Zealand. But what is the price for it? On ebay you can find 510 for ~$300 or may be cheaper.

I don't have any info about KOS-V500. But search this forum, I remember, that there was a thread about it and no solutions were found

Regards

Looks good: Eco routes, Lane assist, 3D buildings.

You can buy it and told as, if it's compatible with our OEM displays.

Yes I could ...... but it's an expensive experiment. "It's better to look before jumping" ...... Anyone know of any technical reason why this would not work?

agold you were selling adapters for the KNA-G520 sound, are you still sellling them?

Rgds

The reason is that our OEM displays officially are not supported.

And if you read this thread from beginning, you will find that with old version of firmware KNA-510 stopped to work (or freeze) after 40-60 sec after starting.

Now, from SW version 3.60 and higher, everything is ok.

Unfortunately, I don't have such adapters more.

The reason is that our OEM displays officially are not supported.

And if you read this thread from beginning, you will find that with old version of firmware KNA-510 stopped to work (or freeze) after 40-60 sec after starting.

Now, from SW version 3.60 and higher, everything is ok.

Unfortunately, I don't have such adapters more.

Thanks agold

You say "The reason is that our OEM displays officially are not supported" .... but that is not a technical reason why the monitors will not work .... as has been proved with the KNA-G510/520. It just means that we are in the area of experimentation. So I say again, is anyone aware why this would not work from a technical stand point?

I have read all of the tread ...... and I am aware that the firmware must be 3.60 or above - the current version is 4.00 ...... what is your point?

Great shame about the adapters ..... that could put an end to this project! Could you get another made and if not are you aware of any other options? :spin:

for 510/520/410/etc FW 3.60 and above is ok. For 610 I don't know.

I can ask a guy, to make more... But it's necessary to make 3-5 pcs at once and I don't have any reason to pay him in advance, sorry. (I mean that I don't have ~$500-600 for that).

And some words about "officially not supported". If our OEM monitor was fully supported, then such adapter will be not necessary.

for 510/520/410/etc FW 3.60 and above is ok. For 610 I don't know.

I can ask a guy, to make more... But it's necessary to make 3-5 pcs at once and I don't have any reason to pay him in advance, sorry. (I mean that I don't have ~$500-600 for that).

And some words about "officially not supported". If our OEM monitor was fully supported, then such adapter will be not necessary.

Hi agold

I cant afford USA $500-600 either - but I would be interested in one around the price you quoted before ...... could you ask fim for a firm quote please. Thank you.

I take it that the device has worked well for you with no hickups?

I am having great trouble trying to contact Eugeny Moiseenko also know as Zed_B4_SpecB ..... I have his ICQ number 315-094-123 but even that dos'nt seem to be working? Do you know if he is ill etc? do you have a regular email for him?

Thanks

1. found this info:

Display units supporting the Kenwood Advanced Navigation I/F are connectable to the KNA-G610/620T/630.

Below you can see which display units are connectable to the KNA-G610/620T/630 and which GPS Navigation systems are connectable to the KNA-NT100.

Caution: KNA-G610/620T/630 cannot be connected to the Display units before 2009 Models.

original text: http://www.kenwood.com/cs/ce/kna/

So, I'm sure, that 610 is not compatible with our units.

2. I will ask about adapter.

3. Are you a guy who ask him to replace japanese text on the monitor with english one? :) Post me PM because it's offtopic in this thread.

1. found this info:

Display units supporting the Kenwood Advanced Navigation I/F are connectable to the KNA-G610/620T/630.

Below you can see which display units are connectable to the KNA-G610/620T/630 and which GPS Navigation systems are connectable to the KNA-NT100.

Caution: KNA-G610/620T/630 cannot be connected to the Display units before 2009 Models.

original text: http://www.kenwood.com/cs/ce/kna/

So, I'm sure, that 610 is not compatible with our units.

agold you may be correct, but then again our OEM monitor wasnt listed for the KNA-G521/G510.

Others are saying "There's not a technical reason for it not to work because the interface is pretty simple (VGA display, data-link) but my Kenwood dealer tells me that the new navi may have a different plug style so as to allow more bandwidth". Time will tell.

Agold had an adapter made that was based on a Lexus adapter that was used to connect navigation units to JDM Lexus OEM touch screen monitors. I am told that the adapter worked in the following way. Each time, the adapter got a signal from the head unit saying that it was in navigation mode the adapter changed the signal to trip computer (a non navigation mode). This makes the mute_on and Mute_off function correctly.

To install the adapter agold cut off TX line (grey wire) from head unit to the KNA-G510 and installed the adapter in line.

If agold can not get anymore of these adapters ..... is there another source?

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f238/jacbjacb/Subaru/KNA-G520_SD-CARD.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well I finally purchased a KNA-G431B ..... I find that it is based on the Garmin GVN 53. It comes with no base maps, blank hence the “B”. The 3 in the 431 mean that it is an Asian market version. This actually means that it is the worldwide version, not Europe or the USA, the only other versions. I understand that the version differences are to do with the base map originally installed and the installed “spoken voices”. It seems that the **1 models have the SiRF Star 111 GPS chip set, this means that it gets better or more reliable GPS positions and therefore doesn’t need the gyro or speed sensor input for dead reckoning. That’s great unless you live in a place where there are a lot of tunnels ... Fortunately I don’t. The gyro versions must be mounted horizontally. The KNA-G431AU just has the Australian base map installed.

I will keep you posted as the installation progresses.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f238/jacbjacb/Subaru/KNA_G431.png

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f238/jacbjacb/Subaru/KNA-G431Box.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f238/jacbjacb/Subaru/DSCF8000.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f238/jacbjacb/Subaru/KNA-G431Wiring.jpg

I have now installed the KNA-G431.

I took the "feeds" from behind the head unit and ran them down to the KNA unit. I removed the "Barb" from the Subaru GPS aerial cover and was able to just swap the aerial covers, old for new - GREAT. I used the new Kenwood 13 pin cable.

I updated the device to Ver 4.0.

Yes, as expected I have the sound issue - adapter needed!

I also have a small issue to do with the Custom POI's. I am loading POI to my KNA-G431 via SD card following the instructions found on the Kenwood web site Link

All goes well and the device says that the POI's have been loaded, but when I look at “Tools”-“My Data”-“Custom POI's” nothing is listed?

I have updated the Garmin POI loader to Ver 2.5.4 - No difference

Loaded a POI with only 2 POI, in a single file - No difference

Deleted all POI's, powered down, installed new POI's - No difference

Perhaps I need to "hook up" the KNA to my PC via mini USB?

I have only tried CSV, not GPX files.

Are you having this problem - Do you have a fix? :confused:

Oh ....... In the KNA_G431 software menus there is a software switch that will turn On/Off "Safe Mode". This disables the parking brake feature in software so that it is possible to use the GPS even on the move. Hooking up the green wire (parking brake) is therefore not a "no no".

• 1 month later...

im so tempted to try the g610. I have been running the g510 for about 2 years now through the factory screen with a kenwood 812 HU down below for dual screen action.

Plugs are the same, looks like the protocol may have changed although I have seen some of the HU the 610 can be used with can also use the 510.

I like the 510 a lot but wouldn't mind an updated version.

Archived