LegacyGT.com

2.5GT Turbo Oil Supply Banjo Bolt Filter Removal

Um, there a TSB to the service dept.s telling them to remove the filters if they get the chance. Subaru themselves stopped fitting the filters sometime in '08.

Seems to me they are pulling a silent recall.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I read a couple threads on this damn Banjo bolt filter. I havent' found enough difinitive answers to prove to me that it's worth removing. It seems to me that everyone who has good turbo longevity has it because the maintain strict oil/filter change intervals.

Yep very strict OCI:rolleyes: about every 15k.:eek: Over 166k on original motor & turbo and still going strong :lol::lol::lol:.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

I read a couple threads on this damn Banjo bolt filter. I havent' found enough difinitive answers to prove to me that it's worth removing. It seems to me that everyone who has good turbo longevity has it because the maintain strict oil/filter change intervals.

I am at 80k and haven't touched the damn thing, but I have used OEM filters and changed my oil at least every 4k, usually closer to 3k. Most that have removed it claim the removal has kept their turbo running, but they have also been diligent about their OCIs. It seems the common factor in turbo longevity is maintenence, not the filter.

Poor maintenece will lead to poor oil quality which will cause the filter to clog, take out the filter, the particles could harm the turbo.

This is simply my conclusion I have drawn, take it with a grain of salt. Others will argue the banjo bolt is the single problem.

There have also been folks who've reported in the Warrany Issues and Problems thread on this subject who stuck to a strict OCI and still had their turbo die. It seems more like a crapshoot that anything else.

Yep very strict OCI:rolleyes: about every 15k.:eek: Over 166k on original motor & turbo and still going strong :lol::lol::lol:.

This is why I was sure to put "Very strict oil/filter" maintenence. If I understand correctly, you are very diligent on maintaining your filter.

Anyway... I think we've agreed to disagree on this one already ;)

Subaru themselves stopped fitting the filters sometime in '08.

Can anyone confirm that?

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Note that it only applies to FXT / Baja and STi models. Don't know why they singled those models out and decided to screw you...

http://i.imgur.com/f5o9h.gif

My '08 WRX (late '08 build) came with the filter in btw. I believe the '09 builds omitted them, and that should be when motors destined for LGT models also lost them.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

• 1 month later...
Hmm, I wonder If i can go to my dealer and they'll take it out. lol I've been feeling abnormally lazy for some reason

Guess there'd be no harm in asking. When I first had my car and inquired at a dealer about the advisability of removing it I was told that they didn't consider it worth the effort and cost unless they already had other things apart that would make the banjo and filter more accessible. There was definitely going to be a charge if they did it and the price was discouragingly high.

That assumes they can find it.http://forum.cog-online.org/Smileys/FantasticSmileys/embarrassed.gif I was having a oil change done by a dealer a couple of years ago and asked them to inspect the banjo bolt filter. I supplied them with print outs of pictures of the banjo bolt that appear earlier in this thread and they still could not find the bolt. http://forum.cog-online.org/Smileys/FantasticSmileys/undecided.gifhttp://forum.cog-online.org/Smileys/FantasticSmileys/41.gif

My dealer did it for me earlier this year. They charged me 99 bucks, inc the replacement bolt (I decided to replace). I feel better for having it checked, but the old filter was almost perfectly clean at 90K miles. So basically I spent a $100 bucks to feel better about a problem I didnt have, and wouldnt have been concerned about if I hadnt read this forum thread :-).

Dealer said they had never been asked to check one before.

Hey folks I have a question about the BANJO bolt and the whole turbo failure issue

1. I looked around this forum a lot and learned that there are lots of turbo failures at aroung 100-120k miles.

2. Then I realized that the issue is coming from this infamous banjo bolt which supposedly has an oil passage in it and when it gets clogged it leads to turbo oil starvation and then it fails? Correct me if I am wrong, I am trying to understand what the issue is...

Finally I am asking this because I am looking around for an 05 LGT, so far the ones that I have looked at all have about 100 000 miles on them and drive mint, what are the signs of a "ready to fail" turbo? What are the preventative measures aside from replacing it? Running frequent quality oil changes? Also what is the aftermath of a failed turbo? Just a turbo replacement or it damages the engine as well?

Thanks in advance!

Since I just blew my vf40 due to this problem a few days ago maybe I can add. First off my car threw a CEL saying cam overtiming, which due to someone on here means the heads are starving for oil. I found this out too late unfortunately. Anyway, that was the first sign which I had no idea was a sign. With that said, the signs of my turbo failing were nothing, and I was actually logging my car right up to about 10 min before boom. IMO there are no outright signs. When you actually see signs its too late. I changed my oil religiously. My car is at stage 2 power I might add.\

The aftermath is obviously a new turbo, new gaskets, a new turbo intake due to ripping, a new IC(optional), new oil lines(better flowing one) new tune, new oil and other odds and ends. All in all i will probably be looking at about 1500 dollars give or take. I hope to god the motor is ok and the new turbo will be fine but time will tell. Dont get me wrong I LOVE my LGT, but if you dont have a bank roll, stay stock. If you dont want to worry about stuff as much, buy an NA car. Otherwise turbos are great to play with and so much fun but as they say, you gotta pay to play. hope this helps.

SMSUBARU TURBO SPECIAL MESSAGE:

Subaru has published Service Bulletin # 02-103-07 that identifies a factory design related problem with premature clogging of the oil mesh screen located inside the oiling system that supplies the turbo charger on all model turbo charged cars. A clogged screen will result in oil starvation and turbo charger failure. Subaru has reduced their recommended oil drain interval in half, as a solution, from 7,500 miles to 3,750 miles (3-3/4 months) and requires the oil mesh screen to be inspected, and possibly serviced, at every oil change. With this Subaru factory related design issue, AMSOIL INC. therefore must recommend customers follow the new Subaru oil change interval of 3,750 miles or 3-3/4 months until Subaru resolves this issue.

Found this on Amsoil's website. Thought it was funny consider I cant find this anywhere but we all know this exists.

The aftermath is obviously a new turbo, new gaskets, a new turbo intake due to ripping, a new IC(optional), new oil lines(better flowing one) new tune, new oil and other odds and ends. All in all i will probably be looking at about 1500 dollars give or take. I hope to god the motor is ok and the new turbo will be fine but time will tell. Dont get me wrong I LOVE my LGT, but if you dont have a bank roll, stay stock. If you dont want to worry about stuff as much, buy an NA car. Otherwise turbos are great to play with and so much fun but as they say, you gotta pay to play. hope this helps.

And, if your turbo did grenade, I'd put changing out the oil cooler (immediately above your oil filter) on that list too. I've not heard of anyone adequately clearing these of metal debris.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I was going to do that but it didnt really grenade. I just snapped the shaft, no fin are missing or anything because I fortunately was about 1/2 mile from my house when it went so I coasted/limped home. Dont see any metal in the oil and I cut my filter apart and didnt find anything. The compressor wheel had no damage and the exhaust wheel was bent slightly so it didn't explode.

SOOOO, I did this today. I Promptly dropped one of the crush washers into the nether regions of the motor. Disassembled everything I could find to get to where it fell and still couldn't find it..... Anyhow... 62.5k miles and it was clean save for a few random sand grain sized bits. Although, I did find a bunch of chunks of something in the top oil feed bolt going to the turbo... so go figure.

I called Winchester Subuaru on Friday...asked if they would remove the banjo bolt filter...Service manager said, "yes, we do, but it's a 6 hour service, approximately $600." I lol'd...said, ok. Nevermind. Really, 6 hours??!!

I called Winchester Subuaru on Friday...asked if they would remove the banjo bolt filter...Service manager said, "yes, we do, but it's a 6 hour service, approximately $600." I lol'd...said, ok. Nevermind. Really, 6 hours??!!

Umm, what? Maybe they were thinking of the AVCS bolt, which is supposed to be harder to get to? Your info says an '05 ('07+ is a little harder to get to). On my '05 (5EAT), I did remove, inspect and replace in just over an hour. And that was my first time, and I'm nowhere near as skilled as some people here. Really, if you have a few tools, this isn't much more than an oil change..

I was put on hold...came back and said "we have guys that drive wrx's and sti's that have them removed." "There's a screen." Pretty sure he meant banjo bolt filter.

After reading several pages in this thread, I'll continue to change/check my oil regularly (every 3k).

Umm, what? Maybe they were thinking of the AVCS bolt, which is supposed to be harder to get to? Your info says an '05 ('07+ is a little harder to get to). On my '05 (5EAT), I did remove, inspect and replace in just over an hour. And that was my first time, and I'm nowhere near as skilled as some people here. Really, if you have a few tools, this isn't much more than an oil change..

SOOOO, I did this today. I Promptly dropped one of the crush washers into the nether regions of the motor.

Bummer. Did you miss the suggestion about tying a loop of thread through the washer to lower it into position?

Bummer. Did you miss the suggestion about tying a loop of thread through the washer to lower it into position?

Not only did i miss it, but i discovered my own way after I lost the next set of them this afternoon. The last two in the state of hawaii I might add. And naturally it takes them weeks to get replacements so i'm just fucked.

Anyway, I found that a piece of scotch tape about 6 inches long doubled over and stuck to just the edge on each side of the top of the washer gave me plenty of hold, and enough ridgidity in side to side motion that it was a piece of cake to position.

Not only did i miss it, but i discovered my own way after I lost the next set of them this afternoon. The last two in the state of hawaii I might add. And naturally it takes them weeks to get replacements so i'm just fucked.

Anyway, I found that a piece of scotch tape about 6 inches long doubled over and stuck to just the edge on each side of the top of the washer gave me plenty of hold, and enough ridgidity in side to side motion that it was a piece of cake to position.

When I did mine, I lost several washers. Then a friend suggested using some assembly lube to keep the crush washer on the fitting while you position the banjo bolt through the opening. It worked like a charm.

Archived